PDA

View Full Version : Can i use an 8" Midbass instead of subs?

ErnMcCracken
03-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Well i have my front cdt components but need some bass. I don't really want to get like a 10" or 12" sub cause it will have to go in my hatch somewhere and take up space. Is it possible to put some 8" Midbass's in my rear speaker openings? Its a Scion tC and the rear speaker opening I think is capable of holding an 8" speaker and it will be hidden in the factory speaker location. Just wondering if this is pointless and or will it give me a good amount of bass? I am not looking to shake my car just get the low freqs. I will be using my Van Gogh amp to push them.

ANeonRider
03-07-2005, 09:27 PM
8" midbass is not ideal to play sub frequencies unless they are designed to play below 60Hz. Also, free-air installations are not for the novice installer. Maybe a small enclosure with a couple RE 8's?

What is your budget?

ErnMcCracken
03-07-2005, 09:41 PM
$200

req
03-07-2005, 10:26 PM
id just get a pair of 8's that use the smallest possible box size, and seal them in a fiberglass box.

question - you said you have a hatch? is that a HATCH BACK?

if so- you can make yourself a new 'hatch cover' thing (you know that thing that covers the hatch area of your trunk under the glass) and install the speakers in there, so when you open the hatch, they lift up.

put the amp on that too - but make it like 4" thick so everything can fit.

a good pair of 6.5 midbass speakers might work too. but $200 for an amp and speakers is kinda low. i dunno how good you could do with that.