View Full Version : Help a Noob build a system

Twocool4u1
03-13-2005, 01:10 AM
i just bought a 95 civic it has:

HU: pioneer deh p20
tweets: polk mm 1200
front door: pioneer ts a1666
rear: infinity 652i

it also has a coustic 100A amp. i dont think its hooked up to anything so i dont know if it works or not. i think there were subs in the trunk that they took out but i'm not sure of that either. there is a ground wire and 2 other wires in the trunk that don't arent attached to anything.

anyways i'm looking to spend around 4-500 bucks on a new system, not just a head unit. what should i buy? what shouldn't i buy? i'd like to be able to hook up my ipod and listen to it through the HU.

thanks for your help.

TimberJon
03-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Get a pair of Kind-of-cheap 10" subs from your local Audio shop, whoever everyone uses. Alpine subs are good, kenwood subs, whatever they stock. Dont get pyle or pyramids.
Get a good suggestion from the audio guys on an amp to run both of the subs. Get a quote on the enclosure for the subs as well. Ask for a quote on sealed AND ported boxes.

Then come back here and post to THIS post what they said, and we'll tell you if theyre full of BS or not.

Seems you have the power and ground hookups...

Did you want a new HU? I didnt catch whether you wanted a new one or not..

Twocool4u1
03-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Get a pair of Kind-of-cheap 10" subs from your local Audio shop, whoever everyone uses. Alpine subs are good, kenwood subs, whatever they stock. Dont get pyle or pyramids.
Get a good suggestion from the audio guys on an amp to run both of the subs. Get a quote on the enclosure for the subs as well. Ask for a quote on sealed AND ported boxes.

Then come back here and post to THIS post what they said, and we'll tell you if theyre full of BS or not.

Seems you have the power and ground hookups...

Did you want a new HU? I didnt catch whether you wanted a new one or not..

yeah, i wanted a new HU. something that I can hook my ipod up to.

TimberJon
03-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Hmm. well.. I dont know those ones.. I know that some HU manufacturers provide an adapter of some sort for their HU's for the IPODs. My homie just has a cassette deck, and hooks his ipod into it via one of those cassette converter things.

I'd suggest Alpine, but their ipod adapter is an extra $100 MSRP.

I'll take a look around.. Have not yet seen any HU's with a reasonable pricetag that have an IPOD interface built-in.

Twocool4u1
03-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Hmm. well.. I dont know those ones.. I know that some HU manufacturers provide an adapter of some sort for their HU's for the IPODs. My homie just has a cassette deck, and hooks his ipod into it via one of those cassette converter things.

I'd suggest Alpine, but their ipod adapter is an extra $100 MSRP.

I'll take a look around.. Have not yet seen any HU's with a reasonable pricetag that have an IPOD interface built-in.

what about an aux input. would it work there?