PDA

View Full Version : Most Reliable Cars

m3rK201
02-06-2005, 05:56 AM
Its all bs imo..And off topic, im tired of ppl saying us cars arent F$%CKIG reliable!! :verymad:

ighettoboyi
02-06-2005, 12:45 PM
cuz they're not lol

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/auto/cr/0304rel001.gif

bri487
02-06-2005, 02:24 PM
the company with the biggest wallet gets the best ratings.

m3rK201
02-06-2005, 02:38 PM
my whole family drives fords n gm's. No Bs ither, we never had problem with any car,no car ever died for no reason, matter fact my uncles drive there caddis from jerz to North caralina like every 4 months and hes bin doing this fir 7 years now car run awsome with proper care,again didnt die for no reason.IF any thing its just as reliable as a honda, the key word is how you take care of your car. For instance, living in jersey city most ppl who drive an domestic treat it like ****, oh and if it was an import they wash there car blah blah they get there car/oil inspectd every month lol I hope you under stand what im saying ?

m3rK201
02-06-2005, 02:40 PM
the company with the biggest wallet gets the best ratings.

^^ what he said..Im tired of domestic car bashing.

m3rK201
02-06-2005, 02:49 PM
cuz they're not lol

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/auto/cr/0304rel001.gif

Hyundai = Superior quality !! mercedes = junk ??? Gotta love that chart..proves alot bro.

iceteebone
02-06-2005, 02:51 PM
i can't believe jeep is in the bottom. my jeep has nearly 300,000 miles and have had no problems with it at all.

Bavarian3
02-06-2005, 02:53 PM
looks about right...

m3rK201
02-06-2005, 02:58 PM
I agree that proper care and maintenance are keys to vehicle longevity ... But that still doesn't prove that American vehicles, in general, are more reliable than Japanese vehicles ...

By the way, no one bashed any American cars ...

Oh i under stand what your saying buh not all japanse cars are reliable,mazda and mitsubishi imo arent up to par with honda and toyotas reliable.

m3rK201
02-06-2005, 02:59 PM
You're retarded ...

And this is only for 2002 model year vehicles :fyi: ...

bro i was being sarcastic,lol i dunt mean that :laugh:

Bavarian3
02-06-2005, 03:03 PM
i can't believe jeep is in the bottom. my jeep has nearly 300,000 miles and have had no problems with it at all.
ur car does not apply to new jeeps. VW used to be awesome great quality cars. Now its crap.

Spkrman
02-06-2005, 05:00 PM
you have to realize they take anything and everything that causes the car to come back.

that can range from a bad starter to a broken knob on the stereo.

The reason why caddy/BMW/mercedes are so "unreliable" according to that list is not because the motor designs **** - its because they have SO MUCH shyte on them... and there is SO MUCH that can go wrong with all of it.

Had they had of just gone by motor/tranny reliability those results may have been completely different.

Also take into account that not *all* the problems will ever be reported. Some easy fixes on certain cars will never be reported, and could possibly sway the results. Someone who just bought a brand new caddy/benz isn't going to want to tinker with their car - they pay for perfection. Someone who buys a civic can live with simple stuff going wrong.

The results are somewhat swayed, but they can give you some sort of an idea.... just way too general.

saywhat?
02-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Oh i under stand what your saying buh not all japanse cars are reliable,mazda and mitsubishi imo arent up to par with honda and toyotas reliable.

my mazda has 210,000 miles thank you....and this was when MAZDA made mazda....now its a ****** domestic company.

well atleast ford owns them now

Spkrman
02-06-2005, 07:09 PM
^^^ That is true ...

I wish they'd go by average cost per year (maintainence, repair, fuel) rather than problems per year but that would take a lot more effort ...

However, this still shows who has the best quality control ...

yea, that would be *the* way to do it. But yep... ton more work, and who wants to bother :)

Its not quality control as much as design. If a light goes out on the dash and your alternator no longer works, thats just a stupid design. Or if you take out your stock radio and your airbags don't work... things like that. Now if one thing that you may not care about breaks, you are going to have many more problems - something that requires warranty work.

Lets say you blow the fuse in your cig lighter... and you are a compete n00b and dont know what just happened. You PROBABLY won't take that in. But if that fuse blows, and all the lights in your dash go out, that means your bringing the car in.

