PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Coaxials

woofersus
02-21-2005, 11:42 PM
I am working on building my system and have decided to put 6.5" coaxials in the rear, as I frequently have passengers. I am looking for something kinda cheap, but don't want to get anything that will sound really crappy and distract from the sound up front. I previously had a set of Polk EX357a 5x7's in the rear of another car and was thouroghly impressed with them for what they cost me.

I was wondering if anybody here had any experience with the newer Polk db series. Do they sound as good as the old EX Series II's did? I can get them NIB for like $59 plus shipping.

Any other suggestions? I am willing to spend a little more, but would like to stay around $100 total.

elduderino
02-22-2005, 12:48 AM
R fill is a Communist threat to our way of life.

I frequently have R seat passengers in my Acura and they tell me how good the F mids and tweets sound back there.

Any speaker in that price range will break up in the range at the top of the woofer/bottom of the tweeter. Just put the money towards improving everything else...

woofersus
02-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Well, I don't know that I'd be cranking it up enough to really test the limits of the comps up front, so I'm not so much worried about the coax's in the back breaking up--just sounding really crappy.

Also, the rear speakers/no rear speakers thing is debatable. If the rear coax's don't stick out like sore thumbs and I keep their gain slightly lower than the front speakers, the soundstage should be pretty much alright. I can't see myself playing it loud enough for the front speakers to sound good from the back--especially when I have passengers.

Besides, I'm using the factory holes for ease of installation, which will likely result in a slightly lower than desirable soundstage anyway. I'm pretty set on coax's in the back and a 4-channel amp. I'd just like a few ideas on what would work well for such a setup, and to know if the Polk DB's sound alright like their predecessors or if they're crappier. Thanks.

ngsm13
02-22-2005, 08:31 PM
CDT cl-6x coaxials (or cl-5x if oyu need 5.25")

PM or AIM: djdilliodon
he is an AUTHORIZED CDT dealer, and will hook you up! Tell him i sent you...good prices on them!

NG

woofersus
02-22-2005, 08:33 PM
CDT, huh. Those seem to be the "thing to buy" right now. (or at least they're popular on this message board.) I've never heard any CDT speakers, but I'll check them out. Thanks.

ngsm13
02-22-2005, 08:42 PM
CDT, huh. Those seem to be the "thing to buy" right now. (or at least they're popular on this message board.) I've never heard any CDT speakers, but I'll check them out. Thanks.

Well, it's hard to touch the coaxials at the price...

I bought some cl-6x's and some cl-5x's for my girl's jeep grand cherokee to replace the stock speakers. Powered them with a good 60rms each...and they sound great! Got the TWO pair for $90 shipped too :)

NG

woofersus
02-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Well, buying unfamiliar speakers scares me a little, and the metal dome tweeter scares me a tad as well, but the prices are great, and it seems that CDT makes a lot of good quality products. I think I'll give 'em a try. This many forum users can't be wrong, right?

ngsm13
02-22-2005, 09:15 PM
Well, buying unfamiliar speakers scares me a little, and the metal dome tweeter scares me a tad as well, but the prices are great, and it seems that CDT makes a lot of good quality products. I think I'll give 'em a try. This many forum users can't be wrong, right?

Yup, i'm in Cincinnati...if you're not far away and care to take a listen in my girl's modest jeep setup...feel free to hit me up!

NG

woofersus
02-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks, but I'm nearly 3 hours from Cinci. I'm gonna have to go this one alone...

squeak9798
02-23-2005, 09:29 AM
Honestly, for something cheaper like co-axials......IMHO it's best to just go down to your local dealers and listen to what they have and pick something up from them. Then you'll get to hear them before you buy them aswell.

Also, Pioneer REV series co-axials are supposed to be pretty good. Don't know what they run price wise though......