PDA

View Full Version : tuning dependant on sub?

noob with an RS
02-28-2005, 08:03 PM
hey, i was wondering if ported boxes are tuned to a certain frequency DEPENDING ON THE DRIVER or on a personal preference. for example, if someone liked how a 12 inch idMAX sounded tuned to 30 hz.. would they most likely port all of their subs at 30 hz? like if they one day upgraded to an XXX, for example.. would they still tune it to 30 hz because that's their favorite frequency or whatever.. or would they most likely choose a different frequency to tune it with because of the way the sub is designed? (considering the installer is an experienced knowledgeable audiophile)

JimJ
02-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Well, if a driver has a very low Fs (like Ascendant Audio drivers, for example), tuning low is going to net you more gains in low frequency response, simply because of the design of the driver.

For vehicle musical applications, there isn't too much information below 25Hz, so anywhere from there to 30Hz would be my choice for an SQ-based system, up to 35-36Hz for one more tuned to rap/hip hop.

80INCHES
02-28-2005, 09:03 PM
wow..jack frost u are the man.....i've been saying the same thing ..and no one listens to me.....

i know my stuff...people just have to trust me like they trust jack frost

JimJ
02-28-2005, 09:23 PM
people just have to trust me like they trust jack frost

people trust me?

news to me...:D

80INCHES
02-28-2005, 09:27 PM
well ..what i mean is people respect u and your opinions....as far as me..i'm new and when i speak i guess people assume i dont know what i'm talking about...yes i do get corrected every now and then but i'll admit when i'm alittle off with my information but all in all...i know my shiit...

basicly folks on this forum respect u and it doesnt go unoticed

noob with an RS
02-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Well, if a driver has a very low Fs (like Ascendant Audio drivers, for example), tuning low is going to net you more gains in low frequency response, simply because of the design of the driver.

For vehicle musical applications, there isn't too much information below 25Hz, so anywhere from there to 30Hz would be my choice for an SQ-based system, up to 35-36Hz for one more tuned to rap/hip hop.

i'm sorry, i don't understand the part i marked BOLD. do u mean you would tune from 25Hz up to 30Hz, unless the driver were going to be used mostly for rap/hiphop?

swimfreak26
02-28-2005, 09:46 PM
A lot of rap music has bass frequencies in that range, and a tuning there will give increased response where it's important for rap/hip hop.