PDA

View Full Version : ported fiberglass box.

derek33
02-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Ive always like the looks and functionability of a fiberglass box. but since i decided to buy some comps i am forced to buy a weaker sub (atlas with 400 watts instead of avalanche with 1200 watts) so ported is almost manditory to get the bass im looking for.

i was hoping to fiberglass a box onto the wheel well of my jeep, so its flush against the right side of my car. (cant do with a mdf box because of shape) So i was thinking of have an entirely fiberglass box, or fiberglass the base, and have the other flat sides mdf. doesnt seem too hard that way cause then i dont have to worry about the appearence of the fiberglass (wont be seen) and i dont have to worry about making the mdf rings for the sub.

I read that a pretty effecient way of porting a fiberglass box is to put packing penuts in it. but then what do i do to find volume? put the penuts in a square box then measure that?
I also found this port that would help me out too. http://www.subzoneusa.com/snake_tube.htm what do you think about those?

thanks for your help. all comments, suggestions, and tips are welcome.

80INCHES
02-24-2005, 12:32 PM
looks to me like they took a page out of the old jl audio book.......the last time i seen those snake tube ports jlaudio was the first to come out with that and that was when the w2 was on and poppin

ami telling my age..lol

derek33
02-24-2005, 12:42 PM
does it work well?

how do you attach the fiberglass base to the mdf just the regular screws after i pre drill?

Buckshot
02-24-2005, 04:03 PM
does it work well?

how do you attach the fiberglass base to the mdf just the regular screws after i pre drill?

No. You would make the fiberglass mold of the back wall, and IF POSSIBLE put your base in there when you make the mold. Glass the bass to rest of the box. If you don't get that I will explain better later.

req
02-24-2005, 04:09 PM
http://www.r3q.net/10box.html

like that. but instead of making a slot port, just attach your tubluar port in there wherever it works best.