PDA

View Full Version : *Updated* New box pics, finished

btnhfan
03-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Here they are. Just need to put the top on after my sub comes in on the 24th. **** fedex held it for two days.

Im also going to be upgrading my amps to either 4 DDM1's, or 2 VFL 150's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/2glocks11523/P1010156.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/2glocks11523/P1010158.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/2glocks11523/P1010157.jpg

InhumanAcura
03-18-2005, 04:53 PM

tRiGgEr
03-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Sorry to be a **** but it looks like crap. :shrugshoulders:

InhumanAcura
03-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Sorry to be a **** but it looks like crap. :shrugshoulders:

pics of the box you built?

tommyk90
03-18-2005, 05:06 PM
i'll be honest and say it looks like crap as well, but i know the difficulties of building a box in the trunk, thus i feel your pain.

BUT, you're joints(meaning the cuts) could have been better. An easy way to do it is prefit the box together outside of the trunk and drill all the holes you need, then when you put the pieces in the trunk all you have to do is glue the boards together and feed the screws through the pre-drilled holes.

bass maniak
03-18-2005, 05:12 PM
eh, could be alot worse.
Hope it works well for you tho :) .

btnhfan
03-18-2005, 05:16 PM
What looks so bad?
I have to finish up the front of the port....

I dont know if you understand how small a civic trunk is. The entire thing had to be assembled inside.

If you see that slash on the front baffle, thats where the **** circular saw popped outta track and almost cut me in the thigh. I dont even want to go get another piece of wood though since its on on the surface really.

147.7 was better than what the rest of the team guessed.
Im putting an AB VFL 15" in there tomorrow, and hopefully an MT. Get it metered and see how much more work i gotta do.

tommyk90
03-18-2005, 05:19 PM
I dont know if you understand how small a civic trunk is. The entire thing had to be assembled inside.

Oh, believe me, i know ALL too well. Try putting 2 boxes in a '00 mustang trunk, or a 2.5 cube after displacement box in a '95 cobra. I know exactly what you are talking about. :)

Mustangs have the smallest trunk openings EVER. :mad:

bass maniak
03-18-2005, 05:21 PM
haha, i feel ya there.
they do have small trunk openings......very small........

tRiGgEr
03-18-2005, 05:22 PM
pics of the box you built?

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/705281/3

No close ups but you can see a few pics. Yes I have room to talk.

tRiGgEr
03-18-2005, 05:23 PM
What looks so bad?

The cutout for the speaker, The split wood within the speaker cutout. The uneven cuts on the edges, And the duct tape. Other than that good job. I also know how small a civics trunk is.

btnhfan
03-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Yea. And whats even worse, is that Ill probably have to build an even bigger box for next time. :( I think Im going to go with 2 12" MT's. I can either run 1 15" or 2 12"s.

Im definatley going to have to pick up one of those right angle drills. It would be a lot easier.

And it wasnt directed to you, it was for trigger.

InhumanAcura
03-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Yes I have room to talk.

no, no you dont...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/705000-705999/705281_27_full.jpg

tRiGgEr
03-18-2005, 05:39 PM
no, no you dont...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/705000-705999/705281_27_full.jpg

Dude thats my 10 min box I threw together for those 2 dollor 8's. If you want to compare his trunk build for comps to my ghetto project box you are just trying to be an *** hole.

Look at my other boxes. There not 10min ghetto jobs. *** hole :rolleyes:

btnhfan
03-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Do you know what the duct tape is for? Its not there to seal it or whatever, its there to create a smoother curve, and make the air more linear.

Who looks out the cutout? I made it at 14", because I dont know how big it wil be for an MT. The tighter the better. I didnt know people could see the cutout for the sub on boxes now....

tRiGgEr
03-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Do you know what the duct tape is for? Its not there to seal it or whatever, its there to create a smoother curve, and make the air more linear.

Who looks out the cutout? I made it at 14", because I dont know how big it wil be for an MT. The tighter the better. I didnt know people could see the cutout for the sub on boxes now....

Look you know what It's plain and simple it looks like **** just like my ghetto 8's box. You cut corners instead of doing it right the first time. Duct tape??? MDF cut and rounded to fit the corner is the best way. It's shoddy craftsman ship. If you can't take some negative criticism don't post your box next time. I've had enough I'm out.

tommyk90
03-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Look you know what It's plain and simple it looks like **** just like my ghetto 8's box. You cut corners instead of doing it right the first time. Duct tape??? MDF cut and rounded to fit the corner is the best way. It's shoddy craftsman ship. If you can't take some negative criticism don't post your box next time. I've had enough I'm out.

x2.

Duct tape is a really shady way of doing it, unless that is just temporary. In that case, i do the same thing as you. :)

InhumanAcura
03-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Dude thats my 10 min box I threw together for those 2 dollor 8's. If you want to compare his trunk build for comps to my ghetto project box you are just trying to be an *** hole.

Look at my other boxes. There not 10min ghetto jobs. *** hole :rolleyes:

How the **** am I supposed to know it took you 10 mins to build that for 2 $2 eights...so stfu :mad:
maybe you should have specified that before you posted that link you little ******* :rolleyes:

btnhfan
03-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Hopefully Ill be taking out the duct tape tomorrow, and glassing that corner. Or I might build a whole new box tomorrow. Who knows. Ill take pics of what im hitting though

Nikuk
03-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Bad: ducttape, mounting hole, single baffle, ducttape, excessive caulk, port depth, port turn, poor cuts, ducttape, lack of 1/2 of a piece of PCV at the port opening, split wood.

Good: Not horrible effort for first ever try.

Advice: Build a new box and take as much time as needed to do it properly.

Guesstimate, with an MT & 4kw nominal: 146.5.

-Nick

btnhfan
03-18-2005, 06:19 PM
How come I need a double baffle? I dont know where Id put the amps then, since they are most likely going to go on the back of the seat.

Its not caulk, its wood glue ;)

As for the pvc, ill most likely be putting those quickcrete tube thingys on the end of it. I think thats what its called. Playing on the mic tomorrow.

Nikuk
03-18-2005, 06:21 PM
How come I need a double baffle? I dont know where Id put the amps then, since they are most likely going to go on the back of the seat.

Its not caulk, its wood glue ;)

As for the pvc, ill most likely be putting those quickcrete tube thingys on the end of it. I think thats what its called. Playing on the mic tomorrow.

You dont need a double baffle, but looking at those cuts, the splits, and knowing that you didnt use very many anchors or screw, I'd ****ed sure suggest it.

Caulk or wood glue, you were sloppy with it.... yet you are concerned about linearity?

btnhfan
03-18-2005, 06:38 PM
I didnt know the wood glue spilling out would matter. I thought it would help. Oh well.

New box tomorrow.

bhsswrstlr
03-18-2005, 06:46 PM
haha good god what a shouting match this one has been...lets all step away from the computers and take a nice long breath...maybe punch something to get rid of the rage...anyways...keep on keeping on

Nikuk
03-18-2005, 06:48 PM
I didnt know the wood glue spilling out would matter. I thought it would help. Oh well.

New box tomorrow.

:thumbupw:

haha good god what a shouting match this one has been...lets all step away from the computers and take a nice long breath...maybe punch something to get rid of the rage...anyways...keep on keeping on

Believe it or not, this IS constructive criticism. :) :cool:

-Nick

btnhfan
03-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Haha. Yea I know. I just didnt know what was so bad about it, thats why I was kind of defensive.

bhsswrstlr
03-18-2005, 07:00 PM
haha right on...ill be posting pics of the box im working on soon...hopefully ill get a better reaction than this one...peace

btnhfan
03-19-2005, 12:52 AM
lol

Constructive critisism.

pw91686
03-19-2005, 01:04 AM
I think its pretty good man. I have never built my own box but plan on it pretty soon and I know that its not gonna be that good. Besides man, your 17 years old. I think its pretty good for having to build it in the trunk man. You'll get better the more you do.

