PDA

View Full Version : h/u capabilities

jellyfish420
01-30-2005, 08:03 PM
what are somethings i should look for? i though 24 bit was something to look for...but i recently learned that either/or as long as its a quality h/u you cant tell the difference. but stuff like time alignment, and all the functions, and specs....what should i look for?

i'm not looking for brands!!! i can make my own decision on a brand, just witch functions are better to have, and witch ones are useless...

johnecon2001
01-30-2005, 08:32 PM
three sets of rcas, multi band parametric or graphic eq, mp3, aux in, etc.. im having a brain fart, so thats all i can think of.

iceteebone
01-30-2005, 08:36 PM
i have never really noticed a difference in sq with time alignment. like said above 3 rca's, aux inputs, decent crossovers, and good sub controls.

Slody4Futbol
01-30-2005, 08:43 PM
aux in... mp3... satellite radio ready... front rear & sub preouts... crossovers for front rear and sub... sub control... mute button **not everyone uses but some go crazy without**

**edit** everything i said was basically the same as everyone elses... but hey at least u know what 2 look for...

squeak9798
01-30-2005, 08:44 PM
It all depends on your application and the functions you need your headunit to perform. Having a built in EQ is nice, but not something every single car audio owner will need. Time alignment is really just a band-aid for improper speaker placement.....handy for some, not needed for others. MP3 capability all depends on whether or not you use MP3 CD's. Some HU's have built in 3-way xovers with high/mid (bandpass)/low, some just have simple highpass and lowpass. As mentioned; differing # of RCA preouts, some have two, some have 3 with built in sub level controller and whatnot.

So, first thing is to decide what you need it to do.

jellyfish420
01-30-2005, 09:16 PM
well i need at least 2 rca's,gotta have a better eq than just bass/treble! how many band eq can you get on a h/u? also mp3's...is there specs on how good they decode? i just got rid of my fosgate that did mp3 cause the decoder blows!regular cd's sounded good, but the mp3's just sounded like garbage, and when the bass hit sometimes it would scramble...is there some sorta standard or specs? or are some just better?

aphinney
01-30-2005, 10:01 PM
i always want at least 4v output to my rcas..but that is just me...and u can get a 13 band 2q...pioneer 860 has 6.5v and 13 band eq

squeak9798
01-30-2005, 10:13 PM
well i need at least 2 rca's,gotta have a better eq than just bass/treble! how many band eq can you get on a h/u? also mp3's...is there specs on how good they decode? i just got rid of my fosgate that did mp3 cause the decoder blows!regular cd's sounded good, but the mp3's just sounded like garbage, and when the bass hit sometimes it would scramble...is there some sorta standard or specs? or are some just better?

Well, you can get up to 13 bands on some of the higher level HU's. But, as someone mentioned earlier.....it isn't only the bands that matter. Some are parametric (center frequency and slopes can be changed) and some are graphic (center frequency and slopes are fixed).

If you are running subs, then it's nice to have that 3rd dedicated sub RCA output so that you have control over the sub level at your finger tips.

As for MP3's......check and make sure that the deck can handle high bitrates I guess.....

JoseMCeee
01-30-2005, 10:52 PM
alpine, eclipse, pioneer and maybe um..... kenwood is what i would stick to.

jellyfish420
01-30-2005, 11:40 PM
Well, you can get up to 13 bands on some of the higher level HU's. But, as someone mentioned earlier.....it isn't only the bands that matter. Some are parametric (center frequency and slopes can be changed) and some are graphic (center frequency and slopes are fixed).

If you are running subs, then it's nice to have that 3rd dedicated sub RCA output so that you have control over the sub level at your finger tips.

As for MP3's......check and make sure that the deck can handle high bitrates I guess.....
parametric and graphic which allows for better sound and which one is easier?
ya the 3rd rca...i really only need 2 but i like having the sub control, i guess it would kinda be the same as just fading it front to back, but what fun is that???
is that what to look for on the mp3? high bitrates?i never gave it much thought...i always just thought mp3 radios, were mp3 radios...

jellyfish420
01-30-2005, 11:42 PM
alpine, eclipse, pioneer and maybe um..... kenwood is what i would stick to.
those are pretty much the brands that i am considering....right now i'm just trying to find out which one best suits my needs;)

iceteebone
01-30-2005, 11:42 PM
ya the 3rd rca...i really only need 2 but i like having the sub control, i guess it would kinda be the same as just fading it front to back, but what fun is that???
is that what to look for on the mp3? high bitrates?i never gave it much thought...i always just thought mp3 radios, were mp3 radios...

imo the graphic is easier to use while the parametric gives you even more precise control. i guess i have simple tastes because i like the graphic eq better. i still don't know what the hell Q factor means.

cjjackson85
01-31-2005, 01:26 AM
Detatchable faceplate.

johnecon2001
01-31-2005, 02:12 AM
imo the graphic is easier to use while the parametric gives you even more precise control. i guess i have simple tastes because i like the graphic eq better. i still don't know what the hell Q factor means.

the Q is the amount of frequencies that you are affecting. the larger the Q the more frequncies. Example. If you want to adjust 80hz, and you have a Q of .30, you will roughly adjust the frequencies from 65 to 100hz with 80 being in the middle at the peak of the slop and the others being at the ends of the slope.

again this was just an example, but pretty close to the truth considering im really drunk.

3.5Max6spd
01-31-2005, 07:06 AM
I use the graphic....fortunatly my speakers require little to none eq- use it mainly for those ****** recordings that need a boost or cut here and there....

I dont use time alignment- found no real difference

squeak9798
01-31-2005, 09:00 AM

Parametric's nice because then you can target in on specific frequencies, whereas with the graphic you are kinda "stuck" with only certain frequencies and there is no ability to change them. However, you can sometimes drive yourself crazy with a parametric trying to find the perfect combination :) I personally like parametrics though.....I like being able to target in on what I need.

Also, if this is your first time with an EQ, remember; An EQ shouldn't be used to excessively boost frequencies, but to "tone down" frequencies (i.e. you shouldn't really ever use more than a few db of boost).

Raven
01-31-2005, 09:05 AM
I'd say the usual.

You need:
a dedicated sub out, or at least a seperate front / rear preouts.
Decent voltage preouts
If you're attaching anything to the HU, something semi-powerful, 20w+rms

You don't need but could find useful:
Dial volume knob
Small EQ (The 3 band eqs on pioneers are awesomeness in a can!)
CD Text
MP3 that handles higher than 256kbps and lower than 80kbps

Generally, if it suits the application, and is a little expandable later on for what you might need, it's worth getting.

Squeak, if anyone but me really followed that, I think hell would freeze over. =p

jellyfish420
02-01-2005, 07:31 PM
8x oversampling, 3-beam laser pick-up, 1-bit D/A Converter
is that good? i heard that 1 bit is as good as 24 bit if there is alot of oversampling...
is 8x good?