PDA

View Full Version : sold h/u on ebay, new owner wants refund, says it's broke

amedeuce
03-19-2005, 09:04 PM
I sold an alpine cda-7892, perfect condition, perfect working order. I actually was using it right before I took it out and replaced it with my new alpine.
It sat in the original packaging with a new wiring harness in my house until I sold it on ebay for 115 shipped.
Now the person who bought it wants a refund cause circuit city told him it is a bad unit. That is where he took it to be installed.
What could that crappy *** store be doing wrong to have either fried it or installed it wrong. He said that they installed it and there was no sound from speakers. Im in the process of getting specific details from him. Like if the hu came on and there was just no output or what.

1200mk
03-19-2005, 09:05 PM
sold as is.... **** it.

JimJ
03-19-2005, 09:14 PM
And yet, he goes after you first instead of the morons who installed it...

:(

I'm surprised CC would do that, they usually don't touch stuff you haven't bought from them with a ten foot pole...just because of situations like this.

amedeuce
03-19-2005, 09:17 PM
sold as is.... **** it.
Very true. I would like to help the guy out, but if he or circuit city damaged it, that is not my problem...
I assured him and I know for a fact it worked perfectly when I sent it...
I feel good about that...
I will not be refunding money cause of someone elses Negligence

If all else fails, BUYER BEWARE.

kickercivic1
03-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Hold on now, I am not taking any sides. Did you test the speaker wires??? because the rca can works,but the speaker wont because that amp in the deck might be blown.

amedeuce
03-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Hold on now, I am not taking any sides. Did you test the speaker wires??? because the rca can works,but the speaker wont because that amp in the deck might be blown.
Yes.
The amp in the deck is not blown.

amedeuce
03-19-2005, 10:39 PM
And if it is now, Who's to say who did it? I'm supposed to refund cause he took it to CC to install, or he says he took it there. Maybe HE fried it and took it there to cover his ***. Or they fried it and just told him it doesn't work cause it used and they didnt sell it to him so what do they care... SO in the end I'm the big loser... Nope not happening.

netherland24
03-19-2005, 10:49 PM
the guy could have an internal amp in his car and they didnt plug up the amp cable seeing that i got one thing installed there and they said my thing was bad too until i went inside and told them to hook up the amp *blue to the cd player and showed him the internal amp. all they said was OH

Tirefryr
03-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Does that particular model have the internal amp on/off setting? Perhaps that could be the problem.

M@nJo
03-19-2005, 11:07 PM
you never know he can be fooling YOU. can you link us the auction?

usually, he cant do anything about it because its ebay and its a warning that its been used.

im thinking: this guy is cheap, he buys a used head unit thru the net and claims it dont work. maybe he thinks he can get a full refund and keep the fcuked up deck.

i say fcuk him, you knew it worked 100% and even used it before u uninstalled it. only downfall is him leaving you negative feedback. btw, circuit city installers dont know there ish too well IMO. i know a buddy who works there that claims caps prevent strain on electrical system :rolleyes:
maybe its personal expierence, but im in cali and all circuit citys i been too arent "pros"

amedeuce
03-19-2005, 11:25 PM
you never know he can be fooling YOU. can you link us the auction?

usually, he cant do anything about it because its ebay and its a warning that its been used.

im thinking: this guy is cheap, he buys a used head unit thru the net and claims it dont work. maybe he thinks he can get a full refund and keep the fcuked up deck.

i say fcuk him, you knew it worked 100% and even used it before u uninstalled it. only downfall is him leaving you negative feedback. btw, circuit city installers dont know there ish too well IMO. i know a buddy who works there that claims caps prevent strain on electrical system :rolleyes:
maybe its personal expierence, but im in cali and all circuit citys i been too arent "pros"
He already left positive feedback that can't be changed. I'll post a link in a minute....

amedeuce
03-19-2005, 11:29 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39750&item=5757379184

Here is the link

netherland24
03-19-2005, 11:34 PM
very good condition might i say... yeah he is trying to rip u.

amedeuce
03-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Now when I bought my new alpline, it just plugged into my exsiting harness and the one that was sent with the new one is exactly the same as the old one, so I just gave him the new one. I dont think that would have anything to do with it would it?

amedeuce
03-19-2005, 11:37 PM
very good condition might i say... yeah he is trying to rip u.
Yea, I took very good care of it and it worked perfectly when I had it, that's what has got me pissed cause I know he got a great hu at a great price and now he doesn't want it cause someone broke it..

amedeuce
03-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Here are the emails I just got from him

The Alpine unit powered up but NO sound.
So I had the guy install my old unit to prove it was the Alpine unit and not just because he was trying to upgrade me. So he installed my old Jensen unit and all 4 speakers worked.
Then after that , he installed one of their new Alpine players and that powered all 4 speakers also.
It really shouldn't matter WHO I take the unit to as long as they are professional installers.
I mean, if someone had an opinion about Best Buy or The Good Guys, I guess they could say the same thing about them.
I did not want to install the unit, because I am not knowledgeable about these things.
I live in a remote area, and had to drive down the mountain into another county to try and have the unit installed; which took 5 hours out of my day.
I have neither the time or the funds, to be going to different installers to get opinions.
What I basically have now is a $115.00 paper weight.
I'm contacting you to see if we can have some closure on this issue.
If we can't come to terms, than I will have to take my complaint through the proper channels at E-Bay.

