PDA

View Full Version : Polk Components

DMBolt8
02-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Anybody ever have any experience with these,Polk Components (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PB4KdbtFNVv/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=107MMC5250) ,? I want to upgrade my current co-axils with these and was wonderin. There really isnt any shops by here so i am goin to order off the net most likely(but not crutchfield, too expensive, i just like looking around on there because they list products that can fit your car for sure). Im goin to bridge my current amp which would give out 100x2 which is the exact rms rating of these. Given that i put the woofer in the factory door location and have the tweeter installed nearby somewhere, do u guys think this would be pretty big upgrade from my current set up. And o yeah i wont be using rear fill for a while since i am bridging my amp.
Thanks

DJ Jester
02-22-2005, 10:04 PM
I have the Polk MOMO MM6 6 3/4 components in my rear doors.

they sound great if you put enough power to them. Mine have about 100 watts going to them, also. The 6 3/4" have nice midbass. I'm not sure about the 5 1/4" The 1" silk tweets have nice, smooth highs that definitely aren't too bright like metal tweets. They have a good overall sound. You pay extra for the **** MOMO name, tho. These aren't even close to $350 speakers. However, they do help round out the sound of my system quite well, and they balance the MBQuarts I have up front.

Overall, I like them. I have the tweets at -6db so that they don't mess up my front stage too much, but they would sound decent as front speakers, too.

If you can get them for a good price, then I would go for them, but if you can find a better price on MB Quart or CDT, I would get those instead.

DMBolt8
02-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Okay thanks. But I have a question on crossover points now. Right now with my coaxils i would a high pass crossover set for 80hz on my amp for the speakers and a low pass filter set 80hz on the amp for the sub for my sub(when i get). With getting components i know i would be adding an external crossover, so with the low pass filter for my sub being set at 80 still, how would i set the crossover for the components since there is an external one? Would i still keep the crossever at 80 on the amp? Does the external crossover come before the amp or after it? I hope guys understand what im tryin to say.
thanks.

adam71
02-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Yes, I wold definitely say that would be a nice upgrade. Its good that you're bridging your amp because your current speakers have sensitivity of 92db and the Polks have a sensitivity of 89db so the extra power you're giving them should bring them up atleast as loud as what you have.

EricM
02-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Okay thanks. But I have a question on crossover points now. Right now with my coaxils i would a high pass crossover set for 80hz on my amp for the speakers and a low pass filter set 80hz on the amp for the sub for my sub(when i get). With getting components i know i would be adding an external crossover, so with the low pass filter for my sub being set at 80 still, how would i set the crossover for the components since there is an external one? Would i still keep the crossever at 80 on the amp? Does the external crossover come before the amp or after it?

After the amp. You're making it more complicated than it is. It just sends everything above the crossover point to the tweeter and everything below to the woofer. Leave the HPF on the amp where it's at (or use your HU's HPF) if you don't want the woofer playing anything below 80 Hz.

Echo42987
02-23-2005, 03:44 PM
I have the exact same pair!!!!!! They ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great midbass for only bein' 5 1/4 best I've heard