PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit any good?

Bloodhound34
03-19-2005, 05:58 PM
I bought a 95 firebird a few weeks ago, and it came with an aftermarket HU. And I was wondering if it's any good. If it is, i'll keep it in, but if it isn't i'll have to put that as something to replace.

Clicky (http://www.monstermarketplace.com/CdPlayers/Product/424/Landing/599/KENWOODKDC722/429/23/46)

Bloodhound34
03-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Please help! I need it really bad.

I want to hook up a CD changer, Amp, 2 or 4 subs as well as 4 midrange and two tweeters.

swaptrex
03-20-2005, 11:05 PM
kenwood is not exactly the best brand out there when it comes to quality, however i would say if you like it stick with it. if not look into brands such as eclipse, alpine, and pioneer.

M@nJo
03-21-2005, 12:37 AM
get a better deck if u plan to run subs/amps.

that deck has only 2 preamp outputs (front and rear). if u wanna hook up a sub system, your gonna have to replace ur rear speakers for the sub to sound (at its best performance that is). that means when u gonna hook up a sub to that, your front speakers will only sound along with subwoofer, rear speakers will not sound.
theres possible ways to make it work but idk how to.

IMO, get a better deck that has at least 3 preamp outputs that has one for specifically for sub rcas.

its a decent deck if u just wanna power speakers, but not a good one to run subs with

Bloodhound34
03-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Alright, thanks, that's all I needed.

What would you suggest for something that needs to connect to all of that stuff? I can afford probably anything out there, but I'd like to keep it under 600 cuz I'd like to have money to buy the rest of my system.

tRiGgEr
03-21-2005, 02:10 PM
What's with the anti kenwood movement. Very decent HU. I've owned 4 kenwood HU's and they are very good decks. Perfect for any user wanting bass or not.

Bloodhound34
03-22-2005, 01:11 AM
I've heard they're good budget HUs. But I was thinkin maybe an alpine. What does the pre-amp wattage matter? I've heard 4 was good/average, and 8 can damage your system. Is there a big difference between 2 and 4. I know it's like that with computers. I'm more computer guy than car audio. You pay for stuff that you won't even notice.

M@nJo
03-22-2005, 03:36 AM
i think the more volts of the preamp outputs the better/cleaner/crisper sound you will get? thats what i read off the pioneer site since i was checking out there 6.5v preamp outputs of the premier =D

idk my volts of preamp outputs, but most decks ive seen off crutchfield and other sites are usually 4 or 5 v.

www.pioneerelectronics.com (pioneer premier p8 6.5v :) ) NOT the p80 model, thats only 4v i think

www.crutchfield.com might have a faq about preamp volts