PDA

View Full Version : 2ohm component speaker opinions

Depression
01-29-2005, 12:40 AM
What are some opinions or PROS and CONS on 2 ohm component Speakers...specifically ID's CSX52's Chameleons....
I am very intrigued with these speakers obviously because the power handling is large but is the SQ the same as the CSX54's???

I would assume if these speakers where that great at 2 ohms that everyone would own them..... but I have heard very little regarding this ID set????
Any experiences or opinions on 2 ohm components???

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Randy Savage
01-29-2005, 12:43 AM
I've got a set on the way...the diff. in impedance won't make any difference- just makes them more versatile with diff. amps.

Depression
01-29-2005, 01:28 AM
LET ME KNOW ASAP HOW THEY SOUND......

So the "Only" difference is the impendance????

Why aren't more manufacturers going the 2 ohm route so we can double power on seperates like we do Subs???

hoss
01-29-2005, 01:36 AM
because you cant just change the impedence... its in the design. coils change, T/S change with that, inductance changes resulting in different response slopes which skews the whole system needing changes in crossovers, yada yada yada...

easier said than done, and alot of companies just probably dont feel like investing the money in research when they can already sell what they have.

and if you can ever hear a difference in impedence, you might be able to smell colors too.

(P.S.-- not to sound rude... but this was a pretty noob question for someone who has 1000+ posts)

audiolife
01-29-2005, 01:43 AM
LET ME KNOW ASAP HOW THEY SOUND......

So the "Only" difference is the impendance????

Why aren't more manufacturers going the 2 ohm route so we can double power on seperates like we do Subs???
if you install them right they will do pretty good they have won many sound offs and a very large portion of the score is its sound quality. they have pretty good output to.

Depression
01-29-2005, 01:54 AM
(P.S.-- not to sound rude... but this was a pretty noob question for someone who has 1000+ posts)

I realized that...I am not a noob with systems I have owned or bought but I absolutely am a noob in many aspects of technical stuff and lack the "experience" of most on here with installs and the science of systems...thats why I am on the forum....TO LEARN WHATS HOT AND WHATS NOT

But it's all good...I just am suprised that with 2ohms more people wouldn't jump at the power/sound increase unless there was some catch I did not realize...Thanks for the advice!

hoss
01-29-2005, 02:00 AM
haha, yeah, i wasnt trying to bust your balls there... just kinda stating an observation :)

another thing to consider though about why more companies dont do it... there arent alot of component sets that can handle a whole lot of power, and most 4-channels are designed to work with component sets and put out optimal power at the right range. so there isnt a huge market for them, not to say they wouldnt sell.

one thing i did just thing of though, in regards to designing the 2 ohm coil on the speakers... is that this could also be done on the xo board itself. but that would require some pretty big parts that would come too cheap. but... they wouldnt have to re-engineer the whole speaker, which could make it simpler.

Depression
01-29-2005, 02:08 AM
COOL,,,Again it's all good...Atleast I am not a NOOBIE IN DISGUISE like SUPA C

Yea..For me I am kind of in a bind with my next system where is I already have the amps and H/U (3 ARC AUDIO 2050 CXL's) got an amazing deal on Ebay for all 3 brand new in box for $300...

BUT!!!!!Now I am worried I do not have enough Juice to power the sound I ultimately want...I regret getting all 3 "low powered" amps although SQ is the goal and they are ARC AMPS...So When I realize I could go 70wattsX2 at 4ohms or 120@2ohms for the seperates,,,I got excited at the prospect of 120 watts driving them...my other option is to power the tweets with one anp and mids with the other...I posted a question about that issue last night..basically I want to configure my system for optimum performance with what I got but don't want to make a rookie mistake or buy bigger amps...

Randy Savage
01-29-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm looking at going with 250-300w/side with the ID's...nothing beats a lil headroom :)

Depression
01-29-2005, 02:31 AM
EXACTLY MY POINT!!!!!....Thats why I want to try and double my punch with these ARC AMPS if possible..