PDA

View Full Version : mutant set?

noob with an RS
03-09-2005, 04:58 AM
hey my buddy has a Boston RC620 component system crossover unit. just the x-over, not the a midrange and tweet. should he get a midrange and tweeter and use it with the box or should he just get a new component system? if he scould work with getting a mid and tweet for each box where should he get them and which ones??

adam71
03-09-2005, 06:02 AM
Thats a tough question. It could work. I myself use MTX Black Gold 6.5s, 4s, and tweets with a MBQuart xover. The crossover was (obviously) NOT made for my drivers but the xover points matched up pretty close and it resulted in a good sound.

squeak9798
03-09-2005, 07:36 PM
It really depends. First things first, he'd have to know what impedence drivers the crossover was made for, and then use the exact same impedence drivers in his DIY (Do It Yourself) comp set.

Second thing is that if the crossover has any speaker specific things built in (like a zobel network), then results may not be too pleasant.

noob with an RS
03-09-2005, 10:53 PM
whats a zobel network do?

ANeonRider
03-09-2005, 11:00 PM
http://www.trueaudio.com/st_zobel.htm

Adding a Zobel to a woofer will allow the passive crossover to work more effectively. The impedance of the woofer will also be restored to the driverís nominal impedance throughout the high frequency range. This technique allows the use of crossovers designed for resistive loads to operate as intended.

Might be just a tad above your comprehension level though.

Phiber Optik
03-13-2005, 05:33 AM
In reference to the zobel;

The article doesn't show what frequency the impedence flattens at...
Who cares if it's stays true 4 or 8ohm woofer if its producing an 8000hz tone.
That is what the tweeter is there to take care of.
My install experience hasn't covered inadequate highrange, In the past I commonly experienced harsh high end and lacking mid.

If it flattened at 50hz that would be something to rave about...