PDA

View Full Version : need some help

vtec_powah
03-17-2005, 03:46 PM
this isnt about car audio, its about my home theater system, i figured its still audio so maybe you guys could help me

now my problem is i was watching a movie the other day, and my front left, and front right speakers just stopped working, they have no sound what so ever, so i thought it was the reciever, so i tryed another speaker it thier spots, and it worked, so im guessing the speakers are blown, but if the are blown shouldnt it still make some sound??

the system is a sony if that helps at all, thanks alot guys

LoudCrownVic
03-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Try taking the "blown" speakers and hooking them up to some power. Then you'll know.

squeak9798
03-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Moved this to the Home Audio section.

Anyways....what type of system are we talking about here; those "satellite speakers", or 2-ways, or 3-ways?

A quick check of their resistence will tell you if they are blown or not. Stick a DMM on the terminals on the speakers (or on the input terminals on the box if they are the satellite style speakers) and see what it reads for the resistance.

And no, if speakers blow they won't necessarily still play. It all depends on what on them breaks.

filtor1
03-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I know if they have jumped the gap and not fallen back, they won't produce any sound. A little experimant I did with some old radio shack speakers.

JimJ
03-18-2005, 12:36 PM
I believe it's time for you to invest in some replacements.

Give us info on your speakers; perhaps we can help you find some good upgrades?

smokeoff
03-18-2005, 04:29 PM
same thing happend to my uncle, brought them to a shop to get fixed. turns out the crossover(they where 3-ways) had some sodering issues. shop charged him 50 bucks to resoder the 2 speakers. If you can open them up and make sure all wires are connected and nothing looks burnt.

And yes he could have done it cheaper him self but the shop had a policy that if they damaged anything (like dropping soder on a speaker) they would replace the whole thing. He he didn't wan't to take the chance.

vtec_powah
03-20-2005, 05:31 PM
i opened up one of the speakers, and everything look fine, there are no broken wires, the speaker it self looks fine, i guess ill have to get a professional to look at it

PV Audio
03-20-2005, 09:44 PM
build urself some bookshelves and call it a day. unless theyre bose cube speakers which are the only bose speakers i like cause they sound incredible full...not the new gen, but the ones that are like 4" square for each cube.