PDA

View Full Version : Detaching the Faceplate

5tressRelief
02-20-2005, 02:02 PM
When my HU got stolen I made the mistake of not taking out my faceplate.

Im having a hard time explaining my question so bare with me. Lets say I had took out the face plate and they stole the rest of it. Would they be able to run it using a different faceplate other then the original? Even if its the same model. I was thinking maybe the faceplate had some kind of code built in that makes it only compatable with the stationary piece and vice versa. Some enlightenment would be useful =) thanks

JLCivic
02-21-2005, 09:33 AM
When my HU got stolen I made the mistake of not taking out my faceplate.

Im having a hard time explaining my question so bare with me. Lets say I had took out the face plate and they stole the rest of it. Would they be able to run it using a different faceplate other then the original? Even if its the same model. I was thinking maybe the faceplate had some kind of code built in that makes it only compatable with the stationary piece and vice versa. Some enlightenment would be useful =) thanks

a faceplate off the same model will definitely work(and maybe some faceplates from similar models).

FOSGATE JOE
02-21-2005, 09:43 AM
that ***** dud

joeboxer5876
02-21-2005, 11:23 AM
faceplates are not cheap to buy though. i checked on pioneer for my faceplate and it was $350

5tressRelief
02-21-2005, 04:29 PM
dang so it would pretty much be pointless to steal everything without the faceplate.... just the face plate costs as much as I payed for the unit =P thanks for the input guys

Wonderbread
02-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Most manufacturers are getting wise to the fact that their face plates were cross compatible so many are now making it so that one and only one faceplate will work with each unit.

azazel
02-23-2005, 12:06 AM
Make sure to keep all your serial numbers as well. It's really the only way you'll ever have a chance of getting stuff back.

AznRevlAzn
02-23-2005, 07:15 AM
you should have done what i did, open the head unit up, take some fishing line, tied it to the power wire or any other important looking wire, run it out of the head units vents, tie it to something sturdy. That way if someone steals my headunit, the fishing wire cuts the wires and no more worky radio.

JLCivic
02-23-2005, 08:52 AM
dang so it would pretty much be pointless to steal everything without the faceplate.... just the face plate costs as much as I payed for the unit =P thanks for the input guys

People get decks stolen with or without faceplates attached. Many thieves will steal anything. You can find used faceplates on ebay for much less than the dealer charges as well. Many of them are probably listed by thieves.