PDA

View Full Version : Bass Blockers

mavrix
03-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Running 500 watts through two 10" pg's. No external amp for my fullranges - the internal amp gets me plenty loud. When I turn up the bass on my EQ though, it still gets sent to the fullranges and muddies up the sound.

I figure the best way to beat this is a couple bassblockers, right? If so, what frequency should I get?

destruction
03-13-2005, 06:10 PM
i wouldn't go lower than 125hz

those kappa's didn't come with an inline passive crossover?? they should have.

mavrix
03-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Yea, they got a crossover. Bass still gets nasty in em.

ANeonRider
03-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Just don't turn up the bass on the HU. Probably clipping the subs when you do that too.

mavrix
03-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Right on, I hear what you're saying. Although, I probably used the wrong wording.

It's not as much the bass gets nasty, it's that everything else doesn't get as loud as it normally does. My guess, is that the speakers are too busy reproducing the low notes that they can't produce the high ones - so if I cut out the lower frequencies which are taken care of by the subs anyways, they'll sound nice.

Maybe?

ANeonRider
03-13-2005, 11:16 PM
or maybe its all the distortion that makes it sound bad?

elduderino
03-14-2005, 02:02 AM
Yeah, when you EQ the signal in the HU, you are asking the HU amp to play more bass. The xover doesn't magically filter out the bass, it adds to the signal you are sending it, so if you are cranking the bass, you are only filtering out some fraction of that with your xover.

If you have the xover at 80 Hz, that means it's 3db down at 80. Now you turn the bass up 6 db at 100. you're up ALMOST 6 dB at 80 as well. So now you are +6 and -3 for a net of +3, EVEN WITH YOUR XOVER.

If you have to use your bass control to make your system sound good, then it doesn't.

mavrix
03-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Took me a second to figure out what you were saying elduderino, think I get it now though.

But to neon, the sound is definitely not a distorted one - you just can't make out the mid and high as well as you used to be able to; still clean, just not loud and clear. System sounds fine without messing with the bass, a hell of a lot better than those people who go for the loud mess that ends up sounding like *** - but of course, sometimes you want more low end, so I dial up at 80 on the EQ.

But the basic consensus I'm getting here is, if I want more, then I need to add more power - a bass blocker isn't going to fix my problem.

Nikuk
03-14-2005, 11:12 AM
You are not supposed to turn an EQ UP. That's not what they are for.

Equalizer > You.

squeak9798
03-14-2005, 11:13 AM
But the basic consensus I'm getting here is, if I want more, then I need to add more power - a bass blocker isn't going to fix my problem.

The problem is that you need to add large amounts of boost to your bass to get the sound you like. The problem is that your subs are inadequate for you tastes.