GM is notorius for making completely unrelated things dependent on eachother... kinda like wiring in series vs wiring in parralel. Series, one goes out, and they all go out... parallel one goes and the other still works.

I'll take a well designed, well maintained, SIMPLE car any day :)

paikiah
02-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Hyundai nudged ahead of american cars? wow...

and I'm not suprised with Mercedes build quality these days.

m3rK201
02-06-2005, 08:55 PM
you have to realize they take anything and everything that causes the car to come back.

that can range from a bad starter to a broken knob on the stereo.

The reason why caddy/BMW/mercedes are so "unreliable" according to that list is not because the motor designs **** - its because they have SO MUCH shyte on them... and there is SO MUCH that can go wrong with all of it.

Had they had of just gone by motor/tranny reliability those results may have been completely different.

Also take into account that not *all* the problems will ever be reported. Some easy fixes on certain cars will never be reported, and could possibly sway the results. Someone who just bought a brand new caddy/benz isn't going to want to tinker with their car - they pay for perfection. Someone who buys a civic can live with simple stuff going wrong.

The results are somewhat swayed, but they can give you some sort of an idea.... just way too general.

^^ my hero :) well said.

ighettoboyi
02-07-2005, 10:11 PM
i still don't see what's so surprising. i'd put money that my cousin's brand new hyundai would cause less headaches than my other friends brand new e320 assuming they regularly maintained it (which would also cost less for the hyundai).

AcidicDreams
02-08-2005, 04:01 AM

yup exactly what I was going to say, I've worked at high end auto dealerships and this is true. People who own a caddy or a benz will bring their car in because the temp guage moves 1/15 of an inch (which is why some cars these days sit dead center unless it moves out of a certain range, then it goes full hot)... IMO ford, chevy dodge etc are great cars... though I would suspect that in the long hall (150,000+ miles) your japanese cars are more reliable.. also one lemon vehicle will mess up the whole line... ie cadillac catera (AWFUL JUNK!!) or the VW new beetle.. and notice who sits at the bottom..... IMO the only "Junk" cars are land rovers... you wouldn't beleive how many need full rebuilds to the engine etc... but now that they use ford engines they should get better...

JimJ
02-08-2005, 08:41 AM
IMO the only "Junk" cars are land rovers... you wouldn't beleive how many need full rebuilds to the engine etc... but now that they use ford engines they should get better...

well, they're British, what do you want :D

Ford trucks do show signs of age after a while...my dad's '91 F-150 is pushing 200K on a rebuilt engine, although my van is at 135K on the original without any problems. We'll see. After it goes over 200,000 I might very well get a new vehicle...looking at a Toyota 4x4.

req
02-08-2005, 09:40 AM
well, they're British, what do you want :D

Ford trucks do show signs of age after a while...my dad's '91 F-150 is pushing 200K on a rebuilt engine, although my van is at 135K on the original without any problems. We'll see. After it goes over 200,000 I might very well get a new vehicle...looking at a Toyota 4x4.

i was looking at a toyota 4x4 or a nissan. but it kinda ***** cuz its hard to find a V6 4x4 xcab thats standard :(

i really dont like american cars. my whole family has had problems with chevy (from what ive seen) and it pisses me off. the window broke in my cavalier (pully detached and window fell into door)... then like two weeks later, our 3 year old F1500 had the same problem.

and before that on the F1500, the freaking transmission 'misses a step' after going into 2nd gear it feels like. sometimes its quite the jolt too. the stereos **** and all the lights 'magically died' (on the stereo mind you) algon with the roof light (fuses are fine and i cant get the **** thing apart)

oh yea. and the door handle gets stuck in the out position and you cant open the door from the inside sometimes. WTF is that?

there are just so many problems with this **** truck..

seems like things never change. **** 2000 year vehicles. :mad: i hate chevy.

JimJ
02-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Nah, I wasn't thinking about a new Toyota...would probably go with a 71-80 Land Cruiser if I had the choice. The less-trendy alternative to the CJ7.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/coolfj40_1826_21511620

http://store1.yimg.com/I/coolfj40_1826_21782050

skeptikal
02-08-2005, 11:58 AM
if people would take care of their cars they would last alot longer than people expect them too. i mean there are somethings you cant avoid like accidents and the engine blowing up. A buddy of mine had like a 1989 honda something i mean it looked like sh*t but it still ran like a champ with d*mn near 275k miles on it before he sold it.

