PDA

View Full Version : dolby digital vs. dts

soundstreamer
03-06-2005, 07:18 PM
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/dolbydigitaldts.php

i went searching for a comparo after someone told me:"dts just puts too much emphasis on the rear speakers...dolby digital is better".
i've always watched movies in dts whenever possible...i just always liked the way it produced the sound effects more than dd did and don't mind the "emphasis on the rear speakers" because it still only seems to be there when the action is behind the camera or is supposed to be an overwealming(sp?) sound. the only thing i don't like about dts is the piano cut scene before the movie you get on a lot of dvds. which do you like and why?

PV Audio
03-06-2005, 07:49 PM
stereo. and give me that SX in ur sig and spot me a few of the 8s.

liar2
03-06-2005, 07:57 PM
I prefer DTS by a long shot. Dolby Digital mixes the channels quite a bit to produce a "surround sound" effect which is not natively there. At least, not all the time. DTS is much richer and crisper, IMO. I just wish I had a DTS decoding reciever on my television. My computer speakers do it... but I need a bigger screen

johnecon2001
03-06-2005, 07:59 PM
there is an actual encoding difference.. not just the way it sounds. I need to whip out my 5.1 books again to tell you the exact difference.. but its not just "this is mixed different and sounds better".

I'll get back to you.

EDIT:

Dolby Digital: Discrete 5.1 channel sound (L,R, Center, Surround L, Surround R and LFE (low frequency effects via subwoofer.)

DTS: Discrete 5.1 channel digital sound but with less compression than Dolby Digital. While much less common than DD, a purist would probably say it's technically better. In reality, it's just another format of discrete digital surround sound.

Dolby Pro Logic II: A SIMULATED version of Dolby Digital that works with any stereo source or non-DD encoded material. This is a good way to get the sound of DD from video tapes and TV broadcasts, which, by definition, cannot be encoded in Dolby Digital.

http://www.eadhome.nl/english/solutions/home/surround/dolby_digital_vs_dts.html

JimJ
03-06-2005, 08:37 PM
dolby scholby...give me quality over quantity for channels anyday :)

I like the sig pic. A lot.

m3rK201
03-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Dts

Ray21
03-07-2005, 05:38 PM
If DTS is available I usually pick it.
Better LFE & surround action.

HeadBussa86
03-09-2005, 10:22 PM
K DTS is more expensive to encode in to a DVD therefore it is not used as widely. DTS has higher bandwith with less compression, it picks up the details DD doesn't. DTS and DD both require an optical or digital coax connection to achieve and if not a Left/Right stereo connection will be used giving you either NEO or Dolby Pro Logic, both simulated surround sound.

desi_daru
03-10-2005, 03:27 AM
dts, jus like the way it sounds

oh ya i watch it on my home theatre not puter, so my shiz is all hardware no software like on comp