PDA

View Full Version : RE's - XXX's

jimmyslide
03-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Long story short...will my XXX midbasses work with my RE crossover and tweets?

If not, anyone wanna buy a spare set of xxx's drivers? ;)

Shawn

Tedro
03-22-2005, 11:47 PM
haha!!!!

nope, they dont.

In soviet Russia, XXX's drivers buy you!!

that is all

JAZN
03-23-2005, 12:06 AM
how much? :D

jimmyslide
03-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Oh, we'll see about that...they just need a little repair, as the basket on one of them is broken, and I am in the process of talking to RE about it all. This whole situation really *****...meh.

So, they will not work together hey...what to do, what to do?

I wish someone would buy me. ;) Could be fun!

Shawn

Randy Savage
03-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Go active.

DoubleR
03-23-2005, 12:22 AM
What you looking to get for them??

jimmyslide
03-23-2005, 12:23 AM
I was thinking...a seperate amp and an active crossover and make some boom...my **** doors are gonna be like 300 lbs. each soon. **** SPL vehicle trying to be SQ...just not working properly!

Shawn

squeak9798
03-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Go active.

:word:

jimmyslide
03-23-2005, 11:33 AM
I am now looking at some RE RE's in each of my doors, and the XXX's drivers in the back on the strut towers, and my 2 ATOMICS in the hatch. Sounds good to me!!! Rather have the XXX's up front with the drivers, but there just isn't any room. Maybe something creative under the dashboard firing down at the drivers and passengers feet.

Shawn

JoseMCeee
03-23-2005, 11:54 AM
I am now looking at some RE RE's in each of my doors, and the XXX's drivers in the back on the strut towers, and my 2 ATOMICS in the hatch. Sounds good to me!!! Rather have the XXX's up front with the drivers, but there just isn't any room. Maybe something creative under the dashboard firing down at the drivers and passengers feet.

Shawn

horns :yumyum:

squeak9798
03-23-2005, 12:00 PM

Shawn

If you put them in back, what frequency range would they be playing? Midbass?

IMHO, just seems like a waste to go through the expensive of buying an active xover and additional amplifier power for them, just to toss such nice speakers in the back. If you absolutely wanted something back there, I think it would be better to go active with the frontstage using the XXX mids and RE tweeters, then put the RE mids in back (and cross them using the passive for the lowpass, and use the highpass built into the amp).

jimmyslide
03-23-2005, 08:25 PM
OK...need all the opinions I can get. Here are my two options:

I currently have a set of RE components in my posession, and a set of XXX mids. What do I do? Send back the XXX mids and get the RE RE's I was supposed to have, giving me 2 pairs (1 for spare), or do I try to make the XXX mids work with the RE tweeters and buy an active crossover?

I know people will think that I am stupid for wanting to get rid of the XXX mids, but the thing is that they may not fit in my door, and I would need an active crossover, and I would need to get a more powerful amp. I currently have a 4 channel amp for the speakers which is 60x4 RMS.

Sorry for the rambling, but I don't know what to do!! I need help as the options are bothering me and I need advice ASAP!!!

Thanks guys, remember, send it to your friends.

jimmyslide
03-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Made the decision after talking to Mark somemore. I am going to keep the RE RE's and the XXX's. I am going to make them work. Active crossover or not, I will figure it out. What would you do in this situation?? How would you set it up?

Shawn

Phiber Optik
03-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Depending how good the crossover is on your 4 channel amp you might not need an active crossover.

The XXX mids are 2ohm, so you will get more power from your amp, unless the 60x4 rating was at 2ohm...

squeak9798
03-23-2005, 10:19 PM
I am going to assume it's the 4060 in his sig....which would give the XXX mids 90w RMS @ 2ohm.

Does your HU have an xovers built in?

jimmyslide
03-23-2005, 10:28 PM
Only for the subwoofer pre-out.

And yes, it is the 4060 and it will be around 90 @ 2ohms. Guess that will be god enough, and the amps crossover may infact work...who knows...

What impedance is the tweeter running at? I may just run both off the USAcoustics. I will just have to run my rear fills off the deck, simple enough. Now, just have to try to fit them in my **** door, let the fun begin!

Thanks Squeak
Shawn

squeak9798
03-23-2005, 10:33 PM
What impedance is the tweeter running at?

Quick check with the DMM could verify this, but I believe the RE tweets are 4ohm.

jimmyslide
03-23-2005, 10:51 PM
yeah...DMM is outside in the work van, and there is snow out there.

So, why won't the crossover from the RE's work? Just becasue of the impedance variation? And if so, what would you cross the XXX's over at? Any recommendations would be great, no experience with RE speakers as of yet.

Shawn

squeak9798
03-23-2005, 10:57 PM
So, why won't the crossover from the RE's work? Just becasue of the impedance variation?

Yes. 2ohm driver on a crossover designed for a 4ohm driver will cut the crossover frequency in half among other things. Not good.

And if so, what would you cross the XXX's over at? Any recommendations would be great, no experience with RE speakers as of yet.

Well, they are capable of playing pretty cleanly up to 5khz according to RE. IIRC, in the comp set they were going to be crossed over at like 4.2kzh (I think). Anyways, it's just something you will have to experiment with, as it depends on the acoustics of your vehicle aswell (since you are going active, that's one of the advantages....being able to play with the xover point for best in-car response).

