PDA

View Full Version : Glassing

mykeys
02-25-2005, 01:43 AM
I am doing a FG mold of the wifes Neon, and want to know how many layers or how thick to go b4 removing to finish the build? I started yesterday so am nowhere near ready yet since I only have 1 1/2 hours of daylight after work b4 I wrap it up for the night. I expect to have the first layer completed Saturday but nothing is set in stone when your married.. I will try to get some pics but progress is more important than pics for now.

Mike

ANeonRider
02-25-2005, 01:45 AM
2 or 3 layers is good.

nosaj070
02-25-2005, 01:48 AM
You really only need to do 1 layer in car, 2 or 3 may be best, but in car the only point is to get the shape of the car, it won't be strong at all, but then you reinforce it with mat and what not. After like 5 or 6 layers it should be plenty strong, but the more the better.

mykeys
02-25-2005, 01:56 AM
Thanks.. I think I can suffer through another layer or two for alittle piece of mind.

iamamp3pimp
02-25-2005, 05:30 AM
what u woeking on in the neon???
i have a neon
lol
peace

mykeys
02-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Working on a sealed enclosure on the left side of the spare tire well.. Wifey wants some trunk space after she gets her goodies.. unfortunately She wont let me get rid of the Audiobahn sub to upgrade.. oh well it's her i don't ave to listen to it.. BTW lots of little corners and angles in the 03 Neon so if you try it take your time.

Mike

req
02-25-2005, 09:30 AM
1 or 2 is fine if your resin is set up well.

to be honest, its eaiser to take out with less layers because you can shuv your hand behind the enclosure if it dosnt want to come out ;)

but make SURE before you keep putting on more and more layers, you sand down any bumps or anything - so when you lay down your glass, there are no air pockets... its such a pain in the ***. it will take 5 minutes with a dremel to do this - but its REALLY worth it.

mykeys
02-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Cool I'll keep that in mind. I have been itching to play with my other goodies I bought for the rotary tool.

ndnbolla
02-26-2005, 02:05 AM
sry to hijack thread but do you do cloth layer 1st?.. or can all layers be mat?...

also after the 2-3 layers and you take it out, how many more layers should go on and are these layers goin to be mat, or cloth?

mykeys
02-26-2005, 10:57 AM
You can do all cloth or all mat or a combination of both. I believe cloth will end up being stronger but mat definately is easier to apply on the contours of the trunk. I think most of the guys who do this are using around 7 layers. but the general rule is if you can stand on it it is strong enough.

Mike

robbie_turner
02-27-2005, 08:48 PM
I am doing a FG mold of the wifes Neon, and want to know how many layers or how thick to go b4 removing to finish the build? I started yesterday so am nowhere near ready yet since I only have 1 1/2 hours of daylight after work b4 I wrap it up for the night. I expect to have the first layer completed Saturday but nothing is set in stone when your married.. I will try to get some pics but progress is more important than pics for now.

Mike
don't get any resin on it she will kill you lol

ANeonRider
02-27-2005, 08:50 PM
I believe matte is stronger than cloth, I like using it much more.

bcarpenterfhl
02-27-2005, 09:08 PM
yea, i think cloth is good if your using it as a final layer and your not finishing your project with anything. the weave looks a lot better IMO.

req
02-28-2005, 12:09 AM
You can do all cloth or all mat or a combination of both. I believe cloth will end up being stronger but mat definately is easier to apply on the contours of the trunk. I think most of the guys who do this are using around 7 layers. but the general rule is if you can stand on it it is strong enough.

Mike

on the contrairy, i beleive you have that backward.

this is FG cloth - looks to be between 3oz and 5oz weight - quite lightweight stuff, GREAT for trunk contours, and will be applied like butter. not very messy;
http://www.delviesplastics.com/fiberg12.jpg

this is fiberglass MATT, looks to be about 5~10oz weight. about what id like to use on a a box. between 8oz and 15oz seems to be my favoirte. not too heavy and not too light, but id RATHER use cloth instead of mate, its MUCH more easier to work with.
http://www.legnosboat.com/catalogimages/3050.JPG

cloth is woven, so it will bend in more directions (from my expierence)
matte is extrmely gay because all the fibers get pulled up and stuck in your brush. :mad:

bcarpenterfhl
02-28-2005, 12:19 AM
but which costs more?

BiaBia
02-28-2005, 02:48 AM
They cost the same really. I find mat to be easier to work with because you can pull it apart. If you try to pull the cloth apart... well, you can't. You have to precut and do everything beforehand with cloth, I like to do it all as I go along because my mind changes a lot :)

req
02-28-2005, 09:22 AM
well, usually you have to work with small pieces anyway. and ive never had a problem using a 4" square piece of cloth. cuz you gotta pre-cut matte anyway.

resin just permiates the cloth faster and smoother with less pieces comming off, and its espically nice on the front of the box where you need to sand because it goes on so much smoother.

ive found that cloth is much quicker (because of less mess)

but try both and see what you like. IMO - its personal prefrence really.

bcarpenterfhl
02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
hey req, is that roll of cloth you got off ebay for like $50 equal in quality to what i would get at TAP plastics?

bcarpenterfhl
02-28-2005, 03:45 PM
ok i just talked to my neighbor who is an expert with anything having to do with building (he's currently building his own house next door), and he says that mat is stronger, but the woven cloth will be a much cleaner finish, free from raised strands and air bubbles. so what i would suggest is when you make the mold in your car, have the first layer be the cloth (it will be the outer most layer). with anything else, have the mat be your first layer sand down anything big, then finish with the cloth. using one or two more layers of cloth than what you would normally do with matt should be just as good. just my 2.

Bigrick31
02-28-2005, 03:55 PM
i like matt better because you can work with bigger peices and it soaks up faster because it thinner. also i was tought to use fiberglass with the cloth first so it just seems natural. although i have a firend who does body work and he prefers the cloth