PDA

View Full Version : Need quick help in the middle of install (head unit heating up)

Mindless
02-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Head unit = Pioneer deh-650
Car= 1993 grand prix

Ok mind you im replacing cause my eclipse fryed...
I'm allmost positive i have all the wiring correct. .I have one of those aftermarket clips thats labled ... Granted the powers yellow and remotes red which through me off at first ...
N/e way i get it hooked up and it heats up FAST ... wondering what can cause this? I've been trouble shooting and found that if i run a grounded wire acrost the outside cage its sparks bad ..

Im at a loss ... Any help would be great

Thanks
John

Mindless
02-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Help please

Vestax
02-02-2005, 08:46 PM
A constant 12 volt through your head unit will not let your head unit burn up on its own. Now if you're shorting out something, then that'll cause problems.

Do you have digital multimeter? Check to see if you have a constant 12 volt on the yellow wire. Then a switched 12 volt on the red wire. And try to ground the unit to the car's chassis, not the cage.

Another possible culprit is a blown speaker. A bad or blow speaker will have a drop in resistance, therefore it may cause your head unit to output more power than it has to.

Mindless
02-03-2005, 01:38 AM
My comps are new ...Im grounding it on the ignition (The key) for the test ... I knoticed my speaker would hum with the car off b4 the last radio fryed .. I think my amp may be the problem....Im at a loss...The comps are relativly new cdt-cl62's

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
Edit: Unhooked amp at battery ... still heating ... Gonna have to try to re-wire for scratch (uggggggg) if no one can help me :crying: :crying:

Zombietime
02-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Sounds to me that either your wiring is screwed up somewhere or you have a defective head unit because that doesn't sound right. Have you tried calling Pioneer for assistance?

Mindless
02-05-2005, 04:53 AM
Naw it was bought used form a reliable source ...