PDA

View Full Version : odd noise coming from comps...

cjj2d
03-15-2005, 11:29 AM
its not the normal alt whine everyone has trouble with. This is a humming noise, or a buzzing noise. It is not all the time either. and it is usually at mid to high volume.

where do I start?

squeak9798
03-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Track down the source ;)

Unplug the RCA's from the amp and turn on the system. If the noise is still there, then you know it's either from the amp or after (like possibly the passive xover, which can pick up noise if located near anything carrying power [power wire, fuse box, etc]). If noise goes away, then you know it comes from a source prior to the amp. So then unplug the RCA's from the HU and see if the noise is still there. Just start working backwards till you isolate the problem area.

cjj2d
03-15-2005, 11:54 AM
the crossovers are mounted in my trunk. they are near my amps. could that be part of it? I am going to work on this today.

I also need a new set of RCAs. I have a set of 2 channel RCA and at the end where they come out in my trunk one of the sets got torn off. So could that be picking up some unwanted noise? I am sure it could.

squeak9798
03-15-2005, 11:59 AM
There are 100 variables that could be causing it. You just need to dive in there and start eliminating possibilities. Starting with unplugging the RCA's from the amp and turning on the system (to see if the noise is still present) is the best place to start.

cjj2d
03-15-2005, 12:08 PM
will do.

cjj2d
03-18-2005, 12:58 AM
well when I take out the RCAs from the amp no noise at all comes from the speakers. absolutely nothing. So now the problem lies from the RCAs to the HU.