PDA

View Full Version : Top Signal Processors /help...

TimberJon
03-11-2005, 02:39 PM
I know I've asked WAY too many questions here before. But i was listening to my system.. and i realized that it sounds a little different than it used to. a little fuzzy maybe. Maybe its the buzz in my head.

I believe I started getting this rediculous idea around the time I saw a review/documentary on "every system has to have a Line Driver of some kind"

and well... why the hell Didnt I think of that..?

So I went straight to yahoo and searched "best line drivers"
nothing.

went to Bcae1.com and read all about it.

SO, my conclusion depends on one major question of two possible answers.

Question being: Do I need one signal processing unit? Or the two-unit install as described on Babins' site?

Seems like AudioControl and ARC Audio make good stuff, and many different models from AudioControl. sweet..

Question on installation, My preference is just a single unit. $200 or lower.

If there IS one or more areas of interference with my RCA lines.. common sense would tell me that I would want the processor installed in the trunk, before the amp. Not in the front near the HU right?

Now in the other case, where theres the processing unit, and the Reciever.. Then the reciever goes in the trunk, and the processor goes in the front by the Head unit? I see no reason why the two would be near each other.

I had never researched signal processors or crossovers, So I dont really understand how it all works on the installation side. I DO understand that the signal processor takes an unbalanced signal, copies it, flips it across the center of the wave (that right?) and produces a balanced signal, or more balanced perhaps. While i believe i have no idea what im talking about, I DO hope that I have the general idea down.. A yay or nay on this would be helpful, thanks lol.

Well long question short, What are all the good ones? And I dont need a processor for my subs Do I? mostly just for the in-cabin speaks? Orr.. is that not a bad idea, having a processor for my subs?

Brand and model suggestions welcome! pile it on, Ill go look up stats myself.

Tips on what KIND of stats, or ranges of stats i'd be looking for is ALSO welcome.

Thanks guys! Soon as i get my second job (interviewing here and there) And I get out of major debt, AND can afford a digital camera.. I'll post all the pics I can manage from my system.

3.5Max6spd
03-11-2005, 02:43 PM
dude $200????? new? I dont think AudioControl has full processor that cheap

maybe a 30 band EQ/preamp of sorts

3.5Max6spd
03-11-2005, 02:54 PM
I dont think it matters how far the processor is mounted from either HU or amps- mount it in a convenient location

heres an install guide...
http://www.audiocontrol.com/PDF/ProductLit/MobileAudio/AM_reprint.v3.pdf

TimberJon
03-11-2005, 03:59 PM
I took a quick peek at a site I always use And saw some processors for around $100.
from your response.. Im thinking those arent very good...

Heres the lineup I took a peek at.

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=list&category=Audio%20Control

There was a bunch, So I just threw $200 out there. Im willing to spend upwards of $500 to complete my system.

Im also looking for one of those Phoenix Gold 20 or 30 farad power distributor units.. I believe its discontinued..

Dont have any caps, and dont want the teeny ones. Just a big one.

Since im on the Head Unit subforum...
Anyone know a good DIN style EQ orr... EQ monitor?

O ya, thanks for the install guide.

3.5Max6spd
03-11-2005, 04:28 PM
I took a quick peek at a site I always use And saw some processors for around $100.
from your response.. Im thinking those arent very good...

Heres the lineup I took a peek at.

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=list&category=Audio%20Control

There was a bunch, So I just threw $200 out there. Im willing to spend upwards of $500 to complete my system.

Im also looking for one of those Phoenix Gold 20 or 30 farad power distributor units.. I believe its discontinued..

Dont have any caps, and dont want the teeny ones. Just a big one.

Since im on the Head Unit subforum...
Anyone know a good DIN style EQ orr... EQ monitor?

O ya, thanks for the install guide.

Quite honestly....your HU and amps have adequate crossovers- you could definitly use better EQ than on your hu- in dash is always best as you can make adjustments on the fly
My brother has the arc peq7 half din- very nice, big headroom boost -9v line driver and 7 front freq's
the XEQ has these as well as Sub volume/control

Eclipse, Zapco , Clarion have other very nice half dins

TimberJon
03-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Half DIN huh? thats vertically right? So i could put another half DIN below or above one of these?

Hmmm... The one I saw was a full din.. but I was eyeballing that Tsunami half din power monitor thing... Itd be nice to keep track of my power figures back there.

Does anyone make a voltage and/or wattage meter half din with Digital numericals instead of just lights? curious..

Thanks alot man. I'll look up those companies. ARC peq7 half din hmmm...

What about a processor? is an EQ the same thing? A line driver?

3.5Max6spd
03-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Half DIN huh? thats vertically right? So i could put another half DIN below or above one of these?

