PDA

View Full Version : Strange Question about Components

DJ Jester
02-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Ok, this is an odd question and I'm going to try to phrase it so that it makes sense..

Lets say, I have a component set up front in my car. When I run the amp to that component set, the amp sees a load of 4 ohms, right.

So, are each of the speakers 4 Ohms and the crossover changes the total load to 4 Ohms, or are each of the speakers 2 Ohms ( Series ) or 8 Ohms ( Parallel ) and the inside of the crossover determines the wiring configuration.

The reason I ask is because I want to know what would happen if I added additional speakers wired into my current crossover.

My tweeter and woofer of my component can be driven seperately. So, if I run one channel into the woofer input and also into the tweeter input, but I have two tweeters wired in series coming out of the tweeter output, then I have a total load of 2.67, right

4 Ohms ( woofer ) + 8 Ohms ( tweeters ) = 2.67 Ohms total

Is this correct?

Hope that made sense?

Jester

232Stanger04
02-22-2005, 08:59 PM
eeew, i'm not sure but i dont think it works like that, but I could be wrong. Sorry, but free bump

jellyfish420
02-23-2005, 12:12 AM
both the woofer and tweet are each 4 ohm...it has nothing to do with the crossover...well it does kinda. below a certain freq the woofer plays and the amp sees 4 ohms from and above a certain freq the amp sees 4 ohm from the tweet...its kinda hard to explain. but i would only run one set of comps off of a single crossover. go get another crossover:)

DDDD
02-23-2005, 03:12 AM
It works like this.

http://portfolio.iu.edu/ajbush/impedances.gif

DDDD
02-23-2005, 03:17 AM
And subsequently if you change any of the above impedance values for a given crossover it will function absolutely horribly.

squeak9798
02-23-2005, 08:22 AM
The reason I ask is because I want to know what would happen if I added additional speakers wired into my current crossover.

My tweeter and woofer of my component can be driven seperately. So, if I run one channel into the woofer input and also into the tweeter input, but I have two tweeters wired in series coming out of the tweeter output, then I have a total load of 2.67, right

4 Ohms ( woofer ) + 8 Ohms ( tweeters ) = 2.67 Ohms total

Is this correct?

Hope that made sense?

Jester

DO NOT DO THAT

If you "add" speakers, it will change the crossover point, as well as render anything else in the crossover (like, a zobel network) useless. Bad news, very bad news........

Also, for the first part of you question, as other said....it has nothing to do with series or parallel within the crossover......it is a frequency spectrum thing, not a series/parallel thing. If you have an 8ohm tweeter (not two 4ohms in series, but an actual 8ohm tweeter) and a 4ohm mid, then the mid will receive the amp's 4ohm power and the tweeter will receive the amp's 8ohm power.