PDA

View Full Version : need someone to design me a box

bonesninja
03-06-2005, 07:43 PM
ok boys --- i need someone to design me a box. jmac did my last box but i've pm'd him a couple times to get no response back so i need a box guru to help me out. 2 alpine type x 12"s 4 cf after displacement tuned to 35 hz each sub in its own chamber w/ slot ports. anyone want to help me out here? will pay $10. let me know. i got all the other specs from alpine too.

supa_c
03-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Mrray13 does them for $15

amedeuce
03-06-2005, 07:46 PM
moe lester

negativezeroz
03-06-2005, 09:14 PM
moe does good boxes :) if you dont want to build it, he will..very good boxes

Moe Lester
03-06-2005, 10:32 PM
I can do it.. shoot me a PM

Raven
03-07-2005, 03:01 PM
^ See above post.

Speaking of which, if my newest idea doesn't work out, I'll be sending one your way, too.

ndnbolla
03-07-2005, 03:20 PM
how difficult can box designing be? although i dont even know how to design a boxes yet im sure it will be pretty easy to learn if and when i do decide to learn. once you get down the basic principals of port area calculation, its pretty easy to build any kind of box including ported ones.

maybe im missing something?

bonesninja
03-07-2005, 03:30 PM
how difficult can box designing be? although i dont even know how to design a boxes yet im sure it will be pretty easy to learn if and when i do decide to learn. once you get down the basic principals of port area calculation, its pretty easy to build any kind of box including ported ones.

maybe im missing something?
well since the quality of the sound your looking for is about 90% install/enclosure design--------its a good idea to get it right.

Raven
03-07-2005, 03:36 PM
There's *so* much more to it than just port area and length. I talked to Jmac while he was designing mine back in January. I learned more in 3 days than 3 months listening to local dealers. Anyone can cut holes in a sealed box, but the pro can do it right. That's why 2 out of the 2 ported boxes I've made haven't quite been able to sound good. =p

kc313
03-07-2005, 07:15 PM
There's *so* much more to it than just port area and length. I talked to Jmac while he was designing mine back in January. I learned more in 3 days than 3 months listening to local dealers. Anyone can cut holes in a sealed box, but the pro can do it right. That's why 2 out of the 2 ported boxes I've made haven't quite been able to sound good. =p

I'd be interested to hear what more there is to it that takes a pro to do? There must be a **** good reason for these "pros" to be charging people $10-$15 for some
box dimensions :rolleyes:

dkc62
03-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Stupid question but whats included in the design? It's like blue prints right? A step by step instructions also?

ndnbolla
03-07-2005, 07:34 PM
i think one of the box building pros needs to create a box designing tutorial and one of the mods should sticky it. would be pretty useful. just a basic tutorial about how to create a design for sealed and ported enclosures, not custom boxes.

but a few people could lose business...

bonesninja
03-07-2005, 07:43 PM
I'd be interested to hear what more there is to it that takes a pro to do? There must be a **** good reason for these "pros" to be charging people $10-$15 for some
any box guys wanna take this one?

bonesninja
03-07-2005, 08:18 PM
the way i look at it is this----if i have to 10-15 extra bucks to get it right--then thats pretty cheap considering i'll have well over a grand in my trunk alone not including wiring and head unit and interior speakers. so whats an extra couple duckets?

kc313
03-07-2005, 08:54 PM
the way i look at it is this----if i have to 10-15 extra bucks to get it right--then thats pretty cheap considering i'll have well over a grand in my trunk alone not including wiring and head unit and interior speakers. so whats an extra couple duckets?

This forum is here to help people learn about car audio. I realize you offered to pay someone to design your box right off the bat but in most cases on here, people ask for help designing a box and the first reply they get is "pay someone to do it" or "I'll do it for $15"....I just don't see how this is one bit helpful. If you think you should be getting paid for your services, open up or go to work for an install shop.