JimJ
02-08-2005, 12:06 PM
i mean there are somethings you cant avoid like accidents

somehow I've avoided that in three years of driving, while most of my friends haven't. Of course, that probably means when I do get in one, I'm probably not coming out in one piece...

req
02-08-2005, 12:11 PM
if people would take care of their cars they would last alot longer than people expect them too. i mean there are somethings you cant avoid like accidents and the engine blowing up. A buddy of mine had like a 1989 honda something i mean it looked like sh*t but it still ran like a champ with d*mn near 275k miles on it before he sold it.

but sometimes **** just breaks for no reason. for example on my fathers truck. the window just was rolling down, and then it made a loud knocking noise, and dropped in the door. i mean. WTF mate. :uhoh:

same thing with the door handle. you pull on it to open the door. and it stays in the 'out' position. wtf happend to the springs to pull it back in? i mean seriously.

the tranny is also somthing that we have no controll of. we dont go 4 wheeling or anything. just road driving and the occasional hauling of furnature. and it will cost a shitload of money to fix i can imagine - if they havnt shelled out the cash to do that yet.

things like oil changes, car washes, regular inspections and things like this are user maintenance... but **** just not working on a relativly new car? no wonder why their ****in warranties **** so bad. :thumbsdo:

squeak9798
02-08-2005, 12:17 PM
somehow I've avoided that in three years of driving, while most of my friends haven't. Of course, that probably means when I do get in one, I'm probably not coming out in one piece...

x2

My worst accident (that I've been involved in) thus far has been when I backed my car out of the garage without putting the door up first :wacky: Daddy wasn't too happy about that situation.....and I had to pay for a new door :crap:

req
02-08-2005, 01:02 PM
where do you learn\store this **** jmac?

i mean, seriously. if i were you, id gladly give up X amount of brainpower for X amount of immune system :p:

Raven
02-08-2005, 03:25 PM
My worst accident (that I've been involved in) thus far has been when I backed my car out of the garage without putting the door up first :wacky: Daddy wasn't too happy about that situation.....and I had to pay for a new door :crap:

Hahaha, I did the same thing on my old car. It nearly ripped my hand off. Luckily doors are cheap coming from scrapyards.

Anyhoo, the most durable vehicle I've seen in the Bicentenial Ford F150. Around here, there are at least 7 of those bad boys, all the same make and year, driving around. No idea as to the milage on them, but (imo) a d*mn good truck.

There's also the European Toyota Hilux (sp?) which has been nicknamed "the immortal" by several owners.

squeak9798
02-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Hahaha, I did the same thing on my old car. It nearly ripped my hand off. Luckily doors are cheap coming from scrapyards.

LOL.....no, I backed through my garage door :D Hit the wrong button in our 2 door garage........the left door went up, I was in the right side bay :uhoh: Didn't realize the wrong door went up till I ran into the one on my side.........

paikiah
02-08-2005, 09:09 PM
The toyota Hilux is what the original 4runners were based on, but with a rear cover and seats.

A friend of mine has one to transport his go-kart behind it. Seriously uncomfortable car for me, but he seems to love it.

JimJ
02-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Never got into an "accident" bad enough to have to pay for something...a lady tapped her SUV against my rear bumper once, and although mine didn't have a scratch on it (metal bumpers, yay) but I glared at her and gave her some choice remarks about using a cell phone when driving a vehicle that might be too much for her to handle :)

Spkrman
02-08-2005, 11:18 PM
I glared at her and gave her some choice remarks about using a cell phone when driving a vehicle that might be too much for her to handle :)

hehehehe

nothing makes me more upset than seeing a lil girl in one of those big SUV things with the pickup bed.

1: she has no reason to drive something that dam big

2: those things are useless.. what can you REALLY fit in that tiny bed???

Too many people in big @$$ vehicles that have no idea how to handle them...

kev7706
02-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Getting back to the original topic, I don't think any automotive company can claim ultimate reliability. However, having taken apart many vehicles part by part, there is simply more thought, more engineering, more attention to detail in Honda/Toyota vehicles* than any other companies. However, this does not mean that F150s (or any other vehicle for that manner) can't go problem free for 300,000 miles. But, given their stance on quality, Toyota/Honda vehicles TEND to last longer and have less problems.