Hmmm... The one I saw was a full din.. but I was eyeballing that Tsunami half din power monitor thing... Itd be nice to keep track of my power figures back there.

Does anyone make a voltage and/or wattage meter half din with Digital numericals instead of just lights? curious..

Thanks alot man. I'll look up those companies. ARC peq7 half din hmmm...

What about a processor? is an EQ the same thing? A line driver?

An actual processor will have built in 24bit DAC's(or whatever external DAC(s) in control of the signal, all else that falls in the category of a 'preamp'- Eq's and crossovers which boost your voltage signal and offer sound tailoring- all these will have high voltage line drivers

Many processors will come with a brain and a din or half din remote unit to operate it- you are looking at alot of money and wiring- but total control of all your components. People that are into the DIY component speaker matching/running active benefit most from it. With a processor you are running all digital for that matter

TimberJon
03-11-2005, 05:45 PM
hmm.. what about this sucker. Will that do the trick with minimal wiring? or should i go look at Eclipse?

Alpine PXA-H700

Im thinking, the eclipse heads are pretty ugly.. but maybe one of their 1/2 din EQs look good.. ill go see now..

3.5Max6spd
03-11-2005, 05:50 PM
hmm.. what about this sucker. Will that do the trick with minimal wiring? or should i go look at Eclipse?

Alpine PXA-H700

Im thinking, the eclipse heads are pretty ugly.. but maybe one of their 1/2 din EQs look good.. ill go see now..

That Alpine seems like your best choice, match equip....not sure if the colors will clash

TimberJon
03-11-2005, 05:54 PM
That Alpine seems like your best choice, match equip....not sure if the colors will clash

Im trying to keep a black face. I HATE all that silver crap... All my dash equip is black.

Thats a nice unit.. Now I have an extra DIN spot below where my current HU is.
could i pop this in there? or is it not as good as the Alpine unit?

Vestax
03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
If you bought the H700, it'll probably be the end of finding a processor for you. It has all the processing you need and even more. But it goes for more than $500. $500 is probably the cheapest I've seen used.

TimberJon
03-12-2005, 03:29 PM
If you bought the H700, it'll probably be the end of finding a processor for you. It has all the processing you need and even more. But it goes for more than $500. $500 is probably the cheapest I've seen used.

Hmmm.. I have great respect for Alpine stuff..

Maybe I'll go with the H900... okok im just kidding. NOT affordable.
notice i said upwards of $500 =P
Nah If its a lil over 500 then ill dish out the extra dough.. it looks good. Any reviews on it anywhere? Ive been seeing it around the web for about 600. Mebbe my asian audio homies in LBC can hook me up for 500 or so. They usually do that for me if i put the cash down up front, cuz im kind of a sales rep for their shop.

Thanks all, got a target now.

dammit... whered i put those stupid arrows... AHA!! EEEhehehehee..

daMMIt!! my bow is broken!!! craipe.. guess ill have to SAVE UP!!

haha peace all, thanks again.

squeak9798
03-12-2005, 03:52 PM
What exactly do you need the processor to do?? I don't think I've seen in this thread yet where you've said what you are lookin' for in a processor, or what functions you need it to perform. Because that H700 is an excellent unit.....but if you aren't going to ever use it to it's potential, then there are units that are much cheaper that would suite your needs just as well.

TimberJon
03-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Question being: Do I need one signal processing unit? Or the two-unit install as described on Babins' site?

Well long question short, What are all the good ones? And I dont need a processor for my subs Do I? mostly just for the in-cabin speaks? Orr.. is that not a bad idea, having a processor for my subs?

Brand and model suggestions welcome!

Exactly. For my current system, shown in my sig, What type of EQ or processor or line driver or whatever name its called, would be suitable? what figures or power or whatever, i know nothing about. As i said, i dont really understand how they work or what stats i'd be looking for.

Id LIKE one to complete my system. Because for some reason i believe its not really complete without one of these in the trunk. So what do you suggest?
I mean.. whats another $600-800 for better SQ?
on that note, CAN i get better SQ?
If thats one of the top units, I'll get it, even though I maybe will not use its potential later. Who knows.. maybe i will end up with an SUV and set up 4 subs instead of 2. Then I'd probably have 2 pairs of component sets, and some coaxials.

If i ever get to a setup like that, will the Alpine H700 unit in question work?
If so, and theres a good chance I will use it for multiple systems in the future, Then id get it.. So i dont have to go and buy the better unit later. see what I mean?

Defiler
04-22-2005, 10:50 AM
If you are still looking for an H700 I have one I can sell you for $550 shipped. The processor and the controller w/ the box, manual and all wires.