In some cases it may be more difficult to design the box but yours and most requests on here are pretty straightforward, you know the volume and tuning frequency you want or they are specified by the manufacturer. It doesn't take much more than 20 minutes to calculate the dimensions for one of these. I often see a few of the people who charge for designs logged onto the forum for hours on end...it is pitiful that they can't take an extra 20 minutes to help out a fellow car audio enthusiast.

bonesninja, if you want a FREE blueprint, send me a pm.

bonesninja
03-07-2005, 08:58 PM
This forum is here to help people learn about car audio. I realize you offered to pay someone to design your box right off the bat but in most cases on here, people ask for help designing a box and the first reply they get is "pay someone to do it" or "I'll do it for $15"....I just don't see how this is one bit helpful. If you think you should be getting paid for your services, open up or go to work for an install shop.

In some cases it may be more difficult to design the box but yours and most requests on here are pretty straightforward, you know the volume and tuning frequency you want or they are specified by the manufacturer. It doesn't take much more than 20 minutes to calculate the dimensions for one of these. I often see a few of the people who charge for designs logged onto the forum for hours on end...it is pitiful that they can't take an extra 20 minutes to help out a fellow car audio enthusiast.

bonesninja, if you want a FREE blueprint, send me a pm.while i apreciate your offer and understand where your coming from--i think i'll pass as i have already employed another member and i am a man of my word. also notice the title of my post...if i wanted help i woulda asked for it but i chose instead to ask someone to do it for me. but sincerely i do appreciate your offer.

kc313
03-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Did you title your post that way because that is what you have come to expect from this forum? You knew nobody would offer to do it for free.

Maybe the member doing your design will chime in and justify his charges.

bonesninja
03-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Did you title your post that way because that is what you have come to expect from this forum? You knew nobody would offer to do it for free.

Maybe the member doing your design will chime in and justify his charges.
how about i justify them for him.....i offered to pay someone, he responded nuff said. let it go.

iceteebone
03-07-2005, 09:23 PM

there is a good thread here showing how to do a ported box http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74715&highlight=george

bonesninja
03-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Jesus Freakin Christ ----how The Fock Did This Turn Into A Flame Thread Or A Thread Directing Me To Do It Myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Said I Would Pay For It--i Am--everyone Else Shut The Fock Up And Don't Worry About How I'm Spending My Goddamm Money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iceteebone
03-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Jesus Freakin Christ ----how The Fock Did This Turn Into A Flame Thread Or A Thread Directing Me To Do It Myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Said I Would Pay For It--i Am--everyone Else Shut The Fock Up And Don't Worry About How I'm Spending My Goddamm Money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude i was even talking to you :rolleyes: he said that no one on this forum wants to help with ported boxes and i just pointed out that thread, that there is info on this forum for a do it yourselfer. i paid for plans before and even paid someone to build my box, so don't get your nuts in a vice over it. :uhoh:

bonesninja
03-07-2005, 09:32 PM
dude i was even talking to you :rolleyes: he said that no one on this forum wants to help with ported boxes and i just pointed out that thread, that there is info on this forum for a do it yourselfer. i paid for plans before and even paid someone to build my box, so don't get your nuts in a vice over it. :uhoh:o--my fault man. well thats directed at the other dude then.

InhumanAcura
03-07-2005, 09:35 PM

stfu...box plans take time to do....time = money

sorry for dumping bonesninja...

bonesninja
03-07-2005, 09:37 PM

no problem dude

joeldirt
03-08-2005, 05:03 AM

I concur. This site is for helping people learn about car audio, not for free advertisement of services. And designing a box really isnt as hard as every one makes it seem. Sound quality is not hard to achieve. Depends on what type of sound oyu are looking for. mainly it is the construction of the box where people fail with a well design. That is a huge pet peve of mine. People taking a great design and putting it together with **** poor craftsmanship. and or planning for a desired sound coming from the enclosure.

After you PM him for the design, PM me if you have any questions on going about constructing it with solid results, and a professional look. and yes, my advice is FREE as well. I am learning alot about car audio. One thing I am **** good at however is wood work, and construction techniques.

joeldirt
03-08-2005, 05:16 AM

Time is money, and time is often hard to come by. It's like spending money to make money. the more time you invest in learning how to do somthing your self, the less money you will have to pay for others to do the shtuff for you. Not trying to take your business away. I respect every business man, since he earns his money. Telling some one to shut the ____ up is unprofessional as a business person though. They were basically encouraging a person to learn a new skill, it is interesting, and fun. The possibilities are endless. If a person has no intrest in learning on their own (usually it is because they are intimidated by how confusing it seems to be in the begining) then they will decide to pay someone to do it for them. In which they will make a statement similar to the one he made. (I will pay ten bucks) SO I agree with the both of you. yes time is money when providing a service. Also designing boxes are not that dificult, if bonesninja wants, he can ask questions and read online and in books in the library to do it himself.