*Many other vehicles have been built to the same standards(i.e Nissan/Inifiniti, older European luxury cars, etc.), but these standards have been present in nearly every Honda and Toyota vehicle produced.

ighettoboyi
02-12-2005, 11:35 AM
my 89 mazda 626 was 1000000000x more reliable than the 89 accord that was out then. maybe not as solid as the camry but it was faster than both lol maybe 16sec 1/4 mile w/110 hp haahahaha. this was when mazda was highly respected. i only mention this cuz when i was sixteen me and my friends would always "race" with our slow pieces of ***** lol those were the days

lsufan778
02-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Getting back to the original topic, I don't think any automotive company can claim ultimate reliability. However, having taken apart many vehicles part by part, there is simply more thought, more engineering, more attention to detail in Honda/Toyota vehicles* than any other companies. However, this does not mean that F150s (or any other vehicle for that manner) can't go problem free for 300,000 miles. But, given their stance on quality, Toyota/Honda vehicles TEND to last longer and have less problems.

*Many other vehicles have been built to the same standards(i.e Nissan/Inifiniti, older European luxury cars, etc.), but these standards have been present in nearly every Honda and Toyota vehicle produced.

I agree with this completely. Honda/Toyota/Nissan are ENGINEERED. Ford/Chevy/GM/etc are MARKETED. Japanese cars are built solidly and the engineers put a lot of time into making sure they function properly. Domestics tend to have less engineering but more power, features, etc for the price.

I am not saying domestics are bad. They just aren't up to par with the Japanese vehicles in certain aspects. I would still consider buying domestic.

$ 0.02

Weece
02-22-2005, 11:13 PM
man a guy around here has one of those for sale that looks exactly the same as that one :cool: .

ballenm04
02-23-2005, 07:01 PM
OK so here is the best car ever made and I think that that it might shock you all. It is the car that is taken care of. That is the best answer that I can givre you. I have a 1997 Toyota Camry that has 150,000mi on it and it still drives like a dream. All that I have done to it is regular maintanance and other small things that have come up. The best way is to no procratinate. When you put off something on your car, then your car might put you off.

Bigrick31
02-23-2005, 08:27 PM
i had an 85 nissan pickup wiht 185000 on it still drove like a champ till i rolled it. even then me and some guys fliped it back up and it still drove just fine

ighettoboyi
02-23-2005, 10:42 PM
jap cars just last forever what can i say, i'm gonna try and squeeze over 200 out of mine

SKyleS
02-24-2005, 10:15 PM
I think that list is BS. No way Ford cars are more reliable than Chevrolet/Pontiac/Volkswagon cars. No way.

Dozerboy
02-24-2005, 11:00 PM
I had a 92 Blazer with a 4.3 that went a hard 235K with no problems till I rolled it. A few friends and a few trucks two OT of oil and I was back in the mud. With no glass, what so ever and the roof smashed to the seats. I sold it to a friend for the wheels and the motor that I believe is still running. My 97 4.3 Blazer has 160K now. I personally most likely will never buy anything but domestic.

I have a post in the set gain thread if yall could take a look. Thanks

Stu
03-14-2005, 06:17 PM
my 93 850 volvo is running strong, just had the clutch replaced now im good for another 100,000

datguyclark
03-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Because Consumer Reports, Lemon-Aid, and every other company that tracks vehicle reliability conspires against the American car companies ... :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm quite suprised at how "poorly" BMW did, along with many of the European companies ... and Cadillac (would've never expected Caddy to be the least reliable GM division :p: ) ... Also suprised at how well Hyundai did considering every Hyundai I know of starts falling apart after like 2-3 years ... :laugh:

It's a well-known fact that Honda and Toyota produce the most reliable vehicles on the market, although Toyota's repair costs are quite high and both companies have rather bland style ... There's a reason why they hold resale value ... even though I despise Honda :p:

cadillac is nothing new to the repair world...how can a car be reliable that has an assload of different computers, like the northstar...also the cooling systems in cadillacs are a disaster, ***** the owners manual tells to that adding bar's stop leak to the cooling system is required matinence...<<cant be good

toyotas are good cares, not big ***** that goes wrong, for the most part the toyotas that i work on are ussualy in for the same thing...starters..

hondas have strong motors and will run a long time, but have well known issues with the window motors burning up, windows jumping off track, door locks coming off the latch and issues like that...

