PDA

View Full Version : anyone have advice on setting filters and slopes?

g30ffr3y
03-22-2005, 11:00 AM
i was messing around with my 860 last night
and have come to the conclusion that i could
use some advice with it...

right now i have the sub filter set to 63hz
the rear playing 63hz and up
and the fronts playing 125 and up

theres slope adjustments that can be made as
well but im not sure that im clear on how i
should be setting these...

i was trying to get the rears to play midbass
but i dont think ive succeeded at all...

maybe if anyone could share thier settings or
give a HU noob a hand with setting this up
id really appreciate it...

thanks.

tRiGgEr
03-22-2005, 11:05 AM
You could set them all day but if you don't have a decent amp and speakers you will get nowhere. What speakers and amps are you running???

squeak9798
03-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Problem with questions like this is that there is no clear cut answer......every setting is going to be 100% setup/installation dependent. Even if someone has the exact same equipment as you, installed exactly how you do, but in a different car.....then the settings will be different to account for that particular vehicle's acoustics. Crossover slopes, crossover frequency, etc etc.....all just depends on what works best in your vehicle, with your equipment and your install.

The easiest way would be to find an RTA and use that to give you some guidance on where to set the xover points and slopes, then fine tune by ear. However, I'm going to guess that it's highly unlikely you'd be able to find one.

Honestly, what I would do is isolate each area.......Start with your front speakers. Disconnect everything else so that only the front speakers are playing. Then, play around with the slopes and xover points till you find the setting that works best for them. After you get that set where the front speakers sound best, disconnect everything so that only the rear speakers are playing....again, play with the slope and xover frequency till you find what works best for you. Then, I'd hook everything back up and set the sub xover/slope to where it sounds best. From there I would just do a little fine tuning with everything playing so that they all integrate well together.

req
03-22-2005, 11:13 AM
TBH, isnt 63hz for MIDRANGE wayyy too low? id play around with that. id put it round 80hz~400hz or somthing if you want midrange.

squeak9798
03-22-2005, 11:15 AM
TBH, isnt 63hz for MIDRANGE wayyy too low?

Not at all....depends on his speakers and install. I have my mids playing all the way down to 50hz.

tRiGgEr
03-22-2005, 11:17 AM
TBH, isnt 63hz for MIDRANGE wayyy too low? id play around with that. id put it round 80hz~400hz or somthing if you want midrange.

Hmmm mine are set to 60hz...

Sounds good to me :D

ANeonRider
03-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Not at all....depends on his speakers and install. I have my mids playing all the way down to 50hz.

Me too.

g30ffr3y
03-22-2005, 11:32 AM
ive just got the stock front and rear right now. and the 15A off the viper.

i set the rear to 63 so they would pick up where the sub
leaves off and i figured 125 would be ok for the fronts... not
too low... there is no low pass filter for the interiors so its just
from 63 up and from 125 up...

how should i set the HU for setting the gain on the amp for
the sub? once i have everything else set? or before i set
everything? should i have the sub level all the way up?
it goes from +6 to -24, thus far i have just ran it on 0 since
the amp is still on the gain setting from stock and i dont
want to push it with a +6...

ive just been using the FLAT eq so far also...

generally are steep slopes better or worse? i know its all
about blending the sounds... but would a 63hz sub cross
with a steep slope be better than a 50hz sub cross with
a gradual slope?

should i even be so concerned with the rears since everyone
seems to think they are not worth even having?

tRiGgEr
03-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Running the speakers off of the HU, you probably should not expect to much midbass if any at all. So be very carefull on how low you set it. If you try to boost the midbass you may end up getting some distortion.

Rears are all up to you. Do you like them?? I personally do. I like to have my music "fill" the car.

g30ffr3y
03-22-2005, 12:05 PM
i like having the rear fill as well...

so about setting the sub amps gain... how should i have the HU
setup to get the best and safest results???

i dont need to blow my sub after all this...

squeak9798
03-22-2005, 12:09 PM
how should i set the HU for setting the gain on the amp for
the sub? once i have everything else set? or before i set
everything?

You'll want your EQ settings where you'll have them. Xover point/slope won't matter much.

should i have the sub level all the way up?

Set it to the highest you'll ever set it to while listening to music.

generally are steep slopes better or worse? i know its all
about blending the sounds... but would a 63hz sub cross
with a steep slope be better than a 50hz sub cross with
a gradual slope?

Depends on the acoustics of your car and your setup/install. As you should know by now...there is no "better" in much of anything in car audio.....it's all about what works with your car, your install, your equipment and your listening preferences.

should i even be so concerned with the rears since everyone
seems to think they are not worth even having?

Since you are still running stockers, the rear fill is probably more prominent then in an install where someone running a properly powered comp set.

tRiGgEr
03-22-2005, 12:09 PM
i like having the rear fill as well...

so about setting the sub amps gain... how should i have the HU
setup to get the best and safest results???

i dont need to blow my sub after all this...

Have all the setting set to where you listin to it. Have the sub level, EQ settings right where you normally listen to it. You don't want to set the gain and then boost your levels on the HU. That would defeat the purpose.

req
03-22-2005, 12:43 PM
ive just got the stock front and rear right now.

this is why i said 63 is too low. i doubt they will be able to play that low. squeak - you have a custom setup that CAN play to 55hz or whatev, stockers will not do that linerally IIRC ;)

like said, try and set the hpf on the rears a little higher, maybe bump the AV up to gain back some of what you are loosing. the av should be able to play quite high.

the fronts, 125 is fine IMO.

rememeber everyone - he has STOCK off the HU. :crazy:

g30ffr3y
03-22-2005, 01:21 PM
stock only for now... dont worry... spring has sprung
and im sure some eD6500s and a nine.4 are coming
eventually...

i want to be able to use network mode on the HU
eventually and get myself one hell of a nice setup...

livingsacrifice
03-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Try the included microphone with the AutoEQ, it sounded great on mine and I didn't have to mess with the settings, just added a tiny bit more bass and it sounded pretty good.

jellyfish420
03-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Since you are still running stockers, the rear fill is probably more prominent then in an install where someone running a properly powered comp set.
i've got 100Wx2 going to a set of 6.5 comps up front, and the sound fills the care MORE than when i had front and rear speakers ran off the H/U;)

and that auto mic, i used it once, and will never use it again. it had my **** so jacked up, i personally don't like any of the settings it gave me:(

MetalMaxima
03-22-2005, 08:44 PM
subscribed