The tech at Circuit City did a "Tone Generation" on all the speakers and they all worked without anything being on.
I have a Dodge Ram Pickup and it does not have the upgraded Infinity System or an Internal Amp.

netherland24
03-19-2005, 11:56 PM
too bad u cant go back on the listing and put no returns... :)

amedeuce
03-19-2005, 11:58 PM
too bad u cant go back on the listing and put no returns... :)
Well if it isn't stated is it assumed it can be returned?
I mean just cause I didnt say "no returns" or "as is" does that matter?

amedeuce
03-19-2005, 11:59 PM
I ended the auction early for him, so "technically" all I did was advertise it on ebay;)

golfreak
03-20-2005, 12:24 AM
You know when I buy used stuff on Ebay, I hope it all work out but even I know things are sold AS-IS unless they specifically state NON-DOA or something like that.

I was just going to say screw it and just take a negative feedback but the dumbsh!t already gave you a positive so you don't have to do jack.

BTW, you can tell the guy is not trying to scam you.
If he did, he wouldn't have given you the positive feedback already.

If you were to be really nice, you could refund him 1/2 the money but in no way you're expected to.
All this threaten "to take it to Ebay" vrap ain't worth a damm.
Ebay won't do *****.

Expy2000
03-20-2005, 12:26 AM
... jesus..

Just tell him to go *** himself and his little dog too..

case closed..

golfreak
03-20-2005, 12:44 AM
... jesus..

Just tell him to go *** himself and his little dog too..

case closed..

Jeez man, if you bought something on Ebay and it didn't work, you'd be **** too.
And then what if he then tell you to *** off....that would feel good right ??

What I'm saying is that it probably is not working and the buyer really doesn't know anything about it.
If he wanted to scam, he wouldn't have posted the positive feedback so hastily.

M@nJo
03-20-2005, 05:20 AM
i bet when he said 5 hours, that meant a total of 1 hour driving when CC was only 15min away, waiting in line for 3 hours and finally had the monkey hook it up.

eBay wont do **** to you. worse that can prob happen is probation/suspend your account for like a week or so so? no big deal. u knew the unit worked perfectly fine and sold it that way. BS to him letting him know your a some sort of professional in the audio industry to fool him out. say like "i can gaurantee you that alpine unit was perfectly fine before ive sent it out. i tested it at my own shop and results were everything performs just like new".

or you can be harsh and play hardball "what do you want me to do? give back all your money AND lose my head unit?" if you plan to refund his money, tell him he has to pay for your shipping fee of $15 and return the headunit back like it was when u sent it out. now before u do this, make a agreement that when u recieve this head unit, you WILL test this unit and if it turns out it works perfectly fine, your going to sue/file small claim/w.e against him for scam or some bs.

goodluck man.

PS. he sounds like bs, he automatically jumped to conclusions and mentioned about doing 'something' against you

amedeuce
03-20-2005, 10:25 AM
i bet when he said 5 hours, that meant a total of 1 hour driving when CC was only 15min away, waiting in line for 3 hours and finally had the monkey hook it up.

eBay wont do **** to you. worse that can prob happen is probation/suspend your account for like a week or so so? no big deal. u knew the unit worked perfectly fine and sold it that way. BS to him letting him know your a some sort of professional in the audio industry to fool him out. say like "i can gaurantee you that alpine unit was perfectly fine before ive sent it out. i tested it at my own shop and results were everything performs just like new".

or you can be harsh and play hardball "what do you want me to do? give back all your money AND lose my head unit?" if you plan to refund his money, tell him he has to pay for your shipping fee of $15 and return the headunit back like it was when u sent it out. now before u do this, make a agreement that when u recieve this head unit, you WILL test this unit and if it turns out it works perfectly fine, your going to sue/file small claim/w.e against him for scam or some bs.

goodluck man.