Hyundai's are not horrible cars, its just when they built them they tried to save money and went cheap on the ignition system, thefore leading to needing new plugs wires and ignition components after about 50k....not very impressive

BMW's <u>can</u> be good relaible cars, but people do not know how to maintain them, therefore they have issues that in many cases could have been avoided, especially if u can find a good mechanic to fix it, <- just extremely hard to find

BUT...of all the cars to get, from my personal experience and opinion, the cars to generally stay away from (at least i will NEVER buy one) are dodge-chrylser (cept maybe* some of the new chryslers)..***** dodge still refuses to recall hundreads of thousands of dakota's which have already caused 7 deaths because the ball joiont randomly pops completely out of the knuckle....its ridiculous

datguyclark
03-17-2005, 10:48 AM
my 93 850 volvo is running strong, just had the clutch replaced now im good for another 100,000

^^^getting a little ahead of yourself are we??? its hard to predict a car being good for 100k, no matter what kind of car it is... :rolleyes:

paikiah
03-17-2005, 06:51 PM
dodge still refuses to recall hundreads of thousands of dakota's which have already caused 7 deaths because the ball joiont randomly pops completely out of the knuckle....its ridiculous

according to fight club, it's cause the mftr weighs cost of recall vs lawsuits. :P

BASS OUTLAW
03-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Hyundai, Daewoo, Kia <--- BS! well am currently driving KIA *retarded* , my uncle got a Daewoo Nubaira <-- got computer issues that costs alot...
Hyundai <--- can say the coupe got nice looks... and everything.. but its still korean.. so i hate it....all korean cars fall appart after 2-3 years (in my country 1 year and u better sell it out and get new one)
Japanese is alright... i like it..
and BENz > BMW <-- 4 me

thats chart is very strange :(

kickerlivinloud
03-17-2005, 07:24 PM
My 91 Centery's got 213 on it and other the the first 3 mins the engine is on (only when its cold out) it runs like a dream. Still tons of power, great handling. Other then the fact she dosen't like the cold a perfictly fine car for her age and milage.

Jon

SSS 18734
03-17-2005, 07:30 PM
My dad has a 96' Crysler Town and Country with 280,000 miles on it. It's never had any major problems... from what I recall some computer chip had to be replaced once and the fuel pump also had to be replaced.

ighettoboyi
03-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Hyundai, Daewoo, Kia <--- BS! well am currently driving KIA *retarded* , my uncle got a Daewoo Nubaira <-- got computer issues that costs alot...
Hyundai <--- can say the coupe got nice looks... and everything.. but its still korean.. so i hate it....all korean cars fall appart after 2-3 years (in my country 1 year and u better sell it out and get new one)
Japanese is alright... i like it..
and BENz > BMW <-- 4 me

thats chart is very strange :(

maybe africans just get shafted with everything lol

m3rK201
03-17-2005, 08:03 PM
my moms mecury 94 tracer wagon was so reliable, i mean we had it for about 8 years, and has never never had any problems never!! Awsome car evin tho it was slow *** hell and cant get u laid buh it was very reliable for my family. And my moms current car is an 02 escort se which has bin also very reliable also, evin tho my mom hasnt had a oil change in 2 year...she keeps adding oil...ya :eek: shes a nub..Now my car i drive is 95 talon esi which has bin nothin but problems since i had it !!! :mad: For instance i smell gas inside the car for no reason (still btw) The car had brand new brakes installd 2 months ago and now they need replacing, and after i brake at 80 mph lightly of course, the rotors vibrate very badly! Now sum thing is wrong with the pullies, makin a very loud noise and causeing my engine to idle ruff and feel slugish...Eh its nice car tho buh needs to me maintd, i paid 2k for it, so that isnt that bad of a deal..The ricers love my car :uhoh:

paikiah
03-17-2005, 08:39 PM
older korean cars were more reliable than it is now. We used to use a whole lot more jap parts.

If you think korean cars aren't that reliable, you should see what we get in the domestic market. The export models are supposedly a lil more reliable. :(

Expy2000
03-17-2005, 08:43 PM
As long as Ford beats Chevy..

I dont care..

I would be curious on what a Ferrari/Lamborghini/AstonM. would rate..

datguyclark
03-18-2005, 05:16 PM
just because you guys have cars with 200k on them doesnt make that kind of car reliable, it just means the particular one you have is....its more a matter of how common the problems are nationwide...just because the car is rated sh!tty in consumer reports or something does not make a car ****** it just means the chances of it sh!tting on your are alot more likely