PDA

View Full Version : /////ALPINE users click here! (survey)

noob with an RS
02-01-2005, 04:05 PM
hey, i would appreciate it if all you ALPINE users could post your BASS/TREBLE settings here on this thread. i basically want to do a survey and see what the majority of people set their BASS and TREBLE to and maybe tweak mine to the "norm." :up2somet:

BASS +4 (center frequency 100 hz)
TREBLE +4 (center frequency 15 khz)

Looney_Tune
02-01-2005, 04:07 PM
CDA-9825

bass 0 80hz

treble +4 (sometimes +2) 12.5khz

DFW40
02-01-2005, 04:17 PM
I have them both at zero....
That MX button in position 3 adds all the highs and lows that I would need and sometimes too much

c0la
02-01-2005, 04:39 PM
treble +4 17.5khz

bass -2(sometimes 0) 80 hz.

Vestax
02-01-2005, 04:45 PM
This thread makes no sense. 9830's and up have a 4 or 5 band parametric. And not everyone's running the same size speakers, +4 @ 100hz is going to blow out 4" speakers. And given that everybody has different taste in music genre's, different car environment, and different equipment, there's no median or a norm.

slack
02-01-2005, 04:50 PM
just for the hell of it ill post mine

cda9827

bass 0 or +1

treble 3 or 4

Ne1
02-01-2005, 04:53 PM
On my 7914 I have bass set to 0 and treble set to 3.
:D
Doubt if that'll help ya much tho! :cool:

noob with an RS
02-01-2005, 06:00 PM
+4 @ 100hz is going to blow out 4" speakers.

i don't think thats ABSOLUTELY true.. because i think if u used a crossover to compensate for the +4 bass then you could be alright. i use to use BASS +0 and TREBLE +4 with my infinity perfect 6.1 components. then i realized music sounded more "full" with the bass up more, but when doing so the low end of the woofer would distort (no duh.. perfects freq. response starts at 75 hz.) so i turned the crossover up for the HIGHS on the amp higher and it sounded a hell of a lot better. now i use +4 BASS +4 TREBLE.

noob with an RS
02-01-2005, 06:13 PM
This thread makes no sense. 9830's and up have a 4 or 5 band parametric. And given that everybody has different taste in music genre's, different car environment, and different equipment, there's no median or a norm.

my intent of posting this thread was to look for any pattern with the way people set up their BASS and TREBLE. and so far, i have noticed that the "norm" or majority (as i think you'd like me to refer to it as) of different people like their treble a couple of notches higher than their bass. this is evident being that the only three people who contributed to this thread besides me, have a lower bass setting than their treble. and im willing to bet that more than 50% of alpine users follow this same 'pattern'. I, on the otherhand USE TO do that too(BASS 0 TREBLE +4), but as of late, am starting to think i should maybe have my BASS and TREBLE setting the same (to achieve the flattest curve possible?) and work around that. i dont know though. i'm still experimenting with MY set-up. but like i said the point of this thread was to explore others' settings and maybe ponder about my set-up. i'm not looking for a magic number.. just very curious.. the more posts i get in this thread the more definite i can be with making a decision as whether or not to try working around different BASS n TREBLE settings.

Vestax
02-01-2005, 06:20 PM
i don't think thats ABSOLUTELY true.. because i think if u used a crossover to compensate for the +4 bass then you could be alright. i use to use BASS +0 and TREBLE +4 with my infinity perfect 6.1 components. then i realized music sounded more "full" with the bass up more, but when doing so the low end of the woofer would distort (no duh.. perfects freq. response starts at 75 hz.) so i turned the crossover up for the HIGHS on the amp higher and it sounded a hell of a lot better. now i use +4 BASS +4 TREBLE.

So have you seen an alpine unit with processing that will include crossovers but no EQ, just bass and treble? Most likely not.

