PDA

View Full Version : 89 chevy help

pj_chevy03
02-09-2005, 11:59 PM
My friend has an 89 chevy pickup and asked my opinion on putting a cd changer in there. I didnt get a chance to take a look at the radio he has but he gave me a little bit of an idea of what he had.

First off, and i am hoping this will work, can you hook a cd changer up to a stock radio? He doesn't really care for a good sounding system so an aftermarket h/u is not a must, he just wants the ability to change cds, ya know. I don't think it's possible but if anyone knows of an adapter to make it possible give me a heads up.

I told him more than likely he would have to get an aftermarket h/u to hook a cd changer to it. Then he told me that the stock radios in the 89 chevy's had a narrower radio than most making it impossible to fit an aftermarket h/u in there. Topping that he said that the airconditioner is combined with the radio as well :mad: I'm not so sure about the aircoditioner connected to the radio though. That's more of a newer car thing I believe.

Maybe he is making it more complicated than it has to be. I'm gonna take a look at it Fri. and see where he can go from there.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

BigBoyBoelts
02-10-2005, 07:17 AM
You can hook up a CD changer to almost any radio with an FM convertor, he will have a little control pad on his dash somewhere to run the CD chager but it basically will run through the fm radio. for this radio you will also need 2 GM antenna adapters(thx GM!) for this to work.

Yes you can put an aftermarket radio in, metra i know sells a kit for those p/u's that is color matched(well close to color!) that replaces the factor tape location in the dash and a cup for the control box up top. there is also a 3rd part that is the brains that is up under the dash.

Good luck!