PDA

View Full Version : 2 8s in .37 cu ft?

2wheeler
03-01-2005, 03:36 PM
I am trying to put some subs into my compact truck. I have a space that will allow a box of about .37 cu ft including bracing and driver displacement. I am looking at RFs punch stage 1 P18S4 drivers, min sealed enclosure volume of .15 cu ft. Amp will probably be a RF P3002, 75w per channel at 4 ohms. What can I do to maximize sq in this small enclosure? Does polyfill really help much? Should I seperate the box into 2 spaces, or let the drives share a common enclosure? I know this is a kiddie system to many of you, but its all that will fit into my space (and budget) so any help will be greatly appreciated.

2wheeler
03-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Bump it up with emphasis on the question, shared space or divided space.

HAVINGFUN
03-02-2005, 11:44 AM
You can share the space with no problem and yes polyfill will help a bit. Try to find subs that will work well in a tiny enclosure....

tRiGgEr
03-02-2005, 11:45 AM
You can share the space with no problem and yes polyfill will help a bit. Try to find subs that will work well in a tiny enclosure....

X2. But what kind of truck do you have???

HAVINGFUN
03-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Also remeber that you might be better off going with a single more powerful 8 inch sub that has some good output.

2wheeler
03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Its a Toyota Tacoma double cab. Work/Family truck and I need to keep some of the space behind the back seat for jumper cable, jack, first aid kit etc. The punch subs Im looking at list a min. enclosure of .15 cu ft. Will this tiny box make more power needed for good output?

HAVINGFUN
03-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Its a Toyota Tacoma double cab. Work/Family truck and I need to keep some of the space behind the back seat for jumper cable, jack, first aid kit etc. The punch subs Im looking at list a min. enclosure of .15 cu ft. Will this tiny box make more power needed for good output?

I did not understand you last sentence

gr3nade
03-02-2005, 02:50 PM
I think he means, that since the box is so small, is he going to need a lot more power just to get decent output.

HAVINGFUN
03-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Okay.
It all depends on the sub(s) that you choose. If you could fit 2 re 8's with some polyfill you would be set IMO. SQ sealed recommended volume is .21 per 8 inch sub.

http://reaudio.com/flash_index.html

HAVINGFUN
03-02-2005, 03:07 PM
also

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wBCLZrT311J/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=182750&id=detailed_info&i=044CTTX281

http://jlaudio.com/stealthbox/tundra.html

2wheeler
03-02-2005, 04:45 PM
gr3nade got it right, I was asking if the really small enclosure will kill my efficiency. And thanks for the links but I have a tacoma, not a tundra. The space behind the seats is tiny, 4 1/2" deep at the top, 6 1/2 at the bottom, 9 1/2 tall. I can give up about 22" of storage, when I figured an enclosure for that space I came up with .37 cu ft. after subtracting for driver volume and bracing. 1/2 mdf sides and front, fiberglass back for the extra 1/4" of depth it would give me. Probably a couple of layers of glass on the rest of the box for added strength. Is there any advantage to dividing or not dividing the enclosure? Shared volume will be a little easier to build, but not much. Poly fill for sure if it helps at all. That RE 8 site didnt list a depth that I could find, but it looked deeper than the 4 1/4" (or less) that I can fit. Thanks though, I really appreciate the help.

tRiGgEr
03-02-2005, 04:48 PM
No bracing will be needed. No glass will be needed. Were talking about one or two 8" subs with like what 200-300 watts of power. Trust me.

As long as you don't expect those fosgates to get uber loud they will be fine. All you will be adding is a "little" thump to kinda blend with the rest of your system.

2wheeler
03-02-2005, 05:04 PM
A little thump is all Im looking for, the 5x7s in the doors are a little thin sounding. The glass idea is mostly for the back, giving increased depth and volume. I wont brace if I dont need to. I have a habit of overbuilding everything so your advice is really helpful. Thx

Bill W
03-03-2005, 11:51 AM
I have 2 of those subs in my jeep and they do not sound bad. They are not going to win any spl contest but that is not what I was after, they do provide a nice thump in the music and can be felt riding down the road with the top off. I built the enclosure to .27^ft each sub because even though you can do .15 in the manual for a sealed enclosure they really recomend .25 and the sub will displace .02. I would build so each sub has its own chamber, also if you could pick up a little stronger amp it would do you well. I am running mine offa Kenwood 7201 which I picked up refurbished for $100 and it runs right at the max RMS of the subs 150rms @4ohms.

req
03-03-2005, 12:15 PM
are you the one who wanted to put that 10" in the armrest eairler?

if it were me (wich it isnt) id glass them under the dashboard in the center there. :)

2wheeler
03-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Req, not me trying for the armrest install. Bill W, I've been looking at the amp specs and think I'll go with the RF 3001 mono amp instead of the 3002. the 3001 puts out 300w at 2 ohms, two 4 ohm subs can have 150w each that way. Thanks for the report on those subs, its kinda hard to get info on the lower end stuff sometimes.