PDA

View Full Version : Home Audio Terms Defined

PV Audio
02-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Let's start a home audio terms thread like the car audio terms. This should be things that really only pertain to home, not things found in the car audio one. dunno where to start, someone else begin :D

JimJ
02-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Well, a lot of things cross over :)

johnecon2001
02-27-2005, 04:22 PM
LFE, 7.1, 6.1, Dolby DTS, Dolby Digital, Optical audio, Coaxial audio, Second zone, Mono, stereo, Virtual surround, Time align, component video, composite video, s-video, RGBHV, IR repeater, volume control... I could go on and on.

JimJ
02-27-2005, 04:28 PM
MTM's, D'Appolito's, Xover orders, T-lines and folded horns, bi-wiring...etc...

req
02-27-2005, 04:42 PM
care to elaborate with DEFINITIONS? :(

JimJ
02-27-2005, 04:51 PM
LFE - low frequency effects. Usually recorded for movies on a seperate track, and played back as the ".1" channel in home theater.

7.1 - two mains, two rears, center, subwoofer and two side surrounds.

6.1 - two mains, two rears, front and rear center channel, and a sub.

MTM - "mid-tweet-mid", dual mids with a tweet in the middle.

D'Appolito - the guy who pioneered that design. Sometimes they're referred to as a "D'Appolito configuration"

i'm lazy, i generally don't like these kind of threads because all these questions can be googled :)

PV Audio
02-27-2005, 05:00 PM
heh ima bi-wire my advent towers. or should i bi amp instead........

johnecon2001
02-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Dolby DTS - surround sound encoder/decoder
Dolby Digital - better surround sound encoder/decoder
Optical audio - carries up to 8 channels of digital audio. Commonly called ADAT or Lightpipe
Coaxial Audio - another form of digital audio, not as clean or efficient as Optical
Second Zone - the extra channels off of a 6.1 or 7.1 reciever. Only available on some models. Different signals can be sent to second zone while other main zone is playing something else.
Mono - one signal
Stereo - two signals
Virtual Surround - surround sound remixed from a stereo source. Not a true Surround sound hence the term "virtual"
Time Align - the tool used to properly image all of your speakers to your preferred listening zone
Component video - Red Green Blue, three different video signals, makes a clearer picture
Compostie Video - one cable for all signals. Lowest quality available next to RF
S-Video - Higher quality video inbetween composite and component, sends colors and sync down different pins
RGBHV - Computer video, highest quality. Red Green Blue, Horizontal and Vertical Sync.