PDA

View Full Version : Alpine wiring?

Marksman
02-15-2005, 03:28 PM
So I'm told that if I purchase an Apline head unit, I have to hard wire the power and ground to the battery/chasiss. Is this true? Or can I simply use the wiring harness.
I'm at school and dont have access to a garage so it's the difference between being able to install a new headunit here in the parking lot, or having to wait until I can get the tools/equipment I need to hard wire things.
Thanks for the help!

Randy Savage
02-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Use the harness.

Expy2000
02-15-2005, 03:30 PM
ummm just get the harness on Ebay for like 9 bucks, thats it..

"shazam mother *****!"

Randy Savage
02-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Don't even...spend the 25 bucks and go to a local BB/CC and get the smart harnesses- much easier to work with.

Marksman
02-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Okay, sounds good to me. Some just told me that Apline's tend to draw more current, thus you needed a stronger power/ground.
Thanks

Vestax
02-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Specifically, if you have the Alpine V drive for your internal amp, then most likely it'll draw more current.

Stock wiring is usually 18 awg, and the stock radio utilizes somewhere between 7.5 amps to 10 amps of current. Look in your manual to see if it'll draw more than that. Again, it's fine to use stock wiring. If you needed more current, then your internal amp power will suffer due to insufficient wiring, and your system won't be as potentially loud.

If it does, then you need to upgrade the wiring to at least a 10 awg for 15 of 20 amps of current. It doesn't hurt to go bigger, it's just more expensive.