PS. he sounds like bs, he automatically jumped to conclusions and mentioned about doing 'something' against you

Good Idea :up2somet:

M@nJo
03-20-2005, 02:38 PM
remember: keep it professional. DO NOT make it sound like your a 17 year old kid who wants to avoid the situation. NEVER avoid the situation, always mention it.

amedeuce
03-20-2005, 02:44 PM
remember: keep it professional. DO NOT make it sound like your a 17 year old kid who wants to avoid the situation. NEVER avoid the situation, always mention it.
Uh yea, Im not a 17 year old. I am 30 and I do know how to act. But thanks for the ideas

psycho72
03-20-2005, 02:55 PM
How did you pack it and ship it and what did the packing look like when it arrived. I think manjo's idea is good and I applaud you for not taking the "phuck this guy" attitude, because **** happens and maybe it is legit. Doing good even if he is wrong will always come back to you.

Maybe you can find a tv/vcr repair place (that also fixes HU's) near him, call them and talk to them and see about getting a written estimate which he/they can fax to you. This would probably shake him up if he is a scammer and if not then if you know the damage you can get an idea of what happened and figure out what to do next.

amedeuce
03-20-2005, 03:07 PM
How did you pack it and ship it and what did the packing look like when it arrived. I think manjo's idea is good and I applaud you for not taking the "phuck this guy" attitude, because **** happens and maybe it is legit. Doing good even if he is wrong will always come back to you.

Maybe you can find a tv/vcr repair place (that also fixes HU's) near him, call them and talk to them and see about getting a written estimate which he/they can fax to you. This would probably shake him up if he is a scammer and if not then if you know the damage you can get an idea of what happened and figure out what to do next.
I'm not sure how the package arrived, but the unit was shipped in it's original box and strofoam inserts that it came in. It was put into a box filled with shipping peanuts.

amedeuce
03-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Here is the email I just sent him

Roger, I'm not sure how you want to handle this.
How am I to know that CC didn't fry the head unit when they tried to install it? Now I understand that now you have a 115 dollar paperweight as you put it. But the unit worked perfectly when I sent it to you. Now I'll have a paperweight if the unit has been damaged since it left my possession.
Now we can work a deal as to refunding some of your money but I don't think I should have to completely buy it back from you for the total amount. I sent you an alpine head unit in perfect working order and in perfect cosmetic condition and that is not what I'll be getting back if we decide to work out a deal.
Now be assured that if I do end up getting the unit back from you I will personally test it and if need be take it somewhere else to get it tested to see what could have caused the problem if in fact there is a problem.
It just seems weird that I sent you a known good h/u, you take it to CC and they say it doesn't work and then install a "new" alpine h/u to show you IT works. Do you think maybe they are trying to sell you one from their store?
Let me know what you think a fair price would be for me to buy it back from you would be and I'll get back to you. Thanks Roger and sorry again for your Inconvenience

netherland24
03-20-2005, 03:11 PM
he prob has the same model in his garage that screwed up and urs is fine and he is gona send u the f^ one back to u... **** ebay...

amedeuce
03-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Mother f'er, He did say he used to have the same exact h/u in a car he sold and that is why he wanted this one cause he liked that model..

netherland24
03-20-2005, 03:26 PM
**** u then prob got fu(k up the ***

unrealii
03-20-2005, 03:45 PM
do you have pictures of the hu with the seriel number prior to shipping it out?

amedeuce
03-20-2005, 03:50 PM
this is his reply and I think I'll do that for him

Thanks for the offer.
As far as CC, I have a LONG standing relationship with the tech who did the install.
He has installed at least 7 units prior, in both my wife's and my vehicles.
You seem to be fixated on the fact that he was trying to get me to buy a unit from them,
but you never mention the fact that they re-installed my "OLD" unit and that powered all 4 speakers.
I did not end up buying anything from them.
They have no problem putting in used units and charge $59.95 plus parts, to do a install with a warranty.
I know your a person of honor as am I.
I feel that we should split everything down the middle, 50/50.

I ship the unit back to you and you Paypal me $57.50

If this is acceptable,
please e-mail me your mailing address again and I'll pack this up and send it out by Tuesday.

Respectfully,
Roger

M@nJo
03-20-2005, 04:09 PM
but dont they have serial/part numbers on it?
on the actual unit AND faceplate?

sorry about that age thing, i didnt accuse u of being 17 or young, i just said 17 year old showing an example of young age cause ive dealt with ppl who email me and talk to me like there youngsters trying to rob me. you know how it is... youngsters and professional really dont go together :uhoh:

i still think he should pay u the $15 shipping fee & ebay listing fee; u take the unit back the way it was. but good thing u stated u wont accept the unit back in non working order. keep us updated

amedeuce
03-20-2005, 06:21 PM
but dont they have serial/part numbers on it?
on the actual unit AND faceplate?

sorry about that age thing, i didnt accuse u of being 17 or young, i just said 17 year old showing an example of young age cause ive dealt with ppl who email me and talk to me like there youngsters trying to rob me. you know how it is... youngsters and professional really dont go together :uhoh:

i still think he should pay u the $15 shipping fee & ebay listing fee; u take the unit back the way it was. but good thing u stated u wont accept the unit back in non working order. keep us updated
No, I know you weren't accusing me of being 17, I knew what you meant. Yea I'll inform once I get the unit back, He is shipping it back on monday. I should have it tuesday or wed...
I never felt the need to get serial numbers cause there was nothing wrong, I would have never imagined he would want his money back. But oh well, I didnt want to be a **** about it and f- him over, but I dont want to get screwed over either...

