PDA

View Full Version : Better components?

Ryde _Or_Die
03-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Well right now I have the CDT CL-61s which handle 90RMS. I have like 70-75rms going to them right now, but I'd like them quite a bit louder when I upgrade my sub. If I give them 110rms each but keep the gains down will that do the job? Or should I upgrade to the CL62s which handle 150rms? Or is there something comparable for a better price that handles 110+RMS? Let me know what you think, while I sift through the millions of "components" threads, lol.

squeak9798
03-09-2005, 06:33 PM
If I give them 110rms each but keep the gains down

FYI: You are either giving them 110w RMS, or your not. If you stick them on an amp that does 110w RMS, but turn the gains down some, then you are decreasing the amps output and no longer giving them 110w RMS.....but instead, some amount less. So, as you can see, that would likely not aid you much in doing anything other than leaving the amp some "headroom", but not actually giving the speakers much more power.

Honestly, what I'd do is leave them just as they are till after you upgrade your sub. After you actually have the new sub up and running and can hear what it sounds like with your current setup, then decide whether your current front stage is suitable or not.

Ryde _Or_Die
03-09-2005, 06:50 PM
FYI: You are either giving them 110w RMS, or your not. If you stick them on an amp that does 110w RMS, but turn the gains down some, then you are decreasing the amps output and no longer giving them 110w RMS.....but instead, some amount less. So, as you can see, that would likely not aid you much in doing anything other than leaving the amp some "headroom", but not actually giving the speakers much more power.

Honestly, what I'd do is leave them just as they are till after you upgrade your sub. After you actually have the new sub up and running and can hear what it sounds like with your current setup, then decide whether your current front stage is suitable or not.

Thats a good idea, but I will still want them louder since I do currently with my sub set I have. So I still need some louder comps. How about these Boston Acoustics?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2418.html

Will they be ALOT louder getting 110 each than my CDTs getting 70 or so? All while sounding as good or better than my CDTs? And can they actually handle the full 150RMS and sound good? Thanks for the help.

Echo42987
03-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Those Bostons are pretty old arn't they!? I think thats an older model if I'm not correct correct me. But Upgrade those CDT's there nice speakers.

squeak9798
03-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Those Bostons are pretty old arn't they!? I think thats an older model if I'm not correct correct me.

Nope, they are the current line: http://bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?ProductID=67&CategoryID=14

Anyways.....without hearing your current setup, it's really hard to say if they'll be "a lot louder" than what you are running now.

Ryde _Or_Die
03-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Well do those handle 150rms per side or total?

squeak9798
03-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Well do those handle 150rms per side or total?

Per side

BOOKER
03-10-2005, 12:40 PM
I have those Boston Acoustics FS60 and I'm feeding them with 70watts rms/each, and they sound great :eek: , maybe I will upgrade to a bigger amp (125-150watts :up2somet: ), but you should be more than happy with them, nice product.

Go get them :slap:

Ryde _Or_Die
03-10-2005, 05:35 PM
I have those Boston Acoustics FS60 and I'm feeding them with 70watts rms/each, and they sound great :eek: , maybe I will upgrade to a bigger amp (125-150watts :up2somet: ), but you should be more than happy with them, nice product.

Go get them :slap:

Do you have any subs? If so what do you have? Because I need LOUDER definitely, and if they handle 150rms per side they would be perfect as long as they would still be clear with that much power.

But do you guys think thats an upgrade from cdt cl61's ?

BOOKER
03-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Do you have any subs? If so what do you have? Because I need LOUDER definitely, and if they handle 150rms per side they would be perfect as long as they would still be clear with that much power.

But do you guys think thats an upgrade from cdt cl61's ?

I have two JL 12W3V2 on a sealed box powered by a 750 watt amp., they blend nicely to the comps, and can get pretty loud too. :up2somet:

Definately they will sound better if I double the power to them, but right now they can get pretty loud 'n clear, so don't worry about their power handling they can candle more than that. :thumbsup:

I had never heard those cdt's so I can't tell you if it's an upgrade or what. Just remember that these BA are NOT the top of the line but :imo: they are the best for the price, that's why I bought them and I will do it again. :word:

If money is no object then go for BA's Pro Series, MB Quart, Kicker, JL, etc.

:peace:

Ryde _Or_Die
03-11-2005, 11:09 AM
So what about these?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3110.html

or these?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_700.html

I really want something with a metal tweeter since thats what I will have in the rear. Just want it louder up front.

BOOKER
03-11-2005, 12:42 PM
:nono: You don't need that much power running into comps to play loud 'n clear, what makes you think that :uhoh:

You said you are runnin like 70 watts rms and it's not loud enough for you? :waycrazy:

It's up to your preference taste, all your choices are great, but I'm keeping my FS60 :D

:peace: