PDA

View Full Version : Mid Bass Question

DMBolt8
03-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Whats Up. I have been thinking about getting custom kickpanels for my jeep cherokee to fit these, MB Quart 5.25" (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-F9jdL5nIHPo/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=049PCE213) , and was wondering if it is a good idea to put mid bass drivers in my factory locations in my doors. The problem is that my factory locations can only fit a 5.25" driver. I have heard 0f many 6.5" mid bass drivers but dont think I have heard of 5.25". Another problem is i dont think have enough width in my doors for a mid bass driver. What are my options in doing this? Could you modify the doors to fit 6.5" or 5.25" mid bass drivers? Is this too big of a hassle? Also would it be a good idea to build kickpanels just for a mid bass driver and put the midrange in the factory door location and the tweeter mounted somewhere in the door as another option?
Thanks

squeak9798
03-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Could you modify the doors to fit 6.5" or 5.25" mid bass drivers?

Yes, many times all that is needed is a new mounting bracket to allow more space behind the speaker. Sometimes, there isn't enough room. It really depends on the vehicle.

Another option is to build door pods that attach to the door panel.

Is this too big of a hassle?

Not for good sound :up2somet:

Also would it be a good idea to build kickpanels just for a mid bass driver and put the midrange in the factory door location and the tweeter mounted somewhere in the door as another option?

Well, the comp set you linked to is only a 2-way set; 1 mid and 1 tweeter on each side. There are no separate midrange and midbass drivers. Though, in situations like that with 3-way comp sets, the best option is to put the midrange and tweeter in kickpanels and the midbass in the doors.

Nikuk
03-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Well, the comp set you linked to is only a 2-way set; 1 mid and 1 tweeter on each side. There are no separate midrange and midbass drivers. Though, in situations like that with 3-way comp sets, the best option is to put the midrange and tweeter in kickpanels and the midbass in the doors.

I'd agree. Reason being that you want the midbass (as applicable) in the door. Ideally you want the mid range & tweets pointing at the listeners for time / phase reasonings.

DMBolt8
03-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Even if I buy a 2-way comp set I can still get a seperate mid bass of another brand right? Or is it best just to buy a 3-way comp set itself? What i am sayin is if i buy that mb quart 2-way set i can still buy say for example the xxx mids later on?

squeak9798
03-02-2005, 05:34 PM
You can, but the problem arises of how to bandpass the added midbass. Typically, IMHO, it's better to just buy a 3-way set.

elduderino
03-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Consider the DLS 3-way kit with the 5.25 midbass, the 3" dome mid, and the 1" dome tweet.