PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Dodge Caravan HU Swap

Doitle
02-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi, we own a 2001 Dodge Caravan with the stock unit in it. It's a cassette deck and we were hoping to put in a cd deck from maybe circuit city or something. The used Toyota Corolla we bought about a year ago had a nice pioneer unit in it and we were hoping to do something similar with the caravan. The only thing is I am not sure how they are wired from behind. I have never swapped out a HU before. Does it sound like it will be a hard thing to do? I'm assuming it won't be too bad since there shouldnt be any re wiring, just un plugging and plugging back in maybe? Anyhow any info or tips or instructions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

-Doitle

audiolife
02-07-2005, 03:42 PM
you need the proper install kit and wire harness. it also depends on if your caravan has an on board factory amp. if you are going to buy a new deck take advantage of free installation if not follow the instructions. only thing you might need is a spade on the remote amp turn on lead to plug into what you unhook.

Expy2000
02-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Sell the Caravan for a Durango or something..

How manly is a minivan..? <-- the eternal question

Free installation at BEST BUY, oh ****... <-- just IMO

Doitle
02-07-2005, 04:51 PM
I didn't know Best Buy offered free installation. I will surely take advantage of that then. Also it has no factory amp I don't beleive. It actually has a pretty nice speaker set up though. No idea on the brands but it sounds nice. It looks like 4 4x6 or 6x9's. I'm not positive as I've never popped off the cover but the shape is the same. It sounds pretty good though for being the stock barebones system for the vehicle when we bought it.

Also, the van is my moms lol. She wants to listen to cds and she only has a cassete deck. My corolla has a cd deck already. Not one of those female new corollas either, a full fledged 92' Toyota Corolla Ghetto Cruiser.

audiolife
02-07-2005, 06:18 PM

Free installation at BEST BUY, oh ****... <-- just IMO
its a deck in a COMMON vehicle there is just a couple things to look out for

Doitle
02-07-2005, 06:31 PM
So you mean it may not be that hard to do and that I might be able to do it myself? That is if they dont offer free instalation. I haven't figured out if Circuit City does or not, that's prolly where I'd get it. Just to play CD's they have like a ESA head unit for 29$ which looked like a deal.

audiolife
02-07-2005, 08:58 PM
they should match

KaeZoo
02-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Caravans (and many other Chryslers) are some of the easiest vehicles to install head units into. Make sure you have the correct parts and you should have no problem at all.

audiolife
02-08-2005, 01:07 AM
ground should need the spade and hook up the power antena lead should be ok since it only has 4 speakers you are probably pretty safe.

Doitle
02-08-2005, 10:17 AM
I think I've decided against the ESA... I've read the reviews on Circuit City itself, lol and they are horrible. Not one good review on there. Anyhow are there any good Heads out there, I'm not talking great but at least decent for under 80$? We only need cd, no mp3 or any advanced features. I just don't want to swap this thing out and have it sound worse :P. The Caravan sounds pretty decent currently but it just doesn't play cds... Anyhow the cheaper the HU the better cause we aren't rich people...

squeak9798
02-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Hit up junk yards and ebay and see if you can find a factory CD player for a decent deal. Should only be ~$75, and it would be super easy to swap out one factory headunit for another. And honestly, for the price range you are looking at, the factory CD player would possibly be higher quality than an aftermarket one.

But, here are some that would work for ya:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIODEH1700
http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIODEH2700
http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLADB245

And sounddomain is a very, very, very reputable place to purchase from, in case you were wondering :)

squeak9798
02-08-2005, 10:28 AM

I just bought a minivan, bastard :p:

mrteacha
02-11-2005, 04:38 PM
i actually just pulled my factory 99 caravan radio it works great... swapped it with a pioneer avh-6400 :) i can sell you my stock radio for $70 shipped you can check my references on ebay ---> Mrteacha