PDA

View Full Version : Decisions on DIY components!

ngsm13
02-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Ok, this is for those experienced or knowing people...no stupid *** comments in here.

Here's the deal:
I'm going to go with DIY components, Keep in mind...it'll be a set. I'll be matching a mid with a tweeter of my choice, send the mid off to Madisound and have them build me a custom passive xover for them:
Either will be powered by my PG Tantrum 400.4 bridged (230rms x 2 @4ohms)
My first choice!
-Two Adire Audio Extremis 6.8 mids, paired with the Vifa D26NC05-06 from Madisound. It's a 1" textile dome neodymium tweeter that Adire recommended for me with the Extremis in mind!

Now, with the RE group buy in mind...the XXX6.5's for $179 shipped for the pair, I thought of those. Same deal as above...paired with the Vifa tweeter and sent to Madisound for custom passive xover.

I'm not as familiar with the XXX6.5's specs, but the extremis 6 is well documented and obviously seems amazing! And yes, I'm also aware of the impedance differences...

I highly doubt that anyone has had experience with both, but I thought I'd ask for thoughts/comments to see what people think. So...go for it!

NG

paikiah
02-16-2005, 10:35 PM
It was bold of Adire to say the extremis 6 is a contender, if not a slayer of the scanspeak 8545. If that's true, then the extremis would surely be an insane driver to have.

However, as I just ordered the XXX 6.5, they are the best in the world. lol~~~

Seriously dude, if the 6.5's are any good, then they will replace my dyn mids. (Already took out the MD100 for the aura MR1) My fingers are crossed.

cjj2d
02-16-2005, 10:37 PM
I am hoping that the XXX mids live up to my expectations as well.

good luck, hard decision you have there.

ngsm13
02-16-2005, 11:57 PM
TTT need more input! peace

NG

steveh
05-31-2005, 04:18 AM
What about Maxfidelity. They're Dynaudio clones, but seem to be well received.

cjjackson85
05-31-2005, 04:26 AM
This thread is over 3 months old you *******, he bought my xxx mids anyways...

ngsm13
05-31-2005, 09:13 AM
This thread is over 3 months old you *******, he bought my xxx mids anyways...

Lol, and usually I AM considered to be too harsh ;) :crazy:

But yes, as stated I now own XXX6.5 Mids in custom sealed fiberglass door pods (made by me) and WOW do they sound amazing!

NG