PDA

View Full Version : I screwed up big...Help

99Wolfsburg2.0
03-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Well i definitely screwed up. I made a box that is about .5 cubic feet when i wanted 1 AND i forgot to think about the subs displacemet itself. So what i have is a box that is .5 cubic feet and i need one that is about 1.1 . You think i could add enough polyfil to make it work or should i just make a new box. I bought a whole piece of mdf to being with so I have quite a bit left.
Also what effect on the sub will too small on an enclosure have?
this is a sealed box

please leave your thoughts

davidfre21
03-11-2005, 11:55 PM
just polyfill the bia

and if u bought a full sheet (im assuming) then with a .5cube box u should have a **** load left lol... ive gotten 2 boxes and an amp rack out of one sheet and i still have like 1/3 left.

99Wolfsburg2.0
03-11-2005, 11:57 PM
how much polyfil?...what does anyone else think?

cjjackson85
03-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Dude, you must have a FREAKIN' HUGE sub. Even an 18'' XXX only has displacement of 0.25 cu. ft. You have 2x that!

:needpics:

1zenlunatic
03-12-2005, 12:10 AM
First--Buy polyfill and try it. If you like the sound then you're cool.

Second--If you don't like the sound, then build another box to proper spec.

Those are your only options no?

bhsswrstlr
03-12-2005, 12:19 AM
im not exactly sure how this goes under the,"I screwed up big" title, but id say just build a new box...probably making sure not to leave out half of the air space you need this time

DirtySchemer
I think polyfill can only add ~40% increase, if done perfectly. So, no you can't get your 1 cube... but for $3 it can't hurt to try. Use 8 - 10 ounces.

cjjackson85
im not exactly sure how this goes under the,"I screwed up big" title

Boxes are time consuming man! Especially if you don't know what the heck your doing, like me! Time is money. :D

1zenlunatic
03-12-2005, 12:32 AM
Time/Money all relative.

Crazy how that works. In Reno, I can make a few hundred in less than a minute/ or lose that same amount in half the time..

But seriously, Its a good experience anyway. Your second box will be a faster project and will be better no doubt.

joeldirt
03-12-2005, 01:54 AM
You have plenty of material left. Sealed boxes are pretty forgiving for design error. You learn alor from mistakes, and you learn alot from experience. Now that you have built the one, and have the left over material any way, instead of just filling it with poly fill, just go ahead and build another. a small sealed box doesnt take much time to cut and assemble, and since you arent building this box to earn an income, time really isnt an issue when you try to factor in money. I take it you are doing this on your spare time off work for fun, or to save on buying a box. Since oyu already spent the money on a sheet of MDF, dont waste the money that is sitting there. Use it! Take the first one as a loss and a gain. A loss of about 5 bucks, and a gain in experience. This one will turn out better then the first, and you will be more comfortable with it since oyu wont have it in the back of your mind wonderig if it can sound better. Do not fret, this is no big deal.

packerfan
03-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Invert the **** sub...

saywhat?
03-12-2005, 08:04 PM
But seriously, Its a good experience anyway. Your second box will be a faster project and will be better no doubt.

i dont believe the "second time is always better" because my first box was alright, and everyone after ive f*cked up horribly.