PDA

View Full Version : my active sub just gave out

soundstreamer
02-25-2005, 01:30 AM
i was just watching forest gump and noticed my powered sub turned on about 10mins or so into the movie. i figured there wasn't much lfe so it took awhile for it to come out of stand-by(it's done it before). then, about half way through the movie it burped for no reason and quit. i popped in monsters inc to run the thx optimizer, and sure enough, no sub channel. :( btw it's a sony sa-wm40 that i picked up at sears for ~$150.
first thing tomorrow i'm going to run to sears and see if i bought a warranty(which i'm sure i didn't), then i'm going to tinker with it to see if i can get it going again. should it not start working after i electricute myself, i will be in the market for a new sub. anyone have some cost effective suggestion that i might want to look into? i have a couple re12s coming that i just bought for no reason. they are dual 4-ohm so i could wire one to 8ohms. think i should just look into amplification for that or for another powered sub? i'm open to any and all suggestions. thanks

JimJ
02-25-2005, 01:45 AM
The best value for pre-built subs on the market either are the Hsu VTF series of downfiring woofers, or the Adire Rava.

Homebrew, you can probably do much better for prices (since you can build the cabinet yourself).

JimJ
02-25-2005, 03:23 AM
since you've got two RE12's coming in, you could always get a cheap plate amp or rackmount amp for them...and I happen to have a 28Hz tuned ported enclosure for two twelves in my basement :D :D wink wink, nudge nudge...:)

soundstreamer
02-25-2005, 10:06 AM
thanks for the ideas. i just looked at parts express for some sub amps and they are well within my budget. ima go see if the local best buy carries anything like that. i will have to decline your offer for the dual 12" enclosure because s&h will prolly cost more than building one of my own. thanks for the offer though. sorry i couldn't make more storage room in your basement.

PV Audio
02-27-2005, 04:15 PM
DUDE i just bought a mtx sw2 sub, and i'll sell u my sony sa-wm500 (12'') for 100 shipped

m3rK201
02-27-2005, 05:49 PM
i had plate amp before i bought my audio source and for sum reason one day i got bored and thought to my self.."i wonder how that plate amp will play with my audio source " Let me tell you,it made diffrence. It playd louder and hit lower and stays cooler then the stock amp. What im trying to you might hear an improvement mite be worth it..

93 saturn sl2
02-27-2005, 07:09 PM
hey man ive got the same active sub that you have. ive had problems with them too but not like yours with my old reciever when i would turn it off the sub would start to hum. but since i got my new yamaha its been fine.