PDA

View Full Version : cut optimizing

Tater_Salad
02-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Do any of you use a cut optimizer when cutting a sheet of MDF? I wanna try to optimize it and have not much waste and less cuts

InhumanAcura
02-21-2005, 08:04 PM
cut-optimizer?

no...math is good

Bigrick31
02-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Bueno?

Tater_Salad
02-21-2005, 08:13 PM
well how do you fit all the cuts on to a sheet of MDF? my HomeDepot sells sheets of 49"x97" 3/4" MDF and i dont want to buy 2 of them just because i couldnt fit 1 or 2 pieces on it

jellyfish420
02-21-2005, 08:15 PM
piece of paper, pen or pencil, and a calculator if you need it. figure out all your cuts, draw it on the paper. not too hard:)

edit: d@mn any your mdf is bigger :eek:
i only get 98"x46"

Tater_Salad
02-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Ive resorted to them primitive techniques.... :|
haha well thanks anyways

DBfan187
02-21-2005, 08:23 PM
i only get 98"x46"

mine are the same size as taters;)

jellyfish420
02-21-2005, 08:29 PM
mine are the same size as taters;)
all you guys ****!!!
i'm moving!!!

geolemon
02-21-2005, 08:34 PM
I wrote my own software... but it's only good for rectangular enclosures.

Logic built in, though, to calculate what panels I need based on the dimensions I input (two of the three), material thickness, various internal displacements, and of course the airspace I'm shooting for... and then calculates how to best lay those panels out on a sheet of MDF (I specify the dimensions of the sheet - handy for making use of scraps!) so they'll best fit, and then it plots it all out and gives me a printout.

Downside:
It's only good for rectangular enclosures.
I suppose I could expand it... but then I'd have to have it calculate which cuts had to be cut with the blade set at what angle, and all that... sounds like a lot of work. :(

Tater_Salad
02-21-2005, 08:41 PM
that acually wasnt too hard... I feel stupid for not trieng earlyer

azn121184
02-21-2005, 09:16 PM
piece of paper, pen or pencil, and a calculator if you need it. figure out all your cuts, draw it on the paper. not too hard:)

i only get 98"x46"

you're getting jipped by homedepot, but then again that's nothing new :D

Tater_Salad
02-22-2005, 09:42 AM
oh come on... Im not even gunna use all of the sheet

req
02-22-2005, 09:51 AM
I wrote my own software... but it's only good for rectangular enclosures.

Logic built in, though, to calculate what panels I need based on the dimensions I input (two of the three), material thickness, various internal displacements, and of course the airspace I'm shooting for... and then calculates how to best lay those panels out on a sheet of MDF (I specify the dimensions of the sheet - handy for making use of scraps!) so they'll best fit, and then it plots it all out and gives me a printout.

Downside:
It's only good for rectangular enclosures.
I suppose I could expand it... but then I'd have to have it calculate which cuts had to be cut with the blade set at what angle, and all that... sounds like a lot of work. :(

buffalo eh im in syracuse. my buddy (or two) goes to UB, and BU (****all them colleges in that small area)

mind sending that bit of software to me? :yumyum:

lol- personally, i just use autocad, but it would be nice to have a program that i can put in WxH+cubes+tuning = box tho :)

i lay out all my boxes on a 4x8 sheet of MDF with 1\16th inch seperations (thickness of the blade of an average saw) between each panel. i try to align all the 'big' rips together, the box usually has several sides that are the same in one dimension - and i try to cut those first. then cut that piece down into its different lengths :)

works quite well.

nGreve_sx
02-22-2005, 02:21 PM
you're getting jipped by homedepot, but then again that's nothing new

We get the bigger sheets here as well...and they only cost $18

geolemon
02-27-2005, 10:00 PM
I can't really send it...
It's just Excel based, and it still has bugs in it that I haven't resolved, but I know how to work around... mostly related to calculating where various panels will be plotted, for folded slot port enclosures.
One of these days I'll take a few hours to wrap it up.