PDA

View Full Version : Bondo Help Quick Please!!!

Alex_8803
03-03-2005, 02:53 PM
hey i just on working on a fiberglass box i mad and i got some bondo, put the first layer on and sanded the poop out of it, thers still som riges and stuff tho so i need another layer of bondo. is there a good way to thin out the bondo so that i can get a little bit nice finish for the top layer of bondo and not have the ridges i get w/ the regular bondo not thinned.

all i have seen so far is to mix it w/ fiberglass resiin, but that dosnt really shound like it would thin it very much at all... can i just use water and mix it in to thin it out, or shouldi use paint thinner or somthing like that

thanks sfor the help, ps reason for quick please is that i wanna try to get it all done leater today causei have nothing going on!!!

thanks a ton

a;lex

DFW40
03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Mix it with Acetone and that will make it nice and smooth. Play with different amounts until you get the consistency you are looking for.

req
03-03-2005, 03:30 PM
epoxy = fiberglass resin \ bondo

acetone = paint thinner.

paint thinner = resin thinner

water wont mix with epoxy at all. acetone thins it up quite nicely, and it will eat all the bondo\resin off your hands in like 30 seconds if you get any on yourself. so go buy a tub for like $4 :)

bonesninja
03-03-2005, 03:31 PM
also you may to try the lightweight bondo---its light blue in color when you mix it.

req
03-03-2005, 03:38 PM
also you may to try the lightweight bondo---its light blue in color when you mix it.

not always. ive had some peach and some green.

its basically the same things as regular bondo+acetone, but you can make it as thick\thin as you want.

jujumantb
03-03-2005, 03:41 PM
next time, do lots of VERY thin layers when bondo-ing, otherwise you get a very uneven surface and it requires TONS of sanding. For the little imperfections, first makes sure to wash it with a damp cloth, then apply spot putty, bondo brand makes some good stuff for it.

ndnbolla
03-03-2005, 04:53 PM
i plan on making a fiberglass box soon and was wondering when exactly do you put the bondo on? is it after you are done fiberglassing all of the layerson before attaching the baffle or...?

req
03-03-2005, 05:17 PM
to make it smooth and paintable. if you just wanna carpet it, just sand off all the huge lumps and throw the carpet on :)

jujumantb
03-03-2005, 05:21 PM
i plan on making a fiberglass box soon and was wondering when exactly do you put the bondo on? is it after you are done fiberglassing all of the layerson before attaching the baffle or...?
The baffle should be the first thing you attach, befor eyou even stretch the mold. Bondo is basically used to smooth outside of the fiberglass so you can either paint or cover it without having big bumps etc.. Its the final step before finishing/covering it.

Alex_8803
03-03-2005, 05:31 PM
awsome, im gonna get some acetone and check that out...

thanks a ton,!!!!

maylar
03-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Body guys use something called polyester glazing compound. It's exactly what you're looking for. It's like thin bondo that covers the pinholes and sands out super smooth.

Alex_8803
03-04-2005, 03:51 PM
ok cool ,i just put a few layers of thin bondo on using the acetone like you said, worked great, i can use it w/. a paintbrush (which still leaves lines :( ) but then i jsut went over that w/ a plastic piece to smooth it out. i just gotta get the trusty hand stander bac k at my house since its at my cabin and then ill have it all sanded out then use the putty to smooth it over so i can paint it and make it look nice!

any tips for sanding the bondo good?

i was gonna use like 100 then 400 then some like 600 followed by a primer coat, then wetsand of like 600 then another primer, wetsand that w/ like 1000 then base coat then wetsand with like 1000 ir 1200 then a bunch of clear coat.

what should i do...

maylar
03-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Sounds good except I wouldn't go any finer than 600 on primer or the paint might not stick too well. Make sure you wash all the dust off with solvent and a tack rag before base coat too. Good luck.

BoomCrew
03-04-2005, 06:35 PM
there is this stuff called icing u could use it is like a really thin bondo, u can get it at the local paint shop

req
03-04-2005, 07:10 PM
or you could buy a can of acetone for $3 and mix it with a bit of your $20 can of bondo that you most liekly only used half of. and get the job done for half the price.

why waste money :(