PDA

View Full Version : Clipping preout

tRiGgEr
03-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Is it possible to clip the signal of a preout on a head unit???

Scenario - Lets say the HU has a subwoofer level control. Will tuning this up clip the preout signal? Not the amp just the pre out.

squeak9798
03-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Yes, it is possible for the HU to send a clipped signal to the amp through the preout. Typically, most HU's clip around 75% of their max volume. Some can go up to around 90% or higher.

tRiGgEr
03-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Yes, it is possible for the HU to send a clipped signal to the amp through the preout. Typically, most HU's clip around 75% of their max volume. Some can go up to around 90% or higher.

So ideally you want to set your gains with the sub level already set. And not mess with the level later right.

squeak9798
03-03-2005, 12:29 PM
So ideally you want to set your gains with the sub level already set. And not mess with the level later right.

Yes, you pretty much want everything set where you want it before you set the gains.

tRiGgEr
03-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Cool. I'll only use it to lower the bass then. Thanks.

BassAddictJ
10-11-2006, 05:39 AM
so im looking to go and test where my HU clips at without an o-scope. im thinking of measureing the preouts and gradually increase the volume unti i the increse stops doing it's logrythmic(sp?) thing and the voltage increse becomes less per given amount of volume i increase.

would this be a good way to find where it clips at. also what kind of of tone for the highs and what kind of tone for the lows should i use to test. i was thinking 60Hz for the sub, and 1kHz for the highs. im assuming i should do this with a 0dB tone...anything i miss??

old thread i know.....but id rather bring this back then start another one and get flamed for not searching, lol

thatkidbob
10-11-2006, 05:49 AM
usually 50 for lows and 1khz for highs.

edit: no, clipping starts when the far ends of waveforms get squared off as they hit the rail.

edit: my bad, for some reason i thought you said WITH an o-scope lol... that might be a decent way to see clipping, although i'd just as soon default to 75% or even 50%, and set everything to max out there. You'll have fewer increments between complete silence and deafening loudness, but you can be almost assured that there will be little if any clipping coming from your HU.

BassAddictJ
10-11-2006, 07:11 AM
i think ill set my sub preout all the way up (+6)...put the HU up like 70%, then tune from there....where can i find some 0dB tones? (are the ones listed in the sticky ont his forum @ 0dB?)

Etac
10-11-2006, 10:47 PM
according to my alpines specs are listed on the website as

pre out voltage: 2 volts (before clipping)

i used a dmm to measure the voltage and it stays less than 2 volts until level 33 (32 being the last clean cutoff) out of 35

and after doing some testing - up to 32 sounds clean to me... but def begins to clip after that

Big Dee
10-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Just going off what I hear, my Eclipse deck clips at around 70 on a 0-80 scale. So I set it to 60 to be safe and then adjusted gains.