PDA

View Full Version : Distortion at High Volumes

GCAdidas13
03-12-2005, 05:33 PM
I have a weird situation that could use some explanation, if anyone knows.

I have DLS UR6 component sets. They come with the UR1 tweeter. If I turn my volume up to a certain point, voices of most songs distort. It isn't a bad distortion, it actually reminds me of reverb. Anyway, when I go into my crossover and switch the crossovers from low (where they are normally) to middle (i think it's +2dB or something) the distortion goes away.

I've tried everything I could think of today to get it to not distort, even rewiring the whole speaker setup to make sure I maintained polarity.

Thanks
Brian

flakko
03-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Anyway, when I go into my crossover and switch the crossovers from low (where they are normally) to middle (i think it's +2dB or something) the distortion goes away.

ummm correct me if im wrong, but i think you answered your own question

GCAdidas13
03-12-2005, 07:41 PM
turning up the tweeter removes distortion? i would like to have that explained...

GCAdidas13
03-12-2005, 09:21 PM
does it have anything to do with the midrange trying to put out bass and midrange at the same time? i thought so. Try playing regular music over a 30hz test tone on your computer speakers.

but i highpassed it at 160hz and there still was distortion.

i cant tell if the distortion was from the tweeters or the midranges. they both sound about normal when i play the tweets and midranges separately.

help?

Kali77
03-12-2005, 10:49 PM
GC,
I actually just got my Iridiums installed yesterday, and myself and my good buddy(the installer) were feeling the same thing as you. The woofer was trying to pick up 80% of the workload, with the tweeers tuned on the low frequency. I am going to try to tweek it a little tomorrow and see what we can do. PICS included ;)

Kali

flakko
03-13-2005, 12:12 AM
turning up the tweeter removes distortion? i would like to have that explained...

oh i dunno, cuz once you did that the distortion went away right, so that solved your problem

dont listen to me rite now :crazy:

GCAdidas13
03-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Anyone else take a guess? Maybe the speakers just are reaching their limits.

I've determined the distortion to be coming from the woofers. HOPEFULLY a sealed enclosure will help this :)