PDA

View Full Version : i-Pod/ handheld music players and HU's?

c_hayhurst
03-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Is the mobile audio industry going to be creating the opportunity for people to connect their i-Pod (I don't care what you say, Apple *****!! :fart: ) or other handheld audio devices?

This seems like the next logical step for the industry. I've researched the Kenwood MusicKeg, but that is waaaaay too expensive and limited in what you can do with it in terms of mobility.

God, I can't wait for the next music format to be developed. CD's are records read with lasers. And I hate records. Grr...

Any insight into what the industry is doing about this?

nosaj070
03-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Alpine released one in september for the ipod, another company made one even before that, just didn't get enough publicity.

jujumantb
03-02-2005, 06:43 PM
cds are nothing like records other than they both are circular and spin... analog vs digital.

Anyways, there lots of ways to hook up portable mp3 players to decks, Alpine has one that actually interfaces with an ipod, most companies have aux inputs on their decks...

c_hayhurst
03-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks! :)

c_hayhurst
03-02-2005, 06:50 PM
cds are nothing like records other than they both are circular and spin... analog vs digital.

Anyways, there lots of ways to hook up portable mp3 players to decks, Alpine has one that actually interfaces with an ipod, most companies have aux inputs on their decks...

1. The use and operation of CD's and records are the same. As in, someting contacts the surface of the disk, and translates that into sound.
2. Because the data is exposed, both are easily corrutible.
3. Therefore, both are easy to break and more of a pain in the A$$ than anything else, in my not-so-humble opinion ;)
4. What do you mean by auxillary input? Can you use your RCA inputs for an i-Pod? Or do you mean something other than RCA's?
5. Are other handheld media players capable of this?

Thanks for the help!

kalina
03-06-2005, 08:09 AM
You can get a mini stereo to RCA adapter that will allow you to plug the i-Pod into the AUX input of the head unit. Other mp3 players will work the same way as long as they have a headphone jack. Many stores that stock AV cables will carry these. More companies are going to release products to integrate the i-Pod with their head units. Probably nothing for other mp3 players due to the i-Pods massive market share.

c_hayhurst
03-06-2005, 10:01 AM
screw all that. Kenwood wants to charge me either $50 or $120 for a cable to go into my Kenwood headunit. I can get a cassette adapter for 20 bucks. Yay!

Another piece of good news for Kenwood HU owners:
If you call Kenwood, they will mail you a FREE set of removal keys. This is good since they have different keys for each model head unit.

A friend of mine said: "If it's free, take it. Even if you don't need it, take it."

;)