PDA

View Full Version : 4" Components/4x6 Coaxials...

BlazedGlory
02-27-2005, 06:35 PM
I recently picked up a 1990 Nissan 240sx. The car is pretty stripped out, for it is kind of a daily driven race car of sorts heh. Anyway, I initially didn't plan on putting any sort of stereo in there because I didn't want to add extra weight, but the factory 15 year old clarion 4x6 coaxials in the doors just are not cutting it at all. Especially after coming from a completely custom stereo in my other car. So my plan is to do a small build with either some 4" components or 4x6" coaxials (and maybe a single 12" subwoofer). I will get an amp for them, but I don't want something that is going to draw an assload of current.

So I come to you asking for suggestions. I would like to have some midbass, so perhaps I could get a pair of midbass drivers and do kickpanels or something (because I'm pretty sure I won't get much out of a 4" midrange). I don't want something rediculously nice, for this car is loud and uninsulated, but I do want something that will make me enjoy listening to music while I'm driving again.

Thanks for your help...

flakko
02-27-2005, 06:54 PM
if yer gonna make kick pannels, y not just do a 6.5" comp set in the kicks... it wont be too fancy ya know... or get some 4" midrange drivers, and have a 3 way set, but thats kinda fancy.

BlazedGlory
02-27-2005, 07:00 PM
well to be honest I'd rather not do kickpanels unless absolutely necessary to get even decent sound. I've never actually heard 4" components to be honest, but I just assumed that they would have next to no midbass... am I incorrect?

flakko
02-27-2005, 07:06 PM
yaya ZERO midbass... i got 3.5"s in the front and 4"s in my rear deck... no bass whatsoever... i have to crossover my sub really high to take care of it. My system probly has hte worst imaging in the world.

Where are your speaks located?

BlazedGlory
02-27-2005, 07:09 PM
They are located in the door panel. The rears are gone, and will not be replaced. I will only have front speakers and a single sub...

flakko
02-27-2005, 07:16 PM
ya willin to cut the doors a lil to make them fit some 6.5"s?? cuz the simplest way to go is make it fit 6.5"s and put some nice coaxes in there that is if you want a lil midbass in your car, thats my opinion though

BlazedGlory
02-27-2005, 07:24 PM
I'm not opposed to cutting the car. Hell, its 15 years old and looks like ***. It's a hella sleeper - what's under the hood is all the really matters to me with the engine swap and all =P. I'll have to get in there and make sure I have enough depth (or should I assume that some 6.5s will be similar depth?). What I will not do though is add any sort of sound deadening, so the speakers will have to be able to operate in a crappy door/freeair setup...

flakko
02-27-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm not opposed to cutting the car. Hell, its 15 years old and looks like ***. It's a hella sleeper - what's under the hood is all the really matters to me with the engine swap and all =P. I'll have to get in there and make sure I have enough depth (or should I assume that some 6.5s will be similar depth?). What I will not do though is add any sort of sound deadening, so the speakers will have to be able to operate in a crappy door/freeair setup...

ehh go head and cut that mother up :D im not stoppin ya!! umm make sure u have enough depth before you pick the speaker. Y wont you put sound deadening in your doors?? if your concerned about weigt, its only like 4 lbs at MOST on each door soo I doubt it will harm the performance of your car. And be sure u make some MDF mounting rings to stop that resonation.

edit: dont only take my advice though!!! Im still learning too.