PDA

View Full Version : coax or component

Looney_Tune
02-01-2005, 05:35 PM
First off, i want to take out my two rear 6 1/2s so i can get better air flow to the cabin and get rid of some rattlin. Anyway, i was thinking about selling all four of my Alpine type s speakers and get a decent pair of components. Ill probably spend around $200 for it if I do it. Any Suggestions. (thinking about alpine type r off ebay)

BTW, since my budget is kinda low would i be better off just putting an amp to a pair that i already have.

Also, I really never thought about putting an amp to my "door" speakers (till i came here) and really dont exactly know how to hook this up with the components. Any sites i can go to.

THANKS

Alpine2005
02-01-2005, 05:47 PM
i would go with type-r component speakers on the front and type-r 6x9 speakers on the rear

Looney_Tune
02-01-2005, 05:54 PM
type r 6x9s on the rear?

Alpine2005
02-01-2005, 05:57 PM
yeah. just buy some 6x9 boxs.

like you said i want to take out my two rear 6 1/2s so i can get better air flow

Looney_Tune
02-01-2005, 06:14 PM
gettin rid of the rear 6 1/2s to get get better airflow from the trunk into the cabin because my trunk is rattling like hell from my 2 15s

Looney_Tune
02-01-2005, 06:46 PM
anybody else?

Looney_Tune
02-01-2005, 07:09 PM
i dont bite.

squeak9798
02-01-2005, 08:02 PM
First off, i want to take out my two rear 6 1/2s so i can get better air flow to the cabin and get rid of some rattlin. Anyway, i was thinking about selling all four of my Alpine type s speakers and get a decent pair of components. Ill probably spend around $200 for it if I do it. Any Suggestions. (thinking about alpine type r off ebay)

BTW, since my budget is kinda low would i be better off just putting an amp to a pair that i already have.

$200 total (amp + components)? If so, you are pretty limited for options, but it can be done for close to that. For amps look into Profile. For comps, RE RE comps and Oz Audio Vectors are probably the best options in that price range. Kicker Resolutions...though I don't know how much they cost.

In all honestly, I'd probably pick up an amp for now, and save up a little more money for speakers. No sense in compromising if you don't have to.

Also, I really never thought about putting an amp to my "door" speakers (till i came here) and really dont exactly know how to hook this up with the components. Any sites i can go to.

What exactly don't you understand?

Looney_Tune
02-02-2005, 06:55 PM
I dont understand how you would hook the speakers to the tweeters to the factory wiring, do you plug them all in the crossover? Also, I dont have a place to put the tweeters or anything like that, do I have to get a Q-logic kick panel if i were to get components.

Raven
02-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Basically, for components, you have the crossover. Speaker line goes in, and you have two seperate lines going out to the woofer and the tweeter. Really simple, IMO.

My first opinions about your predicament are questions. How urgent is this? Do you have any brand preferences? Do you drive people around a lot? What do you feel about rear fill?

A lot of people here will say just lose the rear fill. Try it. Fade your rear speakers out so all you get is the front. Like it? If so, you can save some money and not buy rear speakers. But if you drive around a lot of people, you will probably need it. They won't know the difference, so cheap coaxials will work back there.
Front speakers... try not to skimp on the install. You can make a $100 speaker sound great, but you can also make a $600 speaker sound horrible.

Looney_Tune
02-02-2005, 07:18 PM
so the two speaker wires from the car go into the crossover, then you hook the woofer and tweeter wire into the crossover?Right? Do you need to buy a crossover if I wanted to put an amp on my coaxs?

If i were to just put an amp on my front coaxs (alpine type s) would my speakers be loud enough without the rear fill since im only getting about 18w to each of the four speakers from my HU.

Raven
02-02-2005, 07:53 PM
See the attachment. Standard crossover network. IN comes from your amp (not RCA), out goes out.

Looney_Tune
02-02-2005, 07:58 PM
what do you do with the two wires that come from the car? leave em? Does the power come from the RCAs when you hook them up to the HU from the amp?

almost there, work with me.

squeak9798
02-02-2005, 08:23 PM
what do you do with the two wires that come from the car? leave em?

