PDA

View Full Version : So I totaled my car....

MrBill2U
02-23-2005, 04:58 PM
I totaled my car and am now looking to install the system in another. I was able to save 2xJL 300/2 amps, one JL 500/1, my H/U and my JL 12w6v2. I was running DA s600s comps up front (hated the tweets and had a set of Peerless 1 inch silks mounted up front instead). I want to use my 300/2's to biamp a set of 6.5 inch comps up front. I have seen lots of people posting lots of random stuff out here on different comps. Unfortunately I live in po-dung Ohio and can not compare a pair CDTs vs DLS Iridiums vs Focal Utopias. Talk amongst yourselves once more on the merits/differences of 6.5 inch comps. I would like to buy this week and I have no brand loyalty when it comes to car speakers.

I am honestly thinking about just buying a set of B&W bookshelf speakers and ripping the drivers out of them to put in my car. I am a SQ kind of guy who listens to a range of music from classical to country (I was listening to Powerman 5000 when I hit that telephone pole).

MrBill2U
02-25-2005, 11:47 AM
I hate replying to myself, but I figured I would toss out an update. I have decided I will either go with the MBQuart QSD 216s or the CDT ES-620s. I have the QSDs and am waiting on the CDTs (thanks djdilliodon). I will let you know what my ears think of the two and which I end up leaving in my car.

cheers

tRiGgEr
02-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Whats there to say???

There is no question. All that equipment should sound good...

MrBill2U
02-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Another question...

With the equipment I have how would you wire the comps?

a) bi-amp the comps throught their crossovers
b) use the 300/2 crossover and passthrough
c) use crossover in my H/U
d) give one of the amps to my lil brother and just feed them 150 watts per side

Seems like a terrible waste of power to use the manufacturers passive crossovers to biamp :/

tRiGgEr
02-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Another question...

With the equipment I have how would you wire the comps?

a) bi-amp the comps throught their crossovers
b) use the 300/2 crossover and passthrough
c) use crossover in my H/U
d) give one of the amps to my lil brother and just feed them 150 watts per side

Seems like a terrible waste of power to use the manufacturers passive crossovers to biamp :/

I would run the comps through there own crossover and amp them. They were built for each other and relying on your amp or HU to act as your sole crossover would be a waste of the equipment.

MrBill2U
02-25-2005, 02:54 PM
...and seeing those Vishay Dale resistors in the crossover for the QSD 216s just screams "use me!!!". This is the first set of comps I have seen with such high end name components used to build their crossovers.