PDA

View Full Version : Opinions?

jiggyman
03-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Just looking for opinions on how I should do my setup. I purchased the xxx6.5s from the groupbuy which i'll be using obviously once they get here. I've heard alot about how theres no need for rear speakers, but I also have a brand new pair of infinity 6000cs lying around.

What do you think I should do? the xxx's upfront and the infinities in the back?
xxx's upfront, nothing in back?
infinities upfront, xxx's in back?

Also, can I use the tweeter and xover from the infinities for the xxx's if I decide to not use the 6000cs's?

Thanks alot

justsayk
03-11-2005, 04:57 AM
I'd put XXX 6.5 in the doors (well deadened and sealed) as dedicated midbass, and put the infinity components in kickpanels. That would provide better imaging and should provide plenty of midbass. You will need 4 channels of amplification up front. Not having rear fill will be good. You will also have to find a way to bandpass the midbass, and high pass the component set. For example, midbass plays from 50 to 150 hz, and comp set plays 150 and up.

jiggyman
03-11-2005, 05:59 PM
cool thanks alot

anyone else have any other ideas? or would this be the best way to go?

Is using the xxx's as dedicated midbass using them to there full potential? What if I only used the xxx's and had them play 50 and up? with no infinities?

tRiGgEr
03-11-2005, 06:00 PM
You could run the XXX's full range also using the infinity's in the rear. That should sound pretty good too.

puppie_chow
03-11-2005, 06:06 PM
I'd give them both to me, free of charge, if i was u.

justsayk
03-11-2005, 06:27 PM
You could throw out the infinity mids and run the XXX's from like 50 to wherever you want to cross the tweeter at. Then you wouldn't necessarily have to worry about kicks, but I still think using them as dedicated midbass would be awesome.

squeak9798
03-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Also, can I use the tweeter and xover from the infinities for the xxx's if I decide to not use the 6000cs's?

Well, you can use the tweeter and xover (on the tweeter only), but you can not run the XXX mids on that xover.

What amp and HU do you have? I would run the XXX mids upfront in either a 2-way or 3-way setup, and put nothing in the rear.

jiggyman
03-12-2005, 02:24 AM
alpine9831 HU, no amp yet, deciding on a setup before I purchase one.

So I can use these tweets with the xovers, but I need another xover for each of the 2 xxx speakers?

Yea thats what I was thinking, xxx's upfront and nothing in the rear, would be much less complicated too i'd think.

squeak9798
03-12-2005, 12:02 PM
So I can use these tweets with the xovers, but I need another xover for each of the 2 xxx speakers?

Yup. You'd need a way to crossover the XXX mids. You won't be able to just walk out and buy a passive xover for them either. Also, you'd need a 4-channel amp, since each speaker would need it's own channel.

The 9831 doesn't have the built in 3-way xover w/ bandpass, does it? But it does have a HPF, correct? If so, you can use the HU's built in highpass and find an amp that will allow you to lowpass the mids high enough. That might be difficult. Or, you can find an amp with a bandpass filter (again, not many). Or, you can send them off to Madisound and have them custom build you a passive xover. Also, you can buy an active xover that has a bandpass filter. Or you can try to accomplish the bandpass filter using a combination of Fmods and either your amp or HU's xovers.

justsayk
03-12-2005, 05:05 PM
The 9831 doesn't have the built in 3-way xover w/ bandpass, does it? But it does have a HPF, correct? If so, you can use the HU's built in highpass and find an amp that will allow you to lowpass the mids high enough. That might be difficult. Or, you can find an amp with a bandpass filter (again, not many). Or, you can send them off to Madisound and have them custom build you a passive xover. Also, you can buy an active xover that has a bandpass filter. Or you can try to accomplish the bandpass filter using a combination of Fmods and either your amp or HU's xovers.

Gets confusing kind of quickly. It might be easier to find a second amp in order to run the xxx's as dedicated midbass. It would just need a subsonic filter that could go up to about ~50 hz and a lowpass filter that went up to like ~250 hz or higher. Then you would still need to put the infinities in kicks. You have a lot of options to consider.

jiggyman
03-13-2005, 12:13 AM
yea that did get pretty confusing, but thanks for the info.

If i just take these to an installation place, are they gonna know all this? will I be able to just drop it all off and come back at the end of the day and its all good? or because i went with the xxx mids, i got myself in over my head? for now anyway?

justsayk
03-13-2005, 02:57 AM
Well, you might have to explain to them exactly where you want everything, but a good shop could do it. Do you know anyone that could guide you through the install and do most/ some of the work yourself? You are going to have to pay a lot of money to have this stuff installed at a store.

jiggyman
03-13-2005, 07:02 AM
yea i don't really have much of a choice though, I have no friends that know more about car audio than me, and you guys can pretty much all see the extent of my knowlege already lol. I would be willing to do the work though

squeak9798
03-13-2005, 10:45 AM
What might not be a bad idea is installing all of your speakers in the locations you want them (remember to sound deaden and seal the door, and to mount the XXX mids to a very, very solid surface). Run speaker wires from the speakers to your trunk (where I assume your amp and such will be) and mark the wires so you know which wire goes to which speaker. Then go into to a shop and ask them for help from there, such as finding a good amp to power them all and help you find a good way to cross over all the speakers. But, this way you'd have the speakers installed and most, if not all, of the wire ran.....which should cut down on what they'd charge you for the install of the amps and such.

jiggyman
03-14-2005, 01:41 AM
yea thats a good idea, i might just do that.

One more question about crossing over the xxx's. How exactly do I find an xover that will work? and why won't the infinity xovers work?

squeak9798
03-14-2005, 10:03 AM
How exactly do I find an xover that will work?

You likely won't find a passive xover that will work. One would have to be custom built (for example, www.madisound.com custom builds passive crossovers). Other than that, you would have to go with some type of active xover or use a combination of the HU's and amp's crossovers.

and why won't the infinity xovers work?

Because you need to use the same impedence speakers on passive xovers, otherwise it will change the xover point and result in rather poor performance. The XXX mids are 2ohm, your Infinity mid is likely atleast 4ohm.....so you can't just drop the XXX mids on the Infinity xovers and expect good results since they are different impedences. Also, if the Infinity's xover had anything speaker specific built in to it, such as a Zobel network, then it is even harder to replace the mid with something different and have satisfactory results. The specs of the two mids would need to be nearly identical for that to work well.

jiggyman
03-16-2005, 02:41 AM
ok sweet, thanks alot for the info man

my 15" XXX and 6.5xxx's just came today, so im happy :)