If you are talking about the speaker wires on the HU; yes, you just tape off the ends (with electrical tape, so that they don't short out) and you do not connect them to anything.

Does the power come from the RCAs when you hook them up to the HU from the amp?

The power for the amp? No, the power from the amp comes from the car's electrical system (exactly the same as a sub amp, you need to connect it to power and ground, and run to a remote on wire)

Looney_Tune
02-02-2005, 08:35 PM
GETTING LOST?

These are the steps(not in any order for now) that i think you do when hooking up front speakers to an amp.(which is obviously wrong) correct where needed.

BTW, These are steps for the Coaxials (not components, thats next)

1. hook up the amps power, ground, and REM then the RCAs to the HU.

2. hook speaker wire (that comes with the speakers) to the amp and speaker itself.

Now where does the speaker wire thats in the door that was disconnected from the factory speakers go? Or is this all wrong.

Looney_Tune
02-02-2005, 09:29 PM
gave up already?

Looney_Tune
02-02-2005, 09:53 PM
so many hits, so little replies

audiolife
02-02-2005, 10:24 PM
power line battery to amp. ground amp to car chasis. remote line from cd player to amp. rca cables from cd player to amp. SPEAKER OUT speaker wire out from amp to cross overs (where ever you decide to put them. do this left and right each door gets a mid and a tweet so 2 sets of wires from speakers to (left and right) crossover (again each speaker needs 1 line) everything else cap off do not use.

Looney_Tune
02-02-2005, 10:39 PM
are component sets generally only used if you have or buy kick panels or if you decide to fabricate something to mount your tweeter on?

basically what im saying is if you dont buy or take the time to make a kick panel or something to mount your tweeters to, it would be better to just put an amp to a pair of coaxs?

audiolife
02-02-2005, 11:22 PM
build the kicks if you can with a point sync coax is great VERY EASY alot of times a mtx 6000 set (yes i know its cheap) will have better results this way than a mid level mb quart or diamond mounted in the doors. i have seen it done and done this once. just like mounting a coax

Looney_Tune
02-03-2005, 12:12 AM
So, basically im going to stick with the coaxs since i dont have either the tools or money to build a kick for the components.

ONE LAST QUESTION, What do you do with the speaker wire that you disconnect from the factory speakers considering that im am going to stick with my coaxs.

liar2
02-03-2005, 12:19 AM
you're going to amp these coax's? We already stated, if you are amping them, the speaker wires will be coming from the amps. You then tape off the unused speaker wire coming from the head unit.

audiolife
02-03-2005, 12:46 AM
i wouldnt use the facory wires becomes a headache especially if you have a factory amp

Looney_Tune
02-03-2005, 04:58 PM
So the sound (generally speaking) from the HU goes through the RCAs to the amp, then speaker wire from the amp to the coaxs, then tape the wires off in my door.

audiolife
02-03-2005, 05:16 PM
yup. a trick i never thought of was used at bby when i worked there. it was done alot (not by me) but when stuff started going wrong sure enough (even 6 months later) when the factory amp died from too much input lmao it in my best assumption isnt a good idea to tap. i like keeping the add on its own thing so it can be isolated as its own problem if something happens

Looney_Tune
02-03-2005, 05:29 PM
Good *****

now for the components, sound goes from RCAs in HU to amp, Speaker wires to the IN terminal on the crossover, speaker wire from speaker to speaker out on crossver, then speaker wire from tweeter to tweeter out on crossover?

audiolife
02-03-2005, 06:16 PM
2 xovers each x over handles 1 tweet and 1 mid

Looney_Tune
02-03-2005, 06:30 PM
while were on it, which of these component sets would be the best for my (ebay) price range?