bbb543
03-20-2005, 06:33 PM
take it back give him his money..see if you can fix it..put it back up...then you get 60.00 plus wat you sell it for.if doesnt work..sell it as non working with possible internal amp blown..say its fixable and youll still prally end up breaking even

M@nJo
03-20-2005, 07:46 PM
no matter what u do, make sure u at least get ur $15 for shipping it out back and the ebay fees.

refund him only the $50 (auction end price)

golfreak
03-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Mother f'er, He did say he used to have the same exact h/u in a car he sold and that is why he wanted this one cause he liked that model..

It would make no sense if he was trying to do a switcharoo on you.
Why would he went ahead and post a positive feedback for you knowing he was going to scam you ???

Anyway, you really didn't have to refund half the money but I applaud you for doing it.

It happenned to me when I sold a $180 video card.
Worked perfectly and the guy said it didn't work.
Got it back and it didn't work.
Luckily I was able to RMA it and got another one or I would have lost $180.

johnecon2001
03-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Do not take it back. Because you ended the auction early, he cannot have Ebay do anything too you. There is no feedback, there is no complaint because there technically was no winning bidder. Its his fault, he may seem like a nice guy, but the unit was working when it left you and wwhen it got to him it wasnt.. who care. **** him. He can't touch you, but make sure you take all of your money out of your paypal account so they cant screw you.

golfreak
03-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Looking back, I'd say screw it.
You even ended early for him.
Ebay is a risk vs reward thing.
Your reward is getting stuff cheap, your risk is you might get screwed.

He can't do anything to you.

Zombietime
03-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Tell the guy to take a hike, ebay is AS IS unless a return policy is explicit in the auction.

JT1652
05-06-2005, 11:30 PM
amedeuce,

I sold a Alpine CDA 7892 to my nephew and he had the same problem when he got the unit installed(no sound from speakers). Did you ever find out what the "problem" was with the H/U you sold?

Thanks

AVSTANG02
05-07-2005, 04:16 PM
HOLY **** DONT GIVE HIM HIS MONEY BACK!@!@

And if you give him back half of his cash who keeps the "broken" deck? I bet he thinks he gets to keep it.

Also why is he saying ok to 50/50!? i mean if i bought something and it was DOA i'd want 100% back. SEEEMS FISHY!!!

This dude ****ed up the deck.

the same thing happened to me ALMOST but the kid that bought my deck came and picked it up so no paypal. It was a tiny problem a connection came loose inside and a shop local to him fixed it for free no problem.

But i was very firm that i new for a fact it was working when it left me.

If you knew for a fact it was working when it left you. DO NOT give him anything.

IF you do plan on giving him some money back make sure the deck is in your hands first!!!!!!!

Report him to paypal before he reports you.

Edit: Btw his story is such bullshit 7 decks in his and his wifes cars?? puhlease dude.. if he will lie about something as meaningless as that.. he will lie about anything...

amedeuce
05-07-2005, 07:43 PM
this was from a couple months ago. (see dates)
I have the unit back, I just havent had time to hook it up in my truck to find out the problem.
We ended up splitting the cost evenly shipping and price of the unit I sold it for. I think I sold it to him for 110 shipped then gave him 50 bucks and he sent it back.
I'll find out what is wrong which I think is NOTHING except where he took it.
And they could have fried it, But if it will only work by running an external amp so be it, I'll sell it with that disclaimer.
Cause he wasnt using an amp only the h/u , which they could have fried the internal amp or it was off. HAHAHA...
I wouldn't have felt right sticking it to him. We'll see.....

AVSTANG02
05-07-2005, 08:47 PM
I have the unit back, I just havent had time to hook it up in my truck to find out the problem.
We ended up splitting the cost evenly shipping and price of the unit I sold it for. I think I sold it to him for 110 shipped then gave him 50 bucks and he sent it back.
And they could have fried it, But if it will only work by running an external amp so be it, I'll sell it with that disclaimer.
Cause he wasnt using an amp only the h/u , which they could have fried the internal amp or it was off. HAHAHA...

couple months ago.. doh haha

JT1652
05-08-2005, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to get my H/U checked as well.

pooper
05-17-2005, 10:44 AM
50 BUCKS wow thats a hellava deal man.evey 1 that reads this post should hunt that @ss down and smack him!!

req
05-17-2005, 11:42 AM
id of left him with it.

id of said - i sent it to you working.

you failed to benchtest it when you got it. i bench tested it when it left.

sorry. :p: