PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! MB Quart rce213

DetoxLS
03-18-2005, 09:18 PM
I just got my mb quart 5.25" components installed. They sound horrible and I cant imagine that they are running like they should. They seem to distort before my stock paper 6x8s. They had to install the tweeter by the speaker because there was not enough space in my car for the tweeter..Which is fine but i do not think it would effect the sound so much that they sound like $10 walmart speakers. He claimed that i need a sub and that they are playing midbass..Which is understandable but i do not feel any bass at all. Just treb and distorted bass which is light.
He also suggested that my amp is not good enough. It is a US acoustics USX-4065 amp which puts out 65 watts rms at 4 ohms. It was highly recomended on this board a year ago as a good priced amp that is good. I had it on my old kappa 6x9s and they were very loud and very clear.
At one point i asked the guy if possibly the crossover was hooked up wrong or maybe backwards.
Before the install i had the 4 stock door speakers amped and even they sounded better(6x8). They were set on the amp to play all freqencies, which he readjusted to play pretty much no bass.

ANY HELP IS GOOD

Chris
'01 Lincoln LS

req
03-19-2005, 12:13 AM
man, it really sounds like somthing is installed wrong.

those things shuold be playing way better than the 6x8's for sure. are you POSATIVE that you dont have the midrange on the TWEETER part, and vice versa? that would definatly do it.

that amp is a great budget board - good quality for a great price. i would recommend it to lots of people.

it raelly isnt a problem with imaging or soundstage then - just lack of midbass and distortion. try hooking one of the stock coax's up to the speaker terminals that is going to the crossover now. does it sound ok? or is it distorted like the component set?

and what do you mean by distortion? is the music 'crackly and full of noise' or does it sound like rubbing, or what?

really REALLY sounds like somthing was installed wrong or is not working properly. specifically, the amplifier shuold be set on FLAT (no high pass or low pass) and the crossover is what filters the speakers... unless BOTH crossovers are installed wrong, are broken, or the amp is set on a crossover as well, i am not too sure.

DetoxLS
03-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Distortion like I have a $5 set of amped computer speakers on max. When I have it on flat which it originally was before he adjusted it to highpass, it willmake the woofer jump/pop out pretty far.. I can tell because when i put a 2 million candle light up to the door, i can see through. I had them install a foam baffle behind the speaker(from what they said its there). Also, it doesnt look like there is any gaps around the "bracket"(6x8 to 5.25). If i am wrong about either of these, would it make the speaker sound this bad. I couldnt believe how bad it sounded. The tweeter is mounted in the center of the woofer.

Chris

DetoxLS
03-19-2005, 12:29 AM
It also sounds like the speaker is about to blow when i turn up the HU halfway and the gain on the amp halfway.
BTW..Stock speaker wire running to the doors. 18GA from the amp to the front.

Sleeklsc
03-19-2005, 04:08 AM
dam, i'd check the x-over settings...those SHOULD SOUND BETTER THEN stocks..also check the amp settings...(obviously)

squeak9798
03-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Well, I can attest to that amp being great for the money. I hooked one up in my buddies truck, and performs just as it should. So, unless you received a damaged unit, the problem doesn't lie with the amp itself.

Where is your highpass set to? What HU do you have? Do you have any EQ's...like built into the HU or anything? Do the tweeter and mid distort, or just the mid? Have you tried playing the comp set w/o the foam baffle installed?

And you really shouldn't double post :) I combined all replys together in this thread.

DetoxLS
03-19-2005, 12:11 PM
The amp is great. I have had it and it still works.
It is set to FLAT as req said it should be. The HU is a new alpine(9827). I double checked everything in the HU last night. The mid distorts the most. If i turn the bass all the way down on the HU and turn it up it still sounds bad, although it is definately cleaner. Im starting to think it has to be something with the crossover. The tweeter is in the center of the mid FOR NOW so its hard to tell whats playing what. I have not pulled the baffle. It almosts sounds like the speaker is pushing inward rather than outward when playing.

Chris

squeak9798
03-19-2005, 12:19 PM
It almosts sounds like the speaker is pushing inward rather than outward when playing.

FYI, speakers move "in" just as far as they move out. It's just part of their full range of motion......if it moves 5mm outward, then it is also moving 5mm inward.

Also, you should have a highpass on them somewhere. Whether it be the highpass on the amp, or the highpass on the HU....one of them needs to be turned on to save the speakers from playing bass.

Disconnect the crossover from the amp, and try hooking the mid up directly the amplifer (bypassing the crossover) and see if it still has the problems you describe. Yes, this is safe (with the mid...I wouldn't try it with the tweeter). Just be sure you have one of the highpass filters on (either on the amp or the HU).

DetoxLS
03-19-2005, 01:52 PM
I can adjust the knob so the speakers play less bass which i have tried on the amp. I would be able to tell if the speakers were working right as ive tried many adjustments. I am going to have best buy take a look at the door.

DetoxLS
03-19-2005, 07:15 PM
What should the highpass be set at anyway?? The knob has 70,100,140....and so on...

squeak9798
03-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Whatever sounds best....typically somewhere between 80hz and 125hz, depending on the setup, speakers, power, etc etc.

req
03-21-2005, 09:57 AM
definatly just try mid->amp

totally skip the tweet and xover and see if its still being retarded - if it is, its prolly the amp (wich im sorry to hear, because i like those amps)

we are trying to troubleshoot and find the root of the problem.