joeldirt
03-08-2005, 05:30 AM

Either this guy is lazy, or doesnt have a clue how to use a simple power tool and a calculator. Or both. It's okay.

bonesninja
03-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Either this guy is lazy, or doesnt have a clue how to use a simple power tool and a calculator. Or both. It's okay.or maybe this guy doesn't fit into your frame of thinking--either way no one cares about your opinion. i happen to be a journeyman tool and die maker who's quite capable of of using power tools--so put that in your hippie pipe and smoke it.

iceteebone
03-09-2005, 08:35 PM
what is your guys problem with someone wanting plans made up? it's not as simple as saying ok make something 3 cubes tuned to 30 hz. they take the ts parameters of your sub and come up with a design according to those and compny specs. also i don't see inhumanacura going around advertising his boxes. he does not have anything posted his sig saying hey buy my boxes. i found out about him from word of mouth not because of advertising.

joeldirt
03-09-2005, 08:55 PM
or maybe this guy doesn't fit into your frame of thinking--either way no one cares about your opinion. i happen to be a journeyman tool and die maker who's quite capable of of using power tools--so put that in your hippie pipe and smoke it.

LOL, you know if the USMC would let me put anyhting in any kind of pipe, I still wouldnt smoke it. I was out of line making the comment I made. I apologize for it too. I just wish more people got involved with lkearning how to do this ****, being as how fun it is to learn a new skill. Not to mention you can pass your knowledge on to others later on down the road. And you can do your own customizations instead of having to spend your hard earned money. SOme people want thunder in their cars, so they pay other people to do it for them. But this site is for people wanting to learn how to do the **** them selfs. THat is why you find people like me trying to encourage people to learn how to do it. If paying someone else to do the stuff for you floats your boat. There is nothign wrong with that. As for my opinions, I know I am not god's gift to car audio, nor is any one else on this site. But my opinionsw may not be given for only you to see. It was more along the lines to someone wnating to design their own box, but find it intimidating. Maybe more people will find the motivation to learn a new skill. SO once again, I apologize for making that comment. I my self can't actually build any boxes at the moment, being as though I am in Okinawa Japan fixing USMC CH53D helicoptors. I have 5 years experience with htis aircraft, and 6 years experience in fine wood working. so we have something in common with being good at our jobs. Have a good one, and good luck with your project, I hope the guy you pay to do your plans is good.

InhumanAcura
03-09-2005, 09:07 PM
LOL, you know if the USMC would let me put anyhting in any kind of pipe, I still wouldnt smoke it. I was out of line making the comment I made. I apologize for it too. I just wish more people got involved with lkearning how to do this ****, being as how fun it is to learn a new skill. Not to mention you can pass your knowledge on to others later on down the road. And you can do your own customizations instead of having to spend your hard earned money. SOme people want thunder in their cars, so they pay other people to do it for them. But this site is for people wanting to learn how to do the **** them selfs. THat is why you find people like me trying to encourage people to learn how to do it. If paying someone else to do the stuff for you floats your boat. There is nothign wrong with that. As for my opinions, I know I am not god's gift to car audio, nor is any one else on this site. But my opinionsw may not be given for only you to see. It was more along the lines to someone wnating to design their own box, but find it intimidating. Maybe more people will find the motivation to learn a new skill. SO once again, I apologize for making that comment. I my self can't actually build any boxes at the moment, being as though I am in Okinawa Japan fixing USMC CH53D helicoptors. I have 5 years experience with htis aircraft, and 6 years experience in fine wood working. so we have something in common with being good at our jobs. Have a good one, and good luck with your project, I hope the guy you pay to do your plans is good.

IIRC didnt you send me a pm about a box a ways back?

joeldirt
03-09-2005, 09:42 PM
IIRC didnt you send me a pm about a box a ways back?

I never PM'd you about a box, I may have posted in a thread that you were posting in as well, I cna't remember. I do recognize you as InhumanAcura though. I can't remember what the discussion was.