Diamond Audio M661

RF FNQ3614

JL VR650

Alpine type R SPR-17LS

RE RE

Eclipse SC8264

CDT EF61Cfi

audiolife
02-03-2005, 09:02 PM
i hate eclipse mids and highs and really dislike the rfs as well the rest are pretty good

Looney_Tune
02-04-2005, 12:18 AM
im going to keep a pair of my coaxs for now, but would the Profile AP400 amp work for my pair of Alpine type S speakers. The speakers are rated at 45wrms and the amp is rated at 65wrms x 2 at 4 ohms and 100wrms x 2 at 2 ohms, do the Profile amps acutually put out their rated RMS or will my speakers be fine?

Looney_Tune
02-04-2005, 01:03 AM
boo

audiolife
02-04-2005, 01:26 AM
im going to keep a pair of my coaxs for now, but would the Profile AP400 amp work for my pair of Alpine type S speakers. The speakers are rated at 45wrms and the amp is rated at 65wrms x 2 at 4 ohms and 100wrms x 2 at 2 ohms, do the Profile amps acutually put out their rated RMS or will my speakers be fine?
would be alright its dependable you can get us acoustics and coustic pretty cheap on line as well

Looney_Tune
05-27-2005, 09:53 PM
bout to get a 2 channel amp from a friend and want to know if what im bout to do is right. (better safe then sorry)

no particular order:

RCAs from HU to amp
power wire from battery to amp
Gound amp to car chassis
REM from HU to amp
Speaker wire from amp to coaxs (tape off speaker wire in car door since im not running them off HU)

if i forgot anything LMK
BTW, I already have a BX1000D hooked up, is there anything special i might need since im going to have a 2 amp setup? Also, do I just connect both rems from each amp and connect them to the HU?

THANKS

Mackenzie
05-28-2005, 12:27 AM
You mentioned that your trunk rattles alot. Why dont you get it dynamated. If done properly you should have little to no rattle.

Looney_Tune
05-28-2005, 12:30 AM
cant afford it right now

squeak9798
05-28-2005, 07:36 PM
bout to get a 2 channel amp from a friend and want to know if what im bout to do is right. (better safe then sorry)

no particular order:

RCAs from HU to amp
Gound amp to car chassis
REM from HU to amp
Speaker wire from amp to coaxs (tape off speaker wire in car door since im not running them off HU)

if i forgot anything LMK
BTW, I already have a BX1000D hooked up, is there anything special i might need since im going to have a 2 amp setup? Also, do I just connect both rems from each amp and connect them to the HU?

THANKS

Since you have two amps, it would be easier for you to get a fused distrobution block to split the power wire you already have ran rather than run a 2nd wire all the way back to the battery. The fused distro block would allow you to use your current power to to power both amps. And yes, you can splice off of the current REM wire and run it to the new amp aswell.

Looney_Tune
05-28-2005, 11:46 PM
preciate it!

Looney_Tune
07-12-2005, 12:17 AM
RCAs from HU to amp
Gound amp to car chassis
REM from HU to amp

When I tape off the wire in my door do i also disconnect the front left and right speaker connections from my HU and tape those off since they are not going to be running off my HU, or do i need to keep those connected? I fugure i do but not 100%

Raven
07-12-2005, 01:00 AM
When I tape off the wire in my door do i also disconnect the front left and right speaker connections from my HU and tape those off since they are not going to be running off my HU, or do i need to keep those connected? I fugure i do but not 100%

You can, but since they are already disconnected at the other end of the wires, you don't have to.

Looney_Tune
07-13-2005, 06:45 PM
ok, bout to get a fused distro block so i can hook up my two amps but want to know how do i go about choosing the right fuse for the block to match my system? or is it even that serious?

Looney_Tune
07-14-2005, 07:36 PM
ttt

Looney_Tune
07-20-2005, 03:37 PM
TTT

do i just get the biggest size fuse the block can take?

Looney_Tune
07-20-2005, 11:51 PM
up we go

chinny
07-21-2005, 12:18 AM
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1034785#post1034785

TeenWolf
07-21-2005, 12:33 AM
cant afford it right now

Yeah, Dynamat is freaking expensive!!