PDA

View Full Version : anybody got amped 6x9's or 6.5s in their rear deck?

g30ffr3y
03-02-2005, 03:24 PM
like the subject says...

does anyone actually have amped 6x9's or 6.5's
mounted in their rear deck? i know theres going to
be a lot of people who say this is a bad idea, but for
anyone who has actually tried it.

how much of an improvement does it make? specifically
in the midbass area.

thanks.

ive tried to cut down on my triple dots for you
guys...

3.5Max6spd
03-02-2005, 03:32 PM
will get louder...with more mids come more highs as well

g30ffr3y
03-02-2005, 03:35 PM
but not if i cross them into the midbass range
50-150hz or so...

even if some of highs and lows got through i dont
see anything wrong with MORE SOUND?!?!?!

am i crazy? well i am... but regarding this in particular...

DFW40
03-02-2005, 03:47 PM
It will help with midbass but it will screw up your imaging.

squeak9798
03-02-2005, 03:49 PM
It will help with midbass but it will screw up your imaging.

:word: Not worth the trade-off IMHO.

BOOKER
03-02-2005, 05:05 PM
I used to until I try disconnecting them and running my 4-channel amp into a 2-channel bridge for my front componentes, and I'm not turning back. :nono: :D

I will run them off my hu just to use them, since I already have them.

:peace:

g30ffr3y
03-02-2005, 05:06 PM
i understand the the proper audiophile imaging would be
screwed up a little, but there are also people here that
like the sounds from behind as it "seems" like a surround
sound type deal.

im not sure if i like it or not, but with my home theatre im
always turning up the rear speakers because i like that
extra surround kinda sound.

also... if i plan to cross this like a midbass and then added
proper comps later on wouldnt the system at that point
be really nice with sub, midbass, and good comps?

this is just a piece to the puzzle, not the be all and end
all of my car audio. i just think midbass is the next step
in my upgrade process.

so does anyone actually have anything like this in their setup?

would 6.5s be so much cleaner than 6x9s that it would
be worth it to get the 6.5s or would i be happier with the
6x9s and more power?

are there any "good" retail 6x9s???

maylar
03-02-2005, 05:51 PM
I have Infinity Reference 6X9's in my rear deck running off HU power. They're very nice for reasonable cost. But I wouldn't ever amp them. Midbass needs to come from up front. Rear fill should not be noticeable.

g30ffr3y
03-02-2005, 06:05 PM
I have Infinity Reference 6X9's in my rear deck running off HU power. They're very nice for reasonable cost. But I wouldn't ever amp them. Midbass needs to come from up front. Rear fill should not be noticeable.

did you get them before of after your comps?

did they add anything to the systems sound?

ashaman
03-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Hey man....I am in basically the same boat you are in. I have got a 2004 TL..which is basically the same as your accord, and am only giving my fronts 60 watts RMS, with no rear fill. I am more of a surround sound guy myself. IF I didn't like it, I could just fade it.

I am only using 2 channels of my 4 channel amp, so I feel like puttung 6x9's might help some, and I wouldnt be wasting half the amp. I would bridge the amp, but I don't know if RE RE comps can take 200 watts....lol.

maylar
03-03-2005, 09:57 AM
I had my 6X9's running off HU power before I got my comps. Only had the stock 3.5's in the dash for fronts which are lame to say the least. Sounded way better than stock tho. I bought a 4 ch amp, intending to add 5.25's in my doors (which I did) and amp those as well as the 6X9's. But I discovered that the system actually sounded better with the 6X9's not amped. I ended up using the other 2 channels for my subs. The way it is now, only the rear seat passengers can hear the 6X9's and that's how I like it.

If I didn't have subs it'd be a different story probably. The Reference 6X9's go pretty low for what they are.

UndercoverPunk
03-03-2005, 10:05 AM
I've had all the configurations you've said so far, and by far the best has been amped comps. Once I got my CDT and put them to the amp I realized that it was time for the 6X9's to come out.

Once you get a good frontstage you won't need the rear one anywhere as much.

ANeonRider
03-03-2005, 10:08 AM
rear speakers = the ****

hawk45
03-03-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm no expert but I like the sound from the back. I have 4 6x9's in a box with a cheap Bazooka 8" amped tube running on a Alpine HU... I think it sounds great!! I can't stand the sound of front speakers.... too thin. But that is just me and what I have become acustom to... Just sounds good to me out the back of my Blazer.

I have been thinking of adding an amp to my 6x9's but not sure if I want to or if it would be worth the $$

Hawk

UndercoverPunk
03-03-2005, 11:34 AM
I'm no expert but I like the sound from the back. I have 4 6x9's in a box with a cheap Bazooka 8" amped tube running on a Alpine HU... I think it sounds great!! I can't stand the sound of front speakers.... too thin. But that is just me and what I have become acustom to... Just sounds good to me out the back of my Blazer.

I have been thinking of adding an amp to my 6x9's but not sure if I want to or if it would be worth the $$

Hawk

Anywhere near Dayton, Cloumbus, or Cincinati? I am willing to meet you in any of the 3 cities listed to help you change your mind.

FOSGATE JOE
03-03-2005, 12:03 PM
well i got a pair of comps/ alpine/ in my doors at first the 4x8 where in there and it was ok my amp is a 320 a fosgate / well now i got my comps up and runing in the doors and the tweeter up front in my 240 sx and well for my 4x8 there in my room /alpine too/ comps !!! make a world of diffrent's

BOOKER
03-03-2005, 12:23 PM

Hawk
:slap: :waycrazy:

Echo42987
03-03-2005, 12:48 PM
well before I use to have Polk Momo co-axials in the front, back in the good old days, and now i have the comps. I also have those 6x9's in the rear and I have everything amped. It made a big difference from when they were just running off of the head unit power to the amplifiers power. More sound, bass, etc. I honestly heard a big difference in the rear fill. I also had the time correction with the alpine head unit which did make a nice difference as well. So I say I would choose them amped. Because the 6x9's I have run at about 100rms and they sound great doin' it