PDA

View Full Version : Porting kicks???

flakko
02-24-2005, 12:37 AM
Umm i was reading i tink in an elitecaraudio.com tutorial and it said something about porting kicks. All the dude did was drill a hole in the back of his kick. Does that help the performance of the midbass at all?? Never seen that done before. Any insight on how this works?? :confused: :confused:

here it is:

"I usually drill out a small hole in the bottom corner to run the wires into the kicks, and also use a 2-3" hole saw directly beneath the midrange to allow the mid to "vent" into the carpet. This gives it much improved midbass performance and a less-constricted, non-resonant sound..."

http://www.elitecaraudio.com/install_clinic/Kick_Panels/images/index2.php

ANeonRider
02-24-2005, 01:18 AM
I wouldn't do it... no logic applies.

aphinney
02-24-2005, 01:30 AM
i wouldn't do it ^^^^

Mizah Mar
02-24-2005, 01:51 AM
the way i see it is that its kinda like a resistively dampened enclosure. its worth a try. can always plug it up later if you dont like the results.

ANeonRider
02-24-2005, 01:58 AM
Or just a hole in the box... if you need some dampening, polyfill works.

Mizah Mar
02-24-2005, 02:13 AM
when you put a hole in an enclosure, it becomes a port. in this case a high tuned port, that is resistively dampened into the carpet. adding polyfill in a sealed enclosure just lowers qtc, as in simulating the effect of a larger enclosure.

flakko
02-24-2005, 02:16 AM
wait but im still confused does the "hole" have any positive effects on the enclosure?? Im getting mixed signals here

Mizah Mar
02-24-2005, 02:51 AM
it'll reduce the maximum impedance at the box resonance, kinda like the scan speak aperiodic vents. that being a "positive" depends on your application and design goals.

BASS OUTLAW
02-24-2005, 09:07 AM
will give better mid bass response
because thats also done to some home stereo mid-speakers