PDA

View Full Version : home theater recievers

Jasper
02-24-2005, 10:40 PM
so what IS everyone using for a reciever in their home audio setup? i'm in the process of building myself a full set of speaker towers (planning on setting up for 6.1 surround) with bits and pieces from PartsExpress (still debating between Vifa, ScanSpeak or Morel for the actual drivers)...and i need an idea for a reciever.

theres a new Denon out that does like 75x6 + 100x1 (sub)...cant find the model # anywhere, but im sure i remember reading about it

any other ideas?

JimJ
02-24-2005, 11:40 PM
My recommendation? Go seperate components :D

tuner + good preamp + power amplifiers + 6.1 processor :)

For drivers, Scanspeak would get my choice out of those three you mentioned.

93 saturn sl2
02-24-2005, 11:46 PM
ive got a yamaha HTR-5660
its pretty nice and it sounds awesome look at the post "had to be the first or something like that" theres a pic of it on there has all kinds of imputs composite,s-video,component,coxaial,and optical

nosaj070
02-24-2005, 11:50 PM
What sort of budget do you have? Do you need HDMI switching?

Jasper
02-25-2005, 01:13 PM
^^ i dont know nearly as much about home audio as i do about car audio, so i'm not 100% sure what i'd need.

i'd like to keep it (mostly) DIY (im a project nut, i LOVE building things)...budget is so so, i'd like to stay under $1000 for a reciever/cd player (although im guessing a good reciever is gonna cost me like $800ish), i'd like to get a reciever that i can tie into a TV (i have a ****** old RCA now, but im getting a 42" plasma from a buddy of mine soon), something with optical inputs and s-video inputs (gotta have the 6.1 surround on the PS2/xbox)...umm, aside from that, i dont know.

as far as going all seperate, i might. it depends on cost. if i could find a good tuner that'll do all the inputs and outputs i want, and just not put out any power, i could just buy some decent blade-style amps that'd mount to the back of the enclosures i'm building...i was planning on doing that with the subwoofer anyways

nosaj070
02-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Look into some HK's around the price range, or some Sony ES series. There really are endless options, i'd suggest going to www.hometheaterforum.com theres some guys on there that would have some good reciever options and reviews.

paikiah
02-25-2005, 11:57 PM
I don't believe in having a surround system to listen to music at all. I don't watch that many movies at home, I go to the cinema.

But you have touched on an interesting topic which I might think about, regarding the PS2. Since I really enjoy playing it a lot, a surround sound system might just be what the doctor ordered. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... It'd be great to hear the cars I'm overtaking in GT4 to really be at the left and right of me, and not coming from the front.

Maybe this is the time to try the 3" aura drivers.

slick316
02-27-2005, 01:48 AM
I don't believe in having a surround system to listen to music at all. I don't watch that many movies at home, I go to the cinema.

But you have touched on an interesting topic which I might think about, regarding the PS2. Since I really enjoy playing it a lot, a surround sound system might just be what the doctor ordered. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... It'd be great to hear the cars I'm overtaking in GT4 to really be at the left and right of me, and not coming from the front.

Maybe this is the time to try the 3" aura drivers.

gotta remember though, most PS2 games at best do dolby pro logic II, taking a 2 channel signal and upconverting it to 5.1. depending on the game, it may or may not sound right, and in GT4's case, doesnt sound right.

paikiah
02-27-2005, 08:05 AM
gotta remember though, most PS2 games at best do dolby pro logic II, taking a 2 channel signal and upconverting it to 5.1. depending on the game, it may or may not sound right, and in GT4's case, doesnt sound right.
In that case, how about MGS2? I'm sure that was made for the surround to be beneficial to the player? (such as footsteps, etc?)

PV Audio
02-27-2005, 10:20 AM
kennwood vr707

100x6

Diplexers
03-01-2005, 02:28 AM
I have two:
Onkyo Pro logic for my room.

Pioneer DTS for the front room. You're gonna love this. I found it next to the garbage bin in my apartments. I opened it up an it looked like a component was grounding to the case. I moved it and it works fine now.