joeldirt
03-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Next time any one does this project, or is planning to do one built into the trunk like this BUY ONE OF THESE TOOLS! I swear to god it is a time saver, and makes for a bad *** strong joint! ! ! www.kregtool.com

to see how the tool works, and what it does if you don't understand, go here and watch it in action. http://www.kregtool.com/Kreg_jig_virtual_tradeshow.asp

Randy Savage
03-19-2005, 01:21 AM
Try to make the slot straight, no turning...from what I've seen and tested with, bent ports hurt a little...also, duct tape= loud :)

Do a ton of testing...I've got a few tips I could give you (I'm sure Manny would be more than willing to give you pointers too)

joeldirt
03-19-2005, 01:24 AM
Yea. And whats even worse, is that Ill probably have to build an even bigger box for next time. :( I think Im going to go with 2 12" MT's. I can either run 1 15" or 2 12"s.

Im definatley going to have to pick up one of those right angle drills. It would be a lot easier.

And it wasnt directed to you, it was for trigger.

You cna't beat the price for the quality with this one. I own it any many other grizzley products.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DD4IQ/ref=wl_it_dp/103-8121979-2289448?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I1YNYM81TMS9TL&v=glance&colid=GK3OIZD92SQH

Bluntman420
03-19-2005, 07:08 AM
hey...doesnt look so bad to me...but then again im definitely not a box builder. duct tape probably wasnt your best option but atleast you thought about helping the airflow. these guys came on to you a bit tough but **** it up man! they are all here to help you build a better box next time. (and hopefully they can answer some questions i have when i get my new sub) but overall man definitely not a bad 1st box at all. keep workin youll get better. and when i finish mine ill post some pics up...guarantee you get the light end of the harassment..lol

bean
03-19-2005, 03:44 PM
All this talk about duct tape makes me wanna choke myself. Stop it! Stop it right now. The only place.....and I mean the only place that duct tape is ever ever ever ever ever needed in a car stereo install is if you decide to tape down some wires underneath the carpet....That's it. Stop. Do not use duct tape on an enclosure ever again as long as you live. It was a bad idea.
I do understand that you were trying to "round that corner" and that IS a good idea (in fact for all those watching at home, if you get rid of all 90 degre corners in nearly any enclosure, you should see an increase of up to 3 dB). Next time use bondo. You mentioned fiberglass (i think) but its a liquid and won't keep that shape while you're doing it. Bondo my friend, bondo.

P.S. The guys were right. It looked like ****. Sorry to hate.

btnhfan
03-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Well just got back.

I hit 144.7 legal with the term, with only both amps on 1 vc. The tinsel lead snapped off of the VFL sub I was using. The box is now being trashed, and I am now going to 2 12"s.

And a smaller box.

TeamPwnage
03-20-2005, 04:27 PM
in fact for all those watching at home, if you get rid of all 90 degre corners in nearly any enclosure, you should see an increase of up to 3 dB

*cough* bullshit *cough*

JimJ
03-20-2005, 05:09 PM
I'll say it right out...bullshit :)

Nikuk
03-20-2005, 09:19 PM
x^eleventy billion

All this talk about duct tape makes me wanna choke myself. Stop it! Stop it right now. The only place.....and I mean the only place that duct tape is ever ever ever ever ever needed in a car stereo install is if you decide to tape down some wires underneath the carpet....That's it. Stop. Do not use duct tape on an enclosure ever again as long as you live. It was a bad idea.
I do understand that you were trying to "round that corner" and that IS a good idea (in fact for all those watching at home, if you get rid of all 90 degre corners in nearly any enclosure, you should see an increase of up to 3 dB). Next time use bondo. You mentioned fiberglass (i think) but its a liquid and won't keep that shape while you're doing it. Bondo my friend, bondo.

P.S. The guys were right. It looked like ****. Sorry to hate.

Umm, duct tape does make you louder. It's about where you apply it. You cannot bondo a woofer gasket, among many other things. Genius.