And Perfects frequency response starts at 75hz... hmmmmmmmmm.... good one. What happen to harmonics below 75hz? Or is that at a 24 db slope crossed at 80hz or did you just read that off the infinity brochure? Riddle me this batman, what if I played a 35 hz test tone through your speaker, will I hear it or not? :rolleyes:

noob with an RS
02-01-2005, 06:28 PM
So have you seen an alpine unit with processing that will include crossovers but no EQ, just bass and treble? Most likely not.

i dont understand the point of that question. my 7995 includes crossover functions of 80hz and 120 hz. and no EQ. just bass and treble. right?

And Perfects frequency response starts at 75hz... hmmmmmmmmm.... good one. What happen to harmonics below 75hz? Or is that at a 24 db slope crossed at 80hz or did you just read that off the infinity brochure? Riddle me this batman, what if I played a 35 hz test tone through your speaker, will I hear it or not? :rolleyes:

umm. again i dont understand the point of this question. but i DO know that the crossover on the HU is off. and that the crossover (12db/oct) on the amp is set so that when i played a 50 hZ test tone on my amp it was ALMOST inaudible but not audible enough to be heard throughout the WHOLE cabin of the car. if u were to play a 35 hz test tone through my speaker you would BARELY hear it. i did it. and no, i BARELY heard it. what is your point? i like how my setup sounds so far.

Vestax
02-01-2005, 06:28 PM
my intent of posting this thread was to look for any pattern with the way people set up their BASS and TREBLE. and so far, i have noticed that the "norm" or majority (as i think you'd like me to refer to it as) of different people like their treble a couple of notches higher than their bass. this is evident being that the only three people who contributed to this thread besides me, have a lower bass setting than their treble. and im willing to bet that more than 50% of alpine users follow this same 'pattern'. I, on the otherhand USE TO do that too(BASS 0 TREBLE +4), but as of late, am starting to think i should maybe have my BASS and TREBLE setting the same (to achieve the flattest curve possible?) and work around that. i dont know though. i'm still experimenting with MY set-up. but like i said the point of this thread was to explore others' settings and maybe ponder about my set-up. i'm not looking for a magic number.. just very curious.. the more posts i get in this thread the more definite i can be with making a decision as whether or not to try working around different BASS n TREBLE settings.

Do you even know what bass and treble is? It's a 2 band EQ that will boost or cut at 100 hz and 10,000 hz respectively from -10db to +10db. Having said that, your peaks and dips is going to be different for every single stage, with speakers off axis, on axis, biased, with different tonality for every speaker company. Your goal to get a norm isn't going to give you more confidence that your system will sound right with the "average" setting. You need to fix it with a processor or do a better install.

Vestax
02-01-2005, 06:38 PM
i dont understand the point of that question. my 7995 includes crossover functions of 80hz and 120 hz. and no EQ. just bass and treble. right?

umm. again i dont understand the point of this question. but i DO know that the crossover on the HU is off. and that the crossover (12db/oct) on the amp is set so that when i played a 50 hZ test tone on my amp it was ALMOST inaudible but not audible enough to be heard throughout the WHOLE cabin of the car. if u were to play a 35 hz test tone through my speaker you would BARELY hear it. i did it. and no, i BARELY heard it. what is your point? i like how my setup sounds so far.

Again, we're going in circles. So if you like your set up sounds, why care how other people set their tonality when it or may not be relevant to your car's acoustic environment?

noob with an RS
02-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Do you even know what bass and treble is? It's a 2 band EQ that will boost or cut at 100 hz and 10,000 hz respectively from -10db to +10db. Having said that, your peaks and dips is going to be different for every single stage, with speakers off axis, on axis, biased, with different tonality for every speaker company. Your goal to get a norm isn't going to give you more confidence that your system will sound right with the "average" setting. You need to fix it with a processor or do a better install.

