View Full Version : do i need to build an enclosure?

03-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi all,

I'm a newbie at car modding, so forgive me if i ask really dumb questions.

Problem: I have a double-din opening in my mazda; top half is taken up by the factory cd/radio unit, and I want to install an ISO-DIN MP3 player in the bottom half. Obviously, the size is not quite right -_-
Question: is there an enclosure I can buy that will let me install an iso-din unit into a double din slot? Or do I have to build one myself?


03-13-2005, 02:33 PM
yes, they make them, check www.sounddomain.com

03-13-2005, 02:39 PM
also look at crutchfield. Because if you did not buy the cd player yet look at the prices on there compaired to the other places because they will include the wireharness and the plastics to mount it and give you detailed instructions on how to do it all as well.

03-13-2005, 04:49 PM
great.. what is it called? "enclosure"?
not quite familiar with terminology yet :D

I see lots of "kits" but none seem to match what I'm looking for. A little help, please..?

03-13-2005, 05:37 PM
car make modle and yr and I Will find you what you need

03-13-2005, 06:37 PM
wow, thanks :)

Mazda Protege DX '99

If it helps any, the cd/radio uinit is 4M32 (looks just like the the 1M31 pictured here (http://stephen.fosketts.net/miata/nbaudio/index.html), except I want to place my MP3 player where there's a tape deck on that picture :)

There's a nice FAQ on adding an AUX to the stock cd/radio here (http://nxmx5.com/aux_in.html) but I want to go a step further and make the switch automatic - i think i can make a small circuit that will "flip the switch" whenever the MP3 unit is powered.. ;)

03-13-2005, 10:49 PM

i believe this is what you will need but I might have mis understood you as well,

03-14-2005, 01:52 AM
sorry, I think you misunderstood me :(

my deck looks like this (except I have an empty spot where there's a tape deck on the picture):

That's a double-DIN slot, but there's actually a small separator between upper and lower halves. I want to install my ISO-DIN mp3 player into the lower half. Problem is, the ISO-din unit is smaller than the enclosure - by about 5/8" (or ~5/16" on each side), and if that wasn't enough, there are no sides or bottom in the opening - nowhere to put the screws into. Instead, there's a vertical metal bar in the back and the head unit is expected to have a sort of a rubber wedge in the back so that it'll be inserted into one of the holes in that metal bar. (blah, that's a mouthful)
See the picture (the hole is right above the red circle):

I guess I want something like this (http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=2765&cat=408&page=1) except that would take up both lower and upper slots, is for the wrong model... oy

so.. what do you think?

P.S. This one (http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/99-5510.html?id=4RIbNN6C) or this one (http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/99-5512.html?id=4RIbNN6C) look like something like what I need - but in description only.. from the pictures it looks like there's nowhere to fasten the screws into (neither sides nor bottom)

03-14-2005, 02:09 AM
call up crutchfield and ask them. I would rather pay them the xtra 10 and get it and get the phone support from them and stuff so you got it right. But what I posted I believe is similar to what you want it will fill up one half and make it like a slot to put cds change remotes etc in it. I had the same style in my ranger. But call them up

03-14-2005, 03:43 AM
ok thanks i'll do just that :)

03-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Okay, I called Crutchfield and they said '99 Protege uses Euro-DIN and they don't have any products that would let me install an ISO-DIN in there.
Guess I'm on my own on this one -_-

03-14-2005, 04:49 PM
heck i would even look into calling mazda up and asking them