If you really really wanted to go passive, RE may be able to tell you what crossover components to use to acheive best results with the XXX mids and RE tweeters. If you are handy with soldering skills, you may be able to just remove the components from the midwoofer section of the RE xovers and replace them with the correct values. Harder than it sounds, but may still work.

jimmyslide
03-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks Squeak...I will tr to figure something out and post pics and info as I go on. Ideas are still plenty and all mixed up in my head, so I will figure something out. Once again, thanks, and stay tuned...

Shawn

jimmyslide
03-23-2005, 11:20 PM
As far as soldering skills...they rock, so I will talk to RE again and see what I can do. :)

Shawn

Randy Savage
03-23-2005, 11:22 PM
www.madisound.com can make you a custom passive x-over to your desired specs

You can also go DIY, and pick up everything you need at partsexpress.com

Maybe try contacting Image Dynamics as well...? They make a 2 ohm crossover.

jimmyslide
03-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Do it myself hey...never tackled that feat before. Could be fun!!! Thanks man, might be the way to go, or I will just go active, who knows

Keep the ideas coming!

Shawn

Randy Savage
03-23-2005, 11:30 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?did=7&webpage_id=140

Look at the bottom as well, 'Resources & Articles'

jimmyslide
03-23-2005, 11:47 PM
They only have parts for 4 and 8 ohm...XXX mids are 2.

Shawn

Randy Savage
03-23-2005, 11:48 PM
Blah.

Try madisound.com :)

jimmyslide
03-23-2005, 11:51 PM
lol..you are just full of **** aren't ya...name coming outta your *** :)

Shawn

jimmyslide
03-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Now on to the next question...what the hell will fit around the XXX mids as far as grills go? The RE grills won't fit, so what do I do now? Who makes good grills for 6.5-7 inch speakers?

Shawn

cappy72
03-24-2005, 08:35 PM
i have the xxx6.5's and they dont have any tweet to accompany them BUT they are killing me with there pure sound and output... I am amazed by these things completely ... I am pushing them with about 190 rms,,,,

honestly it evens out the Se series subs perfectly...

I think you might want to consider upgrading your amp in the future...

not to hijack this but I got a question... if a sub-sonic filter doesnt play below a certain freq, a low pass x-over plays only below a certain freq. and a high pass x-over plays only above a certain freq.

then how can I with an active x-over prevent above 4.5khz from being played???

Tedro
03-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Now on to the next question...what the hell will fit around the XXX mids as far as grills go? The RE grills won't fit, so what do I do now? Who makes good grills for 6.5-7 inch speakers?

Shawn

im in the same boat as you...

I have been looking for grills for my mids for a wile no with no avail. I know that dynaudio makes 7" grills but cant find anybody to buy them off of. I have seen a lot of companys that have a 7" mid but have not been able to locate grills for said drivers. CDT does have a 7" mid that is part of their new ultra high-end components but they dont have the grills available yet. They said like 90 days and I can buy them for like $15. :rolleyes:

Keep a look out for me and I will keep my eye out for you too. ;)

jimmyslide
03-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Deal, I will try and hook you up!!! I know some peeps that can possible hook us up. I may also make something just outta metal. I am all crafty like that (Martha Stewart without the whole jail thing)

Shawn

Tedro
03-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Deal, I will try and hook you up!!! I know some peeps that can possible hook us up. I may also make something just outta metal. I am all crafty like that (Martha Stewart without the whole jail thing)

Shawn

I am crafy too, I was really looking for a more genaric off the shelf type one but it seems to good to be true. I would still like a nice grill though, I was thinking something machined out of aluminum with the RE or XXX logo in it err something like that. Im looking either for a simple off the shelf grill to help blend things in and look stock OR a really nice Grill that is somthing custom made and special to me... Super nice you know?

I just have sooooo many chicks in my car that they ALWAYs kick my door right where the speaker is and would not trust putting my mids in their without some kind of pertection. like bars going across or something simple to stop chicks foot from going through the speaker.

Let me know.

jimmyslide
03-24-2005, 09:51 PM
I know, it would be prime if I could just use the RE RE's covers...simple, effective, nice as heck, and they get the job done! Plus, I have a pair of covers. I know the feeling. When I had my kickers in there the grill was all dented from feet, I had to take it out every couple of months just to bend it back to how it was supposed to be. And those were just coaxials...I wanna protect these babies will all my power. :) I will be in touch...

Shawn

Phiber Optik
03-24-2005, 11:17 PM
not to hijack this but I got a question... if a sub-sonic filter doesnt play below a certain freq, a low pass x-over plays only below a certain freq. and a high pass x-over plays only above a certain freq.

subsonic set to 50hz and below, and then low pass at 4000hz...

some amps (like ARC audio) have a bandpass crossover which combines a high and low pass to select a certain frequency range.

squeak9798
03-24-2005, 11:37 PM

Bandpass filter; run a lowpass and highpass (or use a subsonic filter) on the speaker at the same time. Creates only a "passband" of unattenuated frequencies.

Though, I'd just like to point out....crossovers aren't brick walls, even with a lowpass filter on the speaker, 4.5khz will still be "played" by the speaker. However, the crossover point and slope will determine how much the signal is attenuated at 4.5khz. With a lowpass xoverpoint of 4khz, 4.5khz will still pass through to the speaker and be relatively audible (unless you are using an insanely steep slope).

cappy72
03-25-2005, 08:24 AM
good info thanks...