Actually, I know exactly what you are talking about. it was the one about finding the correct volume for the box. I suggested making a removable bottom and making the ports longer, and cutting them down until you achieve the mark you are looking for. When my idea suggested the ability to keep the box you are planning to actually use, yours suggested building a spereate box with ends that slide in and out to add or subtract internal volume. Our ideas were actually similar, yet the difference was yours consisted of building a seperate box then make a replica of the dimensions. Which one is retarded? neither. Your idea is pretty ingenuitive I like it, probably an idea I would use my self if I were to mass produce boxes for a paticular sub making many individual replica's. But if I were only making one, I would probably do it my way.

bonesninja
03-10-2005, 02:33 AM
LOL, you know if the USMC would let me put anyhting in any kind of pipe, I still wouldnt smoke it. I was out of line making the comment I made. I apologize for it too. I just wish more people got involved with lkearning how to do this ****, being as how fun it is to learn a new skill. Not to mention you can pass your knowledge on to others later on down the road. And you can do your own customizations instead of having to spend your hard earned money. SOme people want thunder in their cars, so they pay other people to do it for them. But this site is for people wanting to learn how to do the **** them selfs. THat is why you find people like me trying to encourage people to learn how to do it. If paying someone else to do the stuff for you floats your boat. There is nothign wrong with that. As for my opinions, I know I am not god's gift to car audio, nor is any one else on this site. But my opinionsw may not be given for only you to see. It was more along the lines to someone wnating to design their own box, but find it intimidating. Maybe more people will find the motivation to learn a new skill. SO once again, I apologize for making that comment. I my self can't actually build any boxes at the moment, being as though I am in Okinawa Japan fixing USMC CH53D helicoptors. I have 5 years experience with htis aircraft, and 6 years experience in fine wood working. so we have something in common with being good at our jobs. Have a good one, and good luck with your project, I hope the guy you pay to do your plans is good.ok here's the thing---ppl just assume that i don't know how to do it or something along those lines but the fact is that i work 50 hours a week at one job plus i am a welding sub-contractor for my former employer. Add those 70-80 hours a week to raising 5 and 7 year old sons and my plate is pretty full so now that ppl think they know me...judge on. And by the way good for you for being a Marine, i got nothin but love for military considering i spent 10 years of my life in the airborne infantry in the army.

joeldirt
03-10-2005, 02:42 AM
ok here's the thing---ppl just assume that i don't know how to do it or something along those lines but the fact is that i work 50 hours a week at one job plus i am a welding sub-contractor for my former employer. Add those 70-80 hours a week to raising 5 and 7 year old sons and my plate is pretty full so now that ppl think they know me...judge on. And by the way good for you for being a Marine, i got nothin but love for military considering i spent 10 years of my life in the airborne infantry in the army.

And in turn good on you for pullin the ammount of weight you do to provide a good life for them kids. I wasnt trying to judging you either, I stepped out of line and I did make an assumption that you were a typical lazy type wasting space. Again I am sorry. I know what its like working 50/ 60 / even 80 hour weeks while trying to finish up on my Business degree and trying to make it to each softball tournament and game. Life is full of sacrifice. Keep kickin ***, and good luck with your project. * Joel Dirt

bonesninja
03-10-2005, 02:43 AM
And in turn good on you for pullin the ammount of weight you do to provide a good life for them kids. I wasnt trying to judging you either, I stepped out of line and I did make an assumption that you were a typical lazy type wasting space. Again I am sorry. I know what its like working 50/ 60 / even 80 hour weeks while trying to finish up on my Business degree and trying to make it to each softball tournament and game. Life is full of sacrifice. Keep kickin ***, and good luck with your project. * Joel Dirt
thank you--stay strong

Termlab
03-10-2005, 02:46 AM
so you are all straight with this box building stuff??? need anything, send me a pm, i'll help design you a box in the future... for free... or you can pay me. either way, i'm just in it to help people out :D

joeldirt
03-10-2005, 05:26 AM
so you are all straight with this box building stuff??? need anything, send me a pm, i'll help design you a box in the future... for free... or you can pay me. either way, i'm just in it to help people out :D

I am sure every one has it under control. Thanks man. mis comunication, or misperception is all.