so are you saying that the "correct" BASS and TREBLE settings can be totally dependent upon other things besides the equipment such as: speaker placement, how big the car is, how far the speakers are, and such and such, etc..??? if so, how do i go about calculating this kind of stuff? all i know is that my components are in the stock locations of my integra.. woofer in the lower part of door and tweeter in the door panel. i dread using this speaker placement because i think i'm losing potential imaging and staging abilities but have no choice to.. for a while at least.. and yes i understand what bass and treble s as far as having 2 bands.. so thats why i have, as of late, decided that maybe setting the BASS n TREBLE equal will give me a flat band EQ spectrum waveform thing-a-ma-jig. as you can see im not an elite audiophile with tons of experience.. just an aspiring one TRYING to learn.

JimJ
02-01-2005, 06:45 PM
so are you saying that the "correct" BASS and TREBLE settings can be totally dependent upon other things besides the equipment such as: speaker placement, how big the car is, how far the speakers are, and such and such, etc..??? if so, how do i go about calculating this kind of stuff?

Yup.

You can't calculate this, if you did, it would put live sound mixers out of business permanently :D You set it up based on your listening preferences...this is where you pull into a deserted parking lot somewhere, and play with the settings until you get to a point that you like. Jot those notes down somewhere, so you have a baseline to make improvements the next time. But all your settings are going to be based on your listening preferences.

Vestax
02-01-2005, 06:45 PM
so are you saying that the "correct" BASS and TREBLE settings can be totally dependent upon other things besides the equipment such as: speaker placement, how big the car is, how far the speakers are, and such and such, etc..??? if so, how do i go about calculating this kind of stuff? all i know is that my components are in the stock locations of my integra.. woofer in the lower part of door and tweeter in the door panel. i dread using this speaker placement because i think i'm losing potential imaging and staging abilities but have no choice to.. for a while at least.. and yes i understand what bass and treble s as far as having 2 bands.. so thats why i have, as of late, decided that maybe setting the BASS n TREBLE equal will give me a flat band EQ spectrum waveform thing-a-ma-jig. as you can see im not an elite audiophile with tons of experience.. just an aspiring one TRYING to learn.

Exactly, tuning is depending on your car and install. As said on most boards, it's 90% install, 10% equipment. Imaging and staging requires a little more advance processing with time alignment and the use of equal pathlengths using kickpanels. Might want to upgrade to a higher end Alpine unit that will help you adjust it a little more.

Sorry man, don't mean to rag on you, I'm just one of the few on this board attempting to thwart misconceptions.

noob with an RS
02-01-2005, 07:09 PM
ok vestax i saw your ride through your sig and let me say first off that that $hit is HOOKED the fack up. i like. all i have in my ride are an alpine mp3 7995, a hifonics nx600 amp, and a set of infinity perfect 6.1 components. as far as tonality goes, my music sounds full yea.. but its missing the imaging part i think.. like i want to hear certain instruments "float" in the air and such, etc. . first off that takes speaker placement right? so we all know that.. but thats just something i cant work with right now (no money, no experience in fabricating). if i were to get a double-digit band EQ (i'm looking into getting an audiocontrol) and mess with it, could i expect to get a LOT BETTER tonality and maybe some imaging??? and when u say processor, you're basically referring to an EQ right??? or is a proccessor an EQ AND THEN SOME? sorry for nooby questions. :uhoh:

ANeonRider
02-01-2005, 07:32 PM
bass and treble = 0

just a crutch...

60_cent
02-01-2005, 08:14 PM

bass -2 at 63

treble +1 at 8 khz

ngsm13
02-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Well, anyways...I have the defeat on.

BUT, I always set my bass/treble at 0 and then adjust gains etc. from there! Oh, an no MX...and I own a 9835...and used to own a 7894!

NG

95RAM
02-02-2005, 12:08 AM
bass 0
treble 0

I have an old hu so i dont think it has the hz thinga ma bobs

iamamp3pimp
02-02-2005, 02:53 AM

bass@80 -7
treble@12.5k 2 or 3
